No signings

Topram

10 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Interesting theory.

There’s a certain point in the takeover process (near completion) that the club enters a default embargo isn’t there?

Thats right. For obvious reasons an outgoing owner can't buy or register new players.

Also thought that this might be linked to the season ticket situation. Other clubs in our division are selling them but we seem an outlier in terms of not selling them. Pearce gave the reason as uncertainty around Covid but that applies to every club & hence I believe thats a smokescreen. I think its actually to do with the renegotiation with new owners that would need to happen should a large influx of new cash come into the club i.e. season ticket funds

If the takeover wasnt close & we were supposedly as skint as everyone says, why on earth would we turn down the prospect of a massive cash injection from season tickets? Makes no sense. I think takeover is happening in a matter of days...feel free to bookmark ?

Edited by LeedsCityRam

If these players know why they can’t sign yet, Rooney knows why they can’t sign, the club knows why they can’t sign, then bloody come and tell the fans why they can’t sign. All this cryptic nonsense “we need help internally and externally” just come out and say it say why, maybe not Rooney but certainly Mel and or SP, just be straight and honest with us for once! 

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah right that's gonna help. 

It is vital to cut costs in football.

And if our club's expenditure had been affordable, we wouldn't be under an embargo or facing restrictions. Our financial situation tells us that footballer salaries are too high.

I cannot believe that there are not good footballers willing to play for £0.5m per year. If they would rather play for a lower level club for less money, or sit at home without a club, then let them. There must be some good players who will want to play for Derby.

Just now, Ken Tram said:

There must be some good players who will want to play for Derby.

Rooney has said that the one's he has on trial do and that they've had other offers, we know Carroll has from QPR. But to suggest they play for peanuts just because you can live on it is nonsense. Jimmy Hill will be spinning in his grave! ?

9 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Which era are you from. 

Isn’t that below the  going rate ! 

The going rate is obscene.

I cannot believe that footballers will turn down £0.5m, if the alternative is giving up playing football, and going down to the Jobcentre to find a job on a zero-hours contract paying at the national minimum wage.

We, as fans, should say, "Enough is enough."

Everyone is bemoaning the quality of our players. Apparently, they all need to be more clinical in the final third, according to Shinnie. Well, surely, £0.5m is more than enough - far too much - for players who are insufficiently clinical.

I think there is a world of difference between the overall view that football needs a reset on salaries, which I agree with, and the individual situation of each club. 

If Derby are only being allowed to set a salary level at a fraction of the going rate for Championship clubs (and we are only guessing that £11,000 is the figure, the EFL could be saying less) then it's really not fair on the players to be asked to play at this reduced rate because it's Derby. 

Maybe we could do what Fulham have done, and sign a £12 million player that we don't have to start paying for till next year, oh and would you mind waiting for your wages, too? ?

1 minute ago, Ken Tram said:

The going rate is obscene.

I cannot believe that footballers will turn down £0.5m, if the alternative is giving up playing football, and going down to the Jobcentre to find a job on a zero-hours contract paying at the national minimum wage.

We, as fans, should say, "Enough is enough."

Everyone is bemoaning the quality of our players. Apparently, they all need to be more clinical in the final third, according to Shinnie. Well, surely, £0.5m is more than enough - far too much - for players who are insufficiently clinical.

You won’t change the Football philosophy of TV deals and Premier League cash ruining the game overnight mate. 

Good luck with that. 

37 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Thats right. For obvious reasons an outgoing owner can't buy or register new players.

Also thought that this might be linked to the season ticket situation. Other clubs in our division are selling them but we seem an outlier in terms of not selling them. Pearce gave the reason as uncertainty around Covid but that applies to every club & hence I believe thats a smokescreen. I think its actually to do with the renegotiation with new owners that would need to happen should a large influx of new cash come into the club i.e. season ticket funds

If the takeover wasnt close & we were supposedly as skint as everyone says, why on earth would we turn down the prospect of a massive cash injection from season tickets? Makes no sense. I think takeover is happening in a matter of days...feel free to bookmark ?

Matter of days, 48 hours more like….

How can football have a sustainable future if the spending limit allows an average ongoing annual loss of £13,000,000 per year?

Jimmy Hill earned £10 per week, or something.

There is a middle point.

Ultimately, fans need to be able to fund football. Do we want to pay two or three times the ticket prices? No! So, we need to slash costs.

1 minute ago, Ken Tram said:

How can football have a sustainable future if the spending limit allows an average ongoing annual loss of £13,000,000 per year?

Jimmy Hill earned £10 per week, or something.

There is a middle point.

Ultimately, fans need to be able to fund football. Do we want to pay two or three times the ticket prices? No! So, we need to slash costs.

It can’t be done individually it has to be done collectively .

I get your angst but that’s the way it is now. 

I pay my SKY subscription so can’t really argue with players wages as it’s entertainment.

I wouldn’t go to a West Life concert in the past though as it costed a fortune.

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think there is a world of difference between the overall view that football needs a reset on salaries, which I agree with, and the individual situation of each club. 

If Derby are only being allowed to set a salary level at a fraction of the going rate for Championship clubs (and we are only guessing that £11,000 is the figure, the EFL could be saying less) then it's really not fair on the players to be asked to play at this reduced rate because it's Derby. 

Maybe we could do what Fulham have done, and sign a £12 million player that we don't have to start paying for till next year, oh and would you mind waiting for your wages, too? ?

I wouldn't mind waiting for my wages of I had several million in the bank.

How can we argue that a team of players in a team hovering around the relegation zone are providing value for money. I don't enjoy watching us lose. It makes me feel fed up. I do not think that they each provide £0.5m value.

So, paying them less is not unfair.

Loads of people predict our relegation. The bookmakers seem to think that people will bet on that outcome too!

So why not stop throwing more good money after bad. This is a good opportunity to offer a more realistic salary - and see who comes! And, if they don't, not many think it will make a difference to our league outcome anyway.

I am not suggesting that football salaries are slashed to what fans earn! But £0.5m feels too high for an average player, but if that is the EFL limit, it does not seem too harsh.

22 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

to suggest they play for peanuts just because you can live on it is nonsense.

Actually, if a footballer was given the choice between working on a building site, or playing football - for the same wages - I on think that they'd nearly all choose football.

But, £0.5m is not peanuts!

I am not suggesting that they work on the national minimum age - or even a typical salary. 

I am just saying that if the reason that we cannot sign players id because they will not play for as "little" as £0.5m per year, then we should not sign them.

19 minutes ago, Curtains said:

You won’t change the Football philosophy of TV deals and Premier League cash ruining the game overnight mate. 

Good luck with that. 

It is up to fans!

If they are happy, they can let it carry on.

If they are unhappy, they can stop it.

If our situation does not persuade us to make changes happen ... then we will just sleepwalk into disaster.

A Super League was nearly started this season ... with no promotion and relegation. Derby would never have been able to get into the top tier league. Never. 

A National League South team has had losses of £2.6m, £2.6m and £1.6m over the last three years.

The only way to change things, is to take a lead. Doing things the way that everyone else does it does not lead to change.

I'm probably wrong! I have been on my soapbox, and I seem to be a lone voice.

Many say that the Premier League is the best in the world. So, the system works, if what we want is good football to watch on telly around the world.

But, if it does not work for fans who like to watch in real life ... and if we do not change it ... before long, we will have a Super League, and football will be something to watch at home.

23 minutes ago, Curtains said:

It can’t be done individually it has to be done collectively .

I get your angst but that’s the way it is now. 

I pay my SKY subscription so can’t really argue with players wages as it’s entertainment.

I wouldn’t go to a West Life concert in the past though as it costed a fortune.

I agree! The football system works well at producing brilliant football on telly.

32 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

I wouldn't mind waiting for my wages of I had several million in the bank.

How can we argue that a team of players in a team hovering around the relegation zone are providing value for money. I don't enjoy watching us lose. It makes me feel fed up. I do not think that they each provide £0.5m value.

So, paying them less is not unfair.

Loads of people predict our relegation. The bookmakers seem to think that people will bet on that outcome too!

So why not stop throwing more good money after bad. This is a good opportunity to offer a more realistic salary - and see who comes! And, if they don't, not many think it will make a difference to our league outcome anyway.

I am not suggesting that football salaries are slashed to what fans earn! But £0.5m feels too high for an average player, but if that is the EFL limit, it does not seem too harsh.

You're missing the point though. If the EFL have put a much lower limit on what our club can pay, we can't compete for signings.

Why would a player come to us for £0.5m when they can get £1m anywhere else? 

We just might as well have been relegated already if we can only afford to pay League One salaries.

I agree with you that salaries are too high generally, but that doesn't help our situation when every other club is paying them.

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I’d love to hope you were right but if it was this close why would Rooney be so negative about it all? The way he has spoken makes me think it’s a lot further away than we hope…