Is bullying illegal?

Gritstone Ram

6 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

The fact that not a lot can be proved or it will take so long shouldn’t be a reason not to do it. This is why it is so wrong because if anyone has been through it they are usually just relieved when it is over and just want things back to normal. 

It really depends on the circumstances, I just look at the process and would ask myself if the likely outcome is worth the lengthy battle.

Without knowing the details it’s hard to really say, for example is it contained to the workplace or has it gone outside of that where it’s effecting your family as well, at which point legal action would be worth the battle.

Bullying in the workplace is defined as gross misconduct by many organisations but as this falls under employment law then wouldn't be illegal but defined as a breach of contract. 

Bullying elsewhere could be classified harassment or intimidation and most definitely is illegal in this context. 

If you are victim to harassment, deliberate exclusion or continual pranks or name calling at your expense then the first stage would be to document each and every one of these instances and then submit this as evidence as a formal grievance to your employer - if the complaint is made as a formal grievance then the employer has a duty to investigate it and reply back to the complainant. 

If the situation is that serious then you could justifiably without prejudice stay away from work if you are in fear of your own personal safety until the matter is resolved. 

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

Bullying in the workplace is defined as gross misconduct by many organisations but as this falls under employment law then wouldn't be illegal but defined as a breach of contract. 

Bullying elsewhere could be classified harassment or intimidation and most definitely is illegal in this context. 

If you are victim to harassment, deliberate exclusion or continual pranks or name calling at your expense then the first stage would be to document each and every one of these instances and then submit this as evidence as a formal grievance to your employer - if the complaint is made as a formal grievance then the employer has a duty to investigate it and reply back to the complainant. 

If the situation is that serious then you could justifiably without prejudice stay away from work if you are in fear of your own personal safety until the matter is resolved. 

Surely you should report the instances at the first opportunity rather than let them build up. If it continues then make a diary of events. Some things can be sorted by an informal chat. 

Just now, Gritstone Ram said:

Surely you should report the instances at the first opportunity rather than let them build up. If it continues then make a diary of events. Some things can be sorted by an informal chat. 

Yes agreed, I've assumed that the situation hasn't been able to be resolved informally from your comments in this thread.

But you're right, some people unfortunately don't have any self awareness and in my experience before things get out of hand a quiet chat with the person concerned to let them know that what they're saying or doing is unacceptable to yourself often, but not always, works. 

10 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Great post. You and I spar on the “field of play” elsewhere but that mate is a top post ??

18 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

If you ask me I am more aware of what is bullying I think a lot of things are based upon opinions. The best thing to do is stand up for yourself but don’t create conflict.

I let new people from work know that I have learning differcults and autism I say to them if I say something to upset you dont take personal also I not very good at face expressions or reading emotions.