Tom Carroll - Gone Ipswich

nottingram

It's simplistic, yes. But I understand the process and agree our current fit 1st team options don't fit that plan. We also play 2 deep and one further forward in a midfield 3 now that sees us not being able to move the ball forward effectively because the space between midfield and attack is too much.

Shinnie could be the closest we currently have to a destroyer, but his tackling is more reckless than well timed.

Alas, we are beggars and not choosers currently. If we were to look at our young prospects who can play DM, I'd say Jordan Brown or Festy Ebosele are possible "destroyers" on the fringes of the first team squad. However, Ebosele is being used in wider positions currently.

5 minutes ago, roboto said:

It's simplistic, yes. But I understand the process and agree our current fit 1st team options don't fit that plan. We also play 2 deep and one further forward in a midfield 3 now that sees us not being able to move the ball forward effectively because the space between midfield and attack is too much.

Shinnie could be the closest we currently have to a destroyer, but his tackling is more reckless than well timed.

Alas, we are beggars and not choosers currently. If we were to look at our young prospects who can play DM, I'd say Jordan Brown or Festy Ebosele are possible "destroyers" on the fringes of the first team squad. However, Ebosele is being used in wider positions currently.

Really? Isn't his tackling his best quality? If he's not good at that what is he good at? ?

7 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Really? Isn't his tackling his best quality? If he's not good at that what is he good at? ?

If you ask Aberdeen fans I'm sure they'll tell you that his tackling is far from his best quality. He's definitely more of a runner. Has a decent engine and can recover well. He gets a lot of cards due to being a bit gung ho with slide tackles. The best defensive players don't slide into challenges, they position themselves correctly and block the ball/runner and stay on their feet.

3 minutes ago, roboto said:

If you ask Aberdeen fans I'm sure they'll tell you that his tackling is far from his best quality. He's definitely more of a runner. Has a decent engine and can recover well. He gets a lot of cards due to being a bit gung ho with slide tackles. The best defensive players don't slide into challenges, they position themselves correctly and block the ball/runner and stay on their feet.

I think his standing tackles and interceptions are good, I can't remember him going in for many slide tackles last season. I think he's best when he just sits in front of the back 4 mopping up and closing down space. Too often last season he was asked to do too much attacking wise as we didn't have anyone else who could link the midfield to the attack, he wasn't very good at it and it expended his energy that should have been used defensively.

If we could bring in someone like Morrison or Carroll to link up the midfield and attack and leave Shinnie to sit in front of the defense then we could have a midfield that works quite well, but we have more important problems with squad to address first unfortunately.

17 hours ago, roboto said:

I enjoyed Ebesole’s cameo in the friendly. Looked really gutsy and could control a ball. 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Definitely seems like we are trying to convert Ebosele into an attacker too. 

Not sure you can read too much into our player profiles on the official sote but Ebosele is down as an attacker.

It does also say Buchanan is a centre mid I think though 

11 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Not sure you can read too much into our player profiles on the official sote but Ebosele is down as an attacker.

It does also say Buchanan is a centre mid I think though 

Just going off what we’ve seen. I’ve only seen Ebosele play full back or occasionally winger in the youth teams but he came on much higher against Man Utd and then in some of the training shots we’ve seen he’s been basically up front. 

13 minutes ago, Srg said:

Just going off what we’ve seen. I’ve only seen Ebosele play full back or occasionally winger in the youth teams but he came on much higher against Man Utd and then in some of the training shots we’ve seen he’s been basically up front. 

Pace and strength if he does ok it wouldn’t be long before the vultures are bidding 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Definitely seems like we are trying to convert Ebosele into an attacker too. 

I think it's dangerous to try to convert a promising right back into a forward. 

I'm hoping this is an exercise in improving his final shot/ ball rather than a long term aim. 

Too many of our young players are being compromised by being played out of position. 

Festy needs space to accelerate like a jet. That's why he's best picking the ball up deeper. 

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I'm hoping this is an exercise in improving his final shot/ ball rather than a long term aim. 

Too many of our young players are being compromised by being played out of position. 

Festy needs space to accelerate like a jet. That's why he's best picking the ball up deeper. 

I understand your point but are we really saying that a teenager is type cast so early ? .. At that age you are a footballer, yes you may have certain attributes that point you towards defensive or attacking role but .. promising right back becomes hot shot right winger isn’t a big stretch and one with attacking leanings could easily move in to an AM role with the right coaching.. ( Bogle was always a winger in my book.. scared defenders but couldnt stop a cross ) 

4 minutes ago, jono said:

I understand your point but are we really saying that a teenager is type cast so early ? .. At that age you are a footballer, yes you may have certain attributes that point you towards defensive or attacking role but .. promising right back becomes hot shot right winger isn’t a big stretch and one with attacking leanings could easily move in to an AM role with the right coaching.. ( Bogle was always a winger in my book.. scared defenders but couldnt stop a cross ) 

Pretty sure Ashley Cole started out as a striker then converted to a left back and he ended up being the best left back in the world at his prime so it shows players can change positions. Wasnt Buchanan a centre back in the youth teams?!

Edited by DCFC1388

Wasn’t too bad for Gareth Bale - Southampton left back to Tottenham winger 

6 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Wasn’t too bad for Gareth Bale - Southampton left back to Tottenham winger 

Sure but we’re talking about very different players. Bale always had excellent touch and an eye for goal. Ebosele is an athlete who can take on defenders but his end product isn’t the best.

He’s great as an additional attacking threat but not good enough (in my book) as one of three attacking players.

We need goals. Is Ebosele going to score and/or create 10 goals in a season? I doubt it. I wouldn’t want to see him dropped for not hitting targets he’s not best equipped to achieve. His talents lie as a defender with pace.

That’s my opinion anyway. Delighted if he proves me wrong as I’m a big fan. He actually looks like he enjoys the game.

Wasn't he a winger converted to full back? 

Obviously we're seeing Maccy Dee as a better option there (also a converted winger) so why not look at using Festy, whose strength is in attacking where we could use his impetus as an impact sub.

On 21/07/2021 at 15:17, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He can pass. When he was here he got a bit swallowed up as he's not the biggest.  Plenty of premier league games since.  Not renewed at QPR though despite playing 21 games last season and a couple of non descript seasons before that.  A bit 50/50 on this one.

QPR fans on Twitter were saying he's very good if fit.

I thought he played nicely on Saturday as well.

3 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

I still don't get why he didn't sign at the R's and wants to play for us in our situation. His loan spell wasn't spectacular. 

Looks like competition. 

West London Gazette

He was in decent form for Rangers before being sidelined, but would face stiff competition for a place were he to stay.

Sam Field was recently signed on a permanent deal from West Brom and Luke Amos is on the way back from injury, while QPR are trying to agree a deal with Fulham to sign Stefan Johansen.

They have also expressed an interest in 22-year-old Ipswich Town midfielder Andre Dozzell.