Tom Carroll - Gone Ipswich

nottingram

22 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

Central midfield is one of the few positions we aren't lacking numbers in. This makes very little sense unless we are offloading some of the youngsters. CB and ST essential. 

We do have a lot of midfielders, but there either defensive mids or attacking mids. We don't have anyone who links defence and attack which was a big problem for us last season. Having said that, if we can only sign 4 players then other positions would still be a priority unfortunately. 

25 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

I somewhat agree but as seen vs Man U, Morrison can deputise in the forward roles. Having Jozwiak, Lawrence, Knight, Sibley, Ebosele as the only players who can play out wide and CKR and Stretton as the only strikers leaves us horrendously light imo (especially as some of those wingers aren't even natural wide men). At least Morrison gives us the freedom to play Lawrence more centrally as back up to CKR, but I admit its desperate times. 

We simply have to sign 3 centrebacks, we can't get through an entire season with just two. That leaves one place according to the DET, and I think that has to be a forward. 

BUT, we are lacking elsewhere as you say. The more I think about it, the more it seems like we're going to have to move some of the youngsters on if we are to build any semblance of a competitive squad. 

Forsyth and Buchanon “can” play centre back. Might not be ideal, but nothing about the current situation is ideal.

Good player who I'd be happy to have in the squad albeit someone in a position that isn't really a priorty especialy given how tight we are operating and that Bird is a similar player. Interestingly though it's a player that is somewhat against type from the type of players Rooney favored last season perhaps further suggesting that shift in terms of play style.

If we get some other positions sorted out and/or our embargo gets lifted I'd be happy to see us take him with just a minor concern of it blocking "academy" player development.

19 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Good player who I'd be happy to have in the squad albeit someone in a position that isn't really a priorty especialy given how tight we are operating and that Bird is a similar player. Interestingly though it's a player that is somewhat against type from the type of players Rooney favored last season perhaps further suggesting that shift in terms of play style.

If we get some other positions sorted out and/or our embargo gets lifted I'd be happy to see us take him with just a minor concern of it blocking "academy" player development.

Maybe were selling Bird

Different type of player to Morrison but would probably compete for a similar role and he’s a much safer bet.

He’s ok, offers more going forward than defensively and we do need some creativity. Pretty much a standard champ midfielder which is where we’re at.

Not sure why he’s here if QPR offered him an extension….odd!

10 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Knight?

Knight would make more sense purely because if we are going to continue with a 4231 he doesn't really suit either the deep laying position or the 10 position particularly well and he is the player in the squad that quite likely would fetch the biggest right now.

Even then I don't think it's massively likely to happen.

48 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Knight would make more sense purely because if we are going to continue with a 4231 he doesn't really suit either the deep laying position or the 10 position particularly well and he is the player in the squad that quite likely would fetch the biggest right now.

Even then I don't think it's massively likely to happen.

Indeed. It’s amazing to think how much Knight, Bird and Sibley will have devalued since Cocu left. 

Knight was looking like a good goal scoring box to box midfielder, bird a deep lying midfielder who knitted things together and Sibley the aggressive goalscoring attacking midfielder. 

They could have been our aces in the hole right now financially. Now they probably aren’t even worth half of what they potentially we’re this time last season and there’s unlikely any interest anyway unless we let them go for less that’s it’s worth to us to keep them.

Buchanan is probably the only one who’s done the best/retained most of his potential value.

So sad to see it unfold this way.