Is this the most depressing period you’ve experienced as a Derby fan?

Mostyn6

Christ. whats the worst that can happen?

We get relegated? I'll still go. A few new grounds. Still sing, still moan, still have a good time with my mates.

Administration? Points deduction? Relegation. I'll still go. A few new grounds. Still sing, still moan, still have a good time with my mates.

Club wound up and we start again in the isthmian league. I'll still go. A few new grounds. Still sing, still moan, still have a good time with my mates. etc etc.

We cant control any of it lads and ladies, enjoy your life. Football will still be there to dictate ours saturday evening moods forever.

I'm just disinterested now, every single month or so since the Joiners debacle I've been hoping that something gives me the hope back, but month on month it's just never ending disappointment, to the point where I really can't be bothered anymore and have found other things to spend my time on.

I do occasionally check to see whether there's any signs of things changing, but here we are still seemingly at square one.

18 minutes ago, Lander said:

I'm just disinterested now, every single month or so since the Joiners debacle I've been hoping that something gives me the hope back, but month on month it's just never ending disappointment, to the point where I really can't be bothered anymore and have found other things to spend my time on.

I do occasionally check to see whether there's any signs of things changing, but here we are still seemingly at square one.

For what it's worth as well, this isn't just related to us not being successful in terms of the league table, it's much deeper than that. I just want to feel confident that we're in a good position to make progress as a club and I don't feel like that, not being able to go to matches has really killed my enthusiasm too as it's just not the same.

I'm still clinging on to the hope that once we can all get back in there and get behind the lads on the pitch, that we'll get some good times back. Should we be fortunate to end up in a better position off the pitch at the same time, the two coupled together should see me feeling just as excited as I used to about football. One can hope!

I actually wasn't nearly as depressed for example when we were relegated to Div 3 as I knew there were people at the club capable and motivated to move us forward and was waiting for the renaissance to get us back on track again with an eager anticipation.

The whole situation now is just meh - the club is being gradually suffocated with no palpable end in site, the current owner is unwilling or unable to take decisive action either way to move us out of this mess and we just appear to be stumbling from one new crisis to another on an almost weekly basis. 

The most shocking thing for me is the total lack of communication from anyone inside the club which almost matches Captain Bob's era after the decided that he no longer had any interest in his train set and it didn't exist anymore. 

I'm not depressed I'm at the point where it's like an enthusiasm for the club has been gradually squeezed out of me due to the ongoing events and the total lack of any appetite from the current owner to resolve the mess that primarily they have dropped us into. 

I think there is a perfect storm of stuff that is contributing to me losing virtually all interest in the Rams, a club I have supported since 1967.

In no particular order:

On the pitch: Playing low entertainment football, no real crowd pleaser, low goals rate. Cobbled together team of old men and kids without a clear policy.

Off the pitch: Total shambles of an organisation, apparently in conflict with people who can really hurt you, HMRC EFL. Owner who has gone silent. The car crash fallout really showed the club up in a terrible light in so many ways.

Match scheduling: Its great to have footy available almost every night on TV but as a live football fan I want 3:00 on a Saturday. Mid week and oddball times really irritate me, particularly sitting freezing on a mid week winter game . Result I'lll stay at home and watch good football in the warm (heresy I know, but it is what it is).

Price: Saving on two tickets, car park etc easily covers Sky, BT Sport, Amazon Prime subscriptions with left overs for a few decent bottles of Scotch. 

CoVid showed how quick you can find other stuff to do on match days.

Hard fans will say there reasons for each of the above issues, but it's a bit like the old Chinese Water torture (other nations are available), the cumulative effect gets to you. AND IT HAS. 

I think this forum is a barometer for how things are going with the club. 

Nothing much new each day and pretty depressing in terms of content. Not always the fault of posters I would add! 

I know the fortunes of DCFC are important to the mental health of many on here and for that reason alone, I would at least expect the club to post occasional articles acknowledging it's a difficult time for all concerned and saying that things like season tickets, ground restrictions and new signings will be resolved in time. 

Surely there's a PR guru somewhere within the massive staff who could put something together? 

I can't wait to get back to watching live but I understand there are many things to be resolved before that can happen. 

I also appreciate Mel and Stephen are human beings with families and whilst they may have made mistakes, they will be under intense pressure right now and having us moaning won't help. 

So, in terms of the title I do think it's a depressing time to be a Derby fan, but set against a global pandemic, which has never happened in my time as a fan, I can put this period into perspective. 

No, but it’s clear the club have some bridges to rebuild with the fans.

Despite not achieving promotion we have had some real good atmospheres around the club, whilst some may find it hard to believe, we’ve been lucky. 

Many clubs out there that have gone years without a sniff of any kind of cup or promotion to enjoy.

I don’t want to get into the blame game or the EFL’s role in the position we’re in, but it’s not a great situation.

Reading across social media, seeing so many fans feeling disconnected is not great, and as I say we need to see bridges rebuilt, ideally starting before the first game of the season. 

I’m not one to call for answers from the club, I would rather they spend every hour working on improving the situation as we have too many outstanding issues that need resolving.

Saying that, I do feel like the club need to host a fan forum asap, whilst some see these as nothing more than PR stunts, some good PR is needed to lift the spirits.

I fear the atmosphere for the opening game could be extremely toxic if we go into the start of the season under so many question marks.

As fans though, we need to play our part no matter how hard it is, we have to get behind the players we have and Rooney, dial back the criticisms and as cliche as it sounds, be that 12th man/woman.

If we can’t do that in our hour of need, then why are we even here? 

Toxic atmospheres, attacking the club will not help the situation at all, it just won’t, so the question is, how much do we love this club? Right now is the time to show it and come together and try to focus on the positives and help create some optimism going into what will be a difficult season without a doubt.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Question in the title. 

is this the most depressing time? Or can you recall being more depressed by Derby County. 

In my time it’s certainly up there 

I’m a little too young (?somehow) to not recall the winding up orders pre maxwell (just) and the 3 amigos was obviously right up there too but this is bad … what makes it worse it’s one of our own at the helm of it all ..

it’s just a very sad situation in so many ways 

Edited by NottsRam77

11 minutes ago, David said:

Reading across social media, seeing so many fans feeling disconnected is not great, and as I say we need to see bridges rebuilt, ideally starting before the first game of the season. 

I fear the atmosphere for the opening game could be extremely toxic if we go into the start of the season under so many question marks.

Toxic atmospheres, attacking the club will not help the situation at all, it just won’t, so the question is, how much do we love this club? Right now is the time to show it and come together and try to focus on the positives and help create some optimism going into what will be a difficult season without a doubt.

I don't particularly think the atmosphere at games will be toxic, I do think though that due to the continuing efforts by the club to totally disengage and disenfranchise fans then this will manifest itself in vastly reduced attendances, which Covid will also have an impact on. 

46 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The most shocking thing for me is the total lack of communication from anyone inside the club which almost matches Captain Bob's era after the decided that he no longer had any interest in his train set and it didn't exist anymore. 

They said they would improve the communication but it just hasn't happened. What are they actually doing on a day to day basis? What are they going to do to ensure the embargo is lifted? 

Is this the most depressing period? Yes. 

Being relegated to Div 3 was depressing.  The 3 amigos again was depressing, as was amassing a measly 11 points in the PL.   Admittedly the Div 3 relegation and 3 amigos was when I was much younger so my memory may be off.  But right now it just feels it's been one thing after another, bit by bit sucking the life out of me.  Just when I think things may turn a corner something else gets chucked at us.

What doesn't help is the bandwagon of vitriol from other fans, pundits, club owners or anyone else who feels they should get on board to get their name in lights (stand up Simon Jordan, Gibson et al) all readily accessible through FB, Twitter, Instagram, Pod Cast, Radio and many other mediums perhaps not around previously.  The constant flow of cr4p our way, being thrust in our faces whenever we turn on our phones or laptops, just adds fuel to the negativity around the club.  

The club too have been poor - their lack of open and honest communication to the fans has been shameful.  Whilst I appreciate commercially there's stuff they can't say, they really ought to have had more open comms with us.  The club is nothing without its fans. Everything I've seen so far has just been lip service in my opinion.