It's not 5 it's 4! Choose again.

RoyMac5

2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

If we find a club for them then of course they can move on a free transfer.

Stop being so pedantic. 

Oh you think we can find them a club? So they’ll just do us a favour? And find his wages in their budget? Pay for his relocation costs? Use him in their squad ahead of players they have already?

My heads gone on this. People can’t seem to grasp some simple economics and some straightforward contractual law

28 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

Oh you think we can find them a club? So they’ll just do us a favour? And find his wages in their budget? Pay for his relocation costs? Use him in their squad ahead of players they have already?

My heads gone on this. People can’t seem to grasp some simple economics and some straightforward contractual law

No guarantees of course but Its is feasible that a few league 2 teams may rate two or three of our better youngsters? Wages wont be high. 

33 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

You can't seem to grasp that young footballers move on to lower league clubs all the time.

If they know they won't make it here then they will go.

3 minutes ago, Carnero said:

You can't seem to grasp that young footballers move on to lower league clubs all the time.

If they know they won't make it here then they will go.

You can’t seem to grasp that for that to happen another club has to want them and be able to afford them!!!!

The 4 signings are to cover the first few games of the season, this isn't all we are going to sign the whole window.

On that basis I would bring in Jagielka and Davies for CB (Cashin as back up) Morrison to add some creativity, then either Aluko or Baldock whoever performs the best in training and the friendlies.

@Carnero and @sage I would do anything drastic in releasing any youth players, just yet. If we sort out the hmrc and submit the accounts before the 18th August we will still have another couple of weeks to bring players in. 

1 minute ago, rynny said:

The 4 signings are to cover the first few games of the season, this isn't all we are going to sign the whole window.

On that basis I would bring in Jagielka and Davies for CB (Cashin as back up) Morrison to add some creativity, then either Aluko or Baldock whoever performs the best in training and the friendlies.

@Carnero and @sage I would do anything drastic in releasing any youth players, just yet. If we sort out the hmrc and submit the accounts before the 18th August we will still have another couple of weeks to bring players in. 

it is a gamble on when the EFL accept that there is no breach and remove the embargo though.  Many seem confident that even when worked traditionally there will be no breach; so why is it taking so long for either the club to produce them or for EFL to take the embargo off if they have already been presented?

22 minutes ago, rynny said:

I know you don't rate Wisdom but he is a million times the player Stearman is. He is also younger and more versatile. 

Stearman wouldn't be first choice CH with Jags, Mengi (hopefully) would. Wisdom is an average CH and a poor RB - versatile though. Bet he'll want more than Stearman too. Both can only sign for a year so unlikely we'll get 'added value' from either.

As for Wisdom being a million times the player Stearman is well I think that's unlikely. But it's possible he may bring the ball out better didn't see enough of Stearman to tell.

5 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

How is Festy Ebosele on the list? I thought he was out of contract with new terms offered?

How can he have signed when others offered new terms (Wisdom, Davies, etc) aren't allowed?

Have I missed something?

Yeah I missed that too. 

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think the point was how come he was allowed to sign?

Derby took up an option to extend I would imagine.  

Davies and Wisdom are out of contract and I wouldn’t sign them. Thats my opinion 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/Derby-county-transfer-wayne-rooney-5570213.amp

He is very good and maybe we weren’t under embargo then 

Edited by Curtains

8 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Derby took up an option to extend I would imagine.  

Davies and Wisdom are out of contract and I wouldn’t sign them. Thats my opinion 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/Derby-county-transfer-wayne-rooney-5570213.amp

He is very good and maybe we weren’t under embargo then 

I think he was 12 last time we were not under embargo?

Wisdom -  As much as he is maligned he is probably one of the better options to go for first in that he's a decent player at this level, adds an amount of pace, decent on the ball, a decent age and likely to get something like a season of games out of him. The only doubt is that he's currently injured (I think) and we desperately needs players for match 1 of the season.

Davies - If he's back fit he's a good leader and a good defender at this level. My main concern would be whether he has a lost a bit following another lengthy spell out as I thought he had when he came back in the autumn last year and it's far from a sure thing that we will get a full season out of him given the recent lengthy layoffs.

Jagielka - Was playing as in the premier league as recently as last year and ability wise has clearly been better than the other options and is really comfortable on the ball. Major question marks around his age and recent amount of playing time both of which are hard to decide without seeing him train. If he's fit and has any legs left he could be a very good option but we will have to think carefully how we support him.

Stearman - An ok player but never been a great player even at this level. Not a particularly good age and appearances have been dwindling in recent seasons. A player who might be ok as cover but feels like one to make up the numbers.

Mengi - Assuming we can actually loan him. Mengi is tricky for me because I feel like others see something in him that I just didn't last year where he looked incredibly error prone with no great talent to make up for it. Now he clearly must have something about him or else he wouldn't be spoken of so highly at Man Utd. It's just a question of how much has he kicked on? Would add severely lacking pace in the backline though.

Morrison - Massive talent, massive gamble. With only 4 signings to make right now I think this one might be too much of a gamble at the current moment especially as midfield is an area where we have both numbers and in my opinion, talent. It's one I'd possibly revisit when/if things open out for us.

Aluko - Decent player at this level and would provide sorely needed competition out wide. He's one of the few options that I think might have been a decent pickup in regular circumstances. Provides a bit of cover up front too.

Baldock - Never thought he was more than ok and I'm not really sure what problems he solves. Never really been the type to play up top on his own, his goal record has never been better than mediocre and isn't a great age. Would feel like a signing to make up the numbers and think it's worth giving Stretton his shot instead.

My gut call for the 4 would be Wisdom*, Davies, Jagielka, Aluko. Then looking to pick up Mengi and perhaps Morrison if things ease up a little. 

*Assuming he's going to be fit day one or else go for Mengi immediately

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Stearman wouldn't be first choice CH with Jags, Mengi (hopefully) would. Wisdom is an average CH and a poor RB - versatile though. Bet he'll want more than Stearman too. Both can only sign for a year so unlikely we'll get 'added value' from either.

As for Wisdom being a million times the player Stearman is well I think that's unlikely. But it's possible he may bring the ball out better didn't see enough of Stearman to tell.

Wisdom is probably the better overall player but I agree it's likely not a colossal margin. What I do think though is he adds more of what we need in terms of what he's good at it especially considering the other players being brought in. He can bring out the ball, is decent in possession, gives broader cover across the back and adds some pace to a backline that could be sorely lacking in it. He'd likely compliment someone like Davies or Jagielka better than Stearman would. 

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Mengi - Assuming we can actually loan him. Mengi is tricky for me because I feel like others see something in him that I just didn't last year where he looked incredibly error prone with no great talent to make up for it. Now he clearly must have something about him or else he wouldn't be spoken of so highly at Man Utd. It's just a question of how much has he kicked on? Would add severely lacking pace in the backline though.

I thought he looked alright when he played. I see him as a similar type of signing to Tomori. Similar age and attributes. Highly rated by his parent club. Tomori wasn't great at the start we have to remember, but he was playing week in week out and just got better and better. He had the experience of Keogh next to him and that helped form a good partnership. They complemented each other very well. By the end of the season Tomori was an outstanding player. I think we should get Mengi back and play him. Put him next to an older head and see how they get on. 

Just now, Rammy03 said:

I thought he looked alright when he played. I see him as a similar type of signing to Tomori. Similar age and attributes. Highly rated by his parent club. Tomori wasn't great at the start we have to remember, but he was playing week in week out and just got better and better. He had the experience of Keogh next to him and that helped form a good partnership. They complemented each other very well. By the end of the season Tomori was an outstanding player. I think we should get Mengi back and play him. Put him next to an older head and see how they get on. 

See Tomori was a different case in my mind. Tomori was raw when he first came in and made a lot mistakes but he clearly was great on the ball and extraordinary recovery ability both of which where there from day one. Put simply Tomori was doing things he shouldn't be doing but making up for it by doing things he shouldn't be able to do. I just don't see that with Mengi who looked ok in between mistakes but only ok.

Like I said before though I'll concede that there is likely something I'm missing with him and would take him back for another season under the expectation that he will likely progress fairly rapidly.