Lee Buchanan

Kernow

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

So if we could get couple millions, I'm certain he could be replaced for less money. Heck, we might get replacement for free á la Neil Taylor.

The thing with the academy is, for it to be worth the money, we either have to be getting useful first team players from it, or we need to be selling players to make a genuine profit.  Buchanan hasn't been amazing yet, but he's looked decent, and this season is the point where he should be kicking on and cementing his place in the first team.  If we sell him now for a couple of million, considering the academy costs while he's been here (£4m a year, or something like that), we're basically selling him for a loss.

In legacy terms, the academy is basically the only bright spark in Mel's ownership. If we have to flog the best young prospects to cover the financial mess he's made everywhere else, then what has he achieved at all here? Literally nothing.

9 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The thing with the academy is, for it to be worth the money, we either have to be getting useful first team players from it, or we need to be selling players to make a genuine profit.  Buchanan hasn't been amazing yet, but he's looked decent, and this season is the point where he should be kicking on and cementing his place in the first team.  If we sell him now for a couple of million, considering the academy costs while he's been here (£4m a year, or something like that), we're basically selling him for a loss.

In legacy terms, the academy is basically the only bright spark in Mel's ownership. If we have to flog the best young prospects to cover the financial mess he's made everywhere else, then what has he achieved at all here? Literally nothing.

horrible isn't it?  But he needs to sign a contract extension otherwise it is a nailed on loss

34 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Sadly,I hope it doesn't just come down to money but I could see it happenning..same goes for sibley and knight,our best prospects.

Until we can replace them then I beg to differ. We could sell Buchanan now for £2m which would be a fair fee, but without being able to pay a transfer fee, loan fee, a season long loan or a contract greater than a year. It doesn’t make sense to sell. Anyone we sell just goes to further securing our relegation this season. 

I know this is Derby County, arguably the second worst run club in English football currently, but even we can’t be this stupid? 

Forsyth will snap his ACL again and we go through the season with a 17 year old expected to play every game in the Championship. It’s unfair on the rest of the more established players in the team. Even more so on Rooney. 

30 minutes ago, Spanish said:

horrible isn't it?  But he needs to sign a contract extension otherwise it is a nailed on loss

We can’t offer him anything until we’re out of this embargo - equally if we were to sell him we wouldn’t be able to replace him because of this embargo.

We would get money if we moves on at the end of the season. I would rather that than whatever we have now. 

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

We can’t offer him anything until we’re out of this embargo - equally if we were to sell him we wouldn’t be able to replace him because of this embargo.

We would get money if we moves on at the end of the season. I would rather that than whatever we have now. 

thanks didn't realize the embargo would stop us negotiating something that had a year to run.  You say that we would be due money if he left at the end of his contract, is that due to his age/academy involvement

1 hour ago, kingsy1884 said:

I can't see this happening. Really under embargo and with such a small squad we should not be selling anyone as they still take up a place in the player of professional standing right?

You would be selling someone who we literally can't replace due to a technicality.

Eh?

If we sell a player of professional standing then it means we can bring in another player of professional standing. They don't still count once they're sold or released! ?

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

Eh?

If we sell a player of professional standing then it means we can bring in another player of professional standing. They don't still count once they're sold or released! ?

His point though, for the money we can offer and the market we are shopping in, as in the frees, we csnt exactly replace Buchanan with someone of his quality.

He has played for the England u21s and would have played more if it wasnt for Rooney inexplicably choosing Forsyth over him.

If we sell him it will be to pay next months wages no doubt.

Very tough times are approaching, buckle up it's about to get bumpy.

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

Eh?

But you would be hugely limited on who you can replace him with. Neil Taylor I have seen mentioned - is he accepting a contract worth less than £11.5k p/w? 

You might argue that the fee for Buchanan could go towards paying the bills to get us out of embargo, but that depends how much the bill is. If we’re scratching around for a million here and there to pay it, it’s hard to see that we’ll be paying transfer fees once we’re out of it. Loans would be a different story of course.

20 minutes ago, Spanish said:

thanks didn't realize the embargo would stop us negotiating something that had a year to run.  You say that we would be due money if he left at the end of his contract, is that due to his age/academy involvement

Yeah, we would be due compensation if he moves to any English (maybe British) team at the end of his contract. Obviously still not as much as we think he is worth, but better than nothing and we wouldn't need to try and fill another space in our defence this season.

24 minutes ago, nottingram said:

But you would be hugely limited on who you can replace him with. Neil Taylor I have seen mentioned - is he accepting a contract worth less than £11.5k p/w? 

You might argue that the fee for Buchanan could go towards paying the bills to get us out of embargo, but that depends how much the bill is. If we’re scratching around for a million here and there to pay it, it’s hard to see that we’ll be paying transfer fees once we’re out of it. Loans would be a different story of course.

Not just that, but only a year deal. Players might want a bit more security than that. That player could then leave for nothing.

I fail to see the point of even considering it, unless the money takes us out any restrictions, but that seems impossible.

13 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

I would say with reports that Celtic are in for Byrne that we may sell one not both.In terms of fee Byrne would command a greater one and probably the more preferable deal for the club. 

It would be the deal that makes most sense, we have McDonald and Ebosele already at the club to fill the void. Byrne would be a big loss though, he was our most creative player last season