The EFL at it again? Blocking signings?

RoyMac5

15 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Bosman was forced on them by the European courts so...

Oh.

So...if Mel has any sense he'd ring up BoJo and point out that the Bosman Ruling was a dirty EU invention and the UK should return to clubs controlling the registrations of out of contract players. 

That way, straight line amortisation makes no sense. Mel wasn't trying to pull a fast one, he was a brave Brexit pioneer showing the way forward.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Maybe or maybe just a person not necessarily that comfortable speaking in front of the camera. Also, don’t most managers speak in cliches? That’s why I rarely watch them speak and, apart from an update on injuries, find pre-match press conferences a total waste of time.

Rooney may not be a good manager (maybe he’ll turn out to prove us wrong) but I think you’re on dangerous ground with what you seem to be implying.

Time will tell I guess ?

4 hours ago, Boycie said:

Who are the EFL ultimately reportable too?  FIFA? Eufa?

I genuinely don’t know, but the Bosman rule was forced upon it but somebody so they must be accountable to some body?

We need to put in a formal complaint.

I think in theory they're only accountable to the league members. 

There's no primary legislation for football in the UK which provides any legal basis for the organisations like the fa, Premier league, efl etc etc... 

7 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I think in theory they're only accountable to the league members. 

There's no primary legislation for football in the UK which provides any legal basis for the organisations like the fa, Premier league, efl etc etc... 

Could you not take it to a body like CAS. Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Not sure how that all works but they seem to be where many go if you believe the sports regulator to be wrong

12 hours ago, Boycie said:

I genuinely don’t know, but the Bosman rule was forced upon it but somebody so they must be accountable to some body?

No one basically it’s a cartel - but we signed up to most of it with the rest being made up

16 hours ago, JfR said:

I do wonder if we're in a similar position of not knowing exactly what restrictions apply to us. As Nixon says, the EFL decides on what restrictions are put in place, and he seems to suggest that the EFL have been changing or fine tuning the restrictions we are/will be under. Might it be the case that they haven't told us exactly what we can and can't do, and as such we can't move on transfers? 

This seems likely to me - If you play a non registered player in games that can result in (at best) replaying the game or (at worst) losing the points from the game

And it seems quite likely the EFL would throw a punishment at us if we did that - Since they've already shown they're happy to go after us for post-dated rule changes - So the club are probably (for once) being over-cautious 

Makes a lot of sense our of Rooney's pleas for 'help' for the club and squad

How we know it’s not the free agents wanting more than the efl salary cap or more than a year which is up to them. Derby know the rules of an embargo and that’s why they likely asked for more leeway which the efl said no. Instead why doesn’t Mel and Pearce just get the accounts in and pay hmrc. If we fail ffp at least we will have more time to prepare and will be out of an embargo. At this rate they will getting the books in by the 18th and by the time they are looked at we will be right at the end of the window and scraping for signings 

14 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

How we know it’s not the free agents wanting more than the efl salary cap or more than a year which is up to them. Derby know the rules of an embargo and that’s why they likely asked for more leeway which the efl said no. Instead why doesn’t Mel and Pearce just get the accounts in and pay hmrc. If we fail ffp at least we will have more time to prepare and will be out of an embargo. At this rate they will getting the books in by the 18th and by the time they are looked at we will be right at the end of the window and scraping for signings 

Totally agree on the accounts. What game are we playing by not submitting them yet. The total silence on all fronts I find slightly worrying.

3 minutes ago, RammingStone66 said:

Totally agree on the accounts. What game are we playing by not submitting them yet. The total silence on all fronts I find slightly worrying.

So we know that they haven't been submitted do we? Could be that we have submitted them but the EFL won't lift restrictions until they've reviewed them and decided they're fit for purpose (and we all know the speed that the EFL work at if they're of a mind to be difficult)....think people need to stop assuming things and wait for some communication from the club or the EFL....

3 minutes ago, RammingStone66 said:

we just don't know where they are, they could have been submitted for all we know?  Seems odd that the was a general sense that the club expected that restated accounts would be an outcome and had them to hand.  I can't think of a reason why they were not presented immediately they knew of the demand so I am assuming they were.

Does anybody actually know who it is in the EFL who actually looks at the accounts ? It could be Edna the tea lady who collects the lottery who knows and what with the newly assembled board members of anti Derby representatives who will probably have their own agenda against us. Am I right in believing that the new members were from Preston ( Peter Risdale who nearly destroyed so many clubs ) the Middlesbrough man ( no ladies it seems) and I may be mistaken here did the Stoke man get a position? If so they may be a little bit more helpful? 

As a second note maybe MM isn’t wanting to stick in the extra £8 million to make up the £13 million of losses allowed each year?

Thirdly I believe it takes a long time to put together 5 sets of accounts that have to be put in given all the changes needed not to mention the new covid impact and what you can and can’t do - especially when the EFL has given no direction at all about that.

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Does anybody actually know who it is in the EFL who actually looks at the accounts ? It could be Edna the tea lady who collects the lottery who knows and what with the newly assembled board members of anti Derby representatives who will probably have their own agenda against us. Am I right in believing that the new members were from Preston ( Peter Risdale who nearly destroyed so many clubs ) the Middlesbrough man ( no ladies it seems) and I may be mistaken here did the Stoke man get a position? If so they may be a little bit more helpful? 

As a second note maybe MM isn’t wanting to stick in the extra £8 million to make up the £13 million of losses allowed each year?

Thirdly I believe it takes a long time to put together 5 sets of accounts that have to be put in given all the changes needed not to mention the new covid impact and what you can and can’t do - especially when the EFL has given no direction at all about that.

#3 not convinced Sparky.  All the months of wrangling with EFL and we didn't run the figures using the traditional method?  Maybe the auditors are not so sold and hybrid schemes this time around?

#1 wasn't it a florest that took the third seat?

Could it be that due to the outcome of the hearing not stating that the accounts had to be submitted with a straight-line amortisation policy + the potential added stadium money, that maybe we have submitted draft copies to the EFL and we're either waiting for them to approve them so we can submit them with companies house etc, or they're not happy with them so we're in discussions about what needs changing and revising them.

i agree that the accounts should've been ready to be submitted once the hearing was done but maybe they were and the above applies?

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Could it be that due to the outcome of the hearing not stating that the accounts had to be submitted with a straight-line amortisation policy + the potential added stadium money, that maybe we have submitted draft copies to the EFL and we're either waiting for them to approve them so we can submit them with companies house etc, or they're not happy with them so we're in discussions about what needs changing and revising them.

i agree that the accounts should've been ready to be submitted once the hearing was done but maybe they were and the above applies?

That's basically it, as per the Chris Coles Twitter thread above. Except we're trying to agree the amortization method with the EFL before we submit anything, rather than just submit and have them reject it and set off a whole new round of charges etc.  The written reasons from the DC2 hearing were pretty clear that we intended to submit something that wasn't just a straight-line anyway. 

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

As i said ??

Screenshot_20210726-141216_Twitter.jpg

10 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

That's basically it, as per the Chris Coles Twitter thread above. Except we're trying to agree the amortization method with the EFL before we submit anything, rather than just submit and have them reject it and set off a whole new round of charges etc.  The written reasons from the DC2 hearing were pretty clear that we intended to submit something that wasn't just a straight-line anyway. 

The additional stadium money could be holding it up too

Edited by DCFC1388

20 hours ago, Boycie said:

@Boycie Just received a reply from  the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, and the IFO is the body to contact. Although after the Twitter post from Chris Coles today, I am more hopeful that the EFL are taking a less aggressive approach to one of its member clubs and perhaps the club are also looking for a better relationship with its regulator.

Thank you for your correspondence of 24 June to the Minister for Sport and Tourism, Nigel Huddlestone MP, regarding Derby County Football Club. I am replying as a member of the Ministerial Support Team at the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
Football clubs, such as Derby, form an integral part of their local communities and it is vital they are protected.
It is understandable that fans will be concerned for the future of their club. The English Football League referred the case to an Independent League Arbitration Panel which has now ruled. It is not for the government to intervene in this legal process. However, if you wish to take this matter further then you can contact the Independent Football Ombudsman (IFO) which was created in July 2008 by the football authorities, including the Premier League, with the agreement of the government. The IFO was established to receive and adjudicate on complaints which have failed to be resolved by football clubs or the football authorities, and can be contacted at: contact@theifo.co.uk