10 headers a week

David

Has the science taken into consideration the new lightweight footballs?

I can understand how footballers from the sixties and seventies may well have been adversely affected by heading the old heavy balls but today’s ball is like a beach ball.

And could it be clashes of heads which contributes greatly to the damage?

Once again, the rules from our past allowed much more physical contact and aggressive intent. 

2 hours ago, archram said:

How are they going to keep count? A gold star on the forehead for each header?

Up to the individual player, it’s just guidance, which some players may simply ignore or others can go to the coaches and say look, I’m concerned about future head injuries, I would like to follow this guidance.

Looks like it’s protection for the players from clubs that’s all so they can’t be fined/sacked for refusing to smash headers in all day.

On 29/07/2021 at 07:53, Anag Ram said:

Has the science taken into consideration the new lightweight footballs?

I can understand how footballers from the sixties and seventies may well have been adversely affected by heading the old heavy balls but today’s ball is like a beach ball.

And could it be clashes of heads which contributes greatly to the damage?

Once again, the rules from our past allowed much more physical contact and aggressive intent. 

Interesting point.  I’m sure Alan Shearer did a documentary about this a couple of years ago.  They weighed a modern football and one from the 60’s.  The modern one actually weighed more dry but the old one was significantly heavier when wet.