Tamworth

Sean

1 hour ago, jono said:

It’s ok because I think they are both part of the kingdom of Mercia (according to FFP rules ) 

Tamworth was actually the capital of Mercia for a few hundred years. This statue is just outside Tamworth station. That’s about the limit of our claim to fame apart from the Robin Reliant and the Tamworth pig.?

5F87C2C1-BE10-4EA9-8AC0-7A9D76FBEEE4.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Tamworth was actually the capital of Mercia for a few hundred years. This statue is just outside Tamworth station. That’s about the limit of our claim to fame apart from the Robin Reliant and the Tamworth pig.?

Don’t know why a one legged centre back came to mind.......budgetary restraints??

40 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

That’s Æthelflæd, Lady of the Mercians. Alfred The Greats eldest daughter. She kick some Vikings butt. 

In 917 she sent an army to capture Derby, the first of the Five Boroughs of the Danelaw to fall to the English, a victory described by Tim Clarkson as "her greatest triumph". 

1 hour ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Just by jewsons also ? I've lived in tamworth from birth

You’ve ruined the image now for anyone not familiar with Tamworth by mentioning Jewsons.

I deliberately didn’t say that Tamworth station is a 1960’s monstrosity in the hope that some may conjure up this image of a quaint medieval town. ?

2 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Sir Robert Peel twice Prime Minister and father of the modern police force and also happens to share his surname with me

Yes; Also had connections with Burton-on-Trent...Peel House, Peel Croft (former home of Burton Rugby Club) and Steve Bloomer is known to have played football there on at least 3 occasions. 

27 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

That’s Æthelflæd, Lady of the Mercians. Alfred The Greats eldest daughter. She kick some Vikings butt. 

In 917 she sent an army to capture Derby, the first of the Five Boroughs of the Danelaw to fall to the English, a victory described by Tim Clarkson as "her greatest triumph". 

This is indeed erudite stuff. Are you sure you've logged onto the right site? You're taking this Board to a too high a level and @David will start to worry. ?

48 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

What amazing times these must have been. I live near Queenhithe in London which Alfred the Great used as the docks when repopulating London 30 years earlier. How had the great Roman walled city of London come to have been abandoned? If it weren't for Alfred, would we nowadays be thought part of Scandinavia with our proud Viking heritage?