Choose your 5

Kernow

I've not read the rules thoroughly, but is it a professional start or appearance? Because with this I guess Ebosele and maybe Stretton, Brown and McDonald haven't started a game. Seems awfully unfair to class a player within a 'professional' standing when their minutes might not even add up to 90!

25 minutes ago, Sidd10 said:

I've not read the rules thoroughly, but is it a professional start or appearance? Because with this I guess Ebosele and maybe Stretton, Brown and McDonald haven't started a game. Seems awfully unfair to class a player within a 'professional' standing when their minutes might not even add up to 90!

I believe it's just an appearance, that counts.

It's also unclear whether Darren Robinson's appearance in the Northern Ireland Premiership counts, which would reduce it to 3 players.

12 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I believe it's just an appearance, that counts.

It's also unclear whether Darren Robinson's appearance in the Northern Ireland Premiership counts, which would reduce it to 3 players.

Such a weird ruling, i'm not sure what would make it fair. I assume it's a rule they never really expected to enforce so said that'll do. 

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

How is it a blind panic? They've all been training with the squad. More than most transfers ever do before they've signed.

It’s blind panic because these are obviously not signings we have had lined up for months on end.

Do you think we would have approached Morrison and co. in ordinary circumstances?

For me, it seems we are just reacting to how the dominoes have fallen and there’s an air of desperation about it.

Also a player can look good in training but perform differently in matches, so it’s not necessarily a strong indication of what we can expect. Especially when you think of players who might just turn it on to get a contract and then revert to type.

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It’s blind panic because these are obviously not signings we have had lined up for months on end.

Do you think we would have approached Morrison and co. in ordinary circumstances?

For me, it seems we are just reacting to how the dominoes have fallen and there’s an air of desperation about it.

Also a player can look good in training but perform differently in matches, so it’s not necessarily a strong indication of what we can expect. Especially when you think of players who might just turn it on to get a contract and then revert to type.

I agree. If we are only allowed to make 4 signings, we have to choose wisely. This could be the difference in whether we stay up or go down. 

Just now, Jourdan said:

With some of them I'd agree but there is some of them that even in other circumstances we may have taken a good look at, namely; Jagielka, Morrison and Aluko. With Morrison for example there is always going to be the appeal of trying to be the club it sticks for him and it arguably would have been a smaller gamble a couple years ago.

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

How do you know?

Yes.

5 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

You're looking for certainty. There's none at any level or price! At least these have trained with us an played at this level.

Jaglieka is too old.

Aluko is a reading cast of for good reason.

Morrison is BIG risk, so many clubs where he's failed.

These are players we would not approach under ordinary circumstances or else you are saying if the club had money it would be looking at players that no other championship clubs are looking at.

3 hours ago, Sidd10 said:

Think you hit the nail on the head by saying the first game is 2.5 weeks away. Actually... i've heard Messi is on that free transfer list, maybe you are on to something.

We are 2.5 weeks away, yes. But this is still something we should take our time over.

We have got recruitment very wrong in the past. How is that going to change if we hand out contracts with little to no vision beyond ‘get some bodies in’?

I get it - the fans want signings, the coaching staff want signings. But surely with the restrictions in place, it shows a need to operate more carefully and make informed choices.

Personally I don’t think it makes sense to rush deals over the line. There’s no point in getting bodies in for the sake of it when we are likely to regret it 3-4 weeks down the line.

Edited by Jourdan

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How do you know?

Yes.

Well If it’s a yes based on his historic record that’s an awful decision.I assume we are only going for him as he’s a free agent and we’re shopping in that store at present. 

34 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Well If it’s a yes based on his historic record that’s an awful decision.I assume we are only going for him as he’s a free agent and we’re shopping in that store at present. 

Are you talking about Morrison? If so read the Athletic article on him, I definitely think he's worth the gamble.

51 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

We are 2.5 weeks away, yes. But this is still something we should take our time over.

We have got recruitment very wrong in the past. How is that going to change if we hand out contracts with little to no vision beyond ‘get some bodies in’?

I get it - the fans want signings, the coaching staff want signings. But surely with the restrictions in place, it shows a need to operate more carefully and make informed choices.

Personally I don’t think it makes sense to rush deals over the line. There’s no point in getting bodies in for the sake of it when we are likely to regret it 3-4 weeks down the line.

We have 1 centre half lol

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think what Jourdan is saying is that it's better to have one centre half for two games than two panic buy mediocre ones for 46 games. 

Where are the others coming from though? I get what he's saying, i don't get why he's saying it. 

There isn't exactly a queue of free agent centre halves in their prime happy to accept around 11k a week for just one year. 

Happy to be proven wrong though. ? 

Just now, Sidd10 said:

Where are the others coming from though? I get what he's saying, i don't get why he's saying it. 

There isn't exactly a queue of free agent centre halves in their prime happy to accept around 11k a week for just one year. 

Happy to be proven wrong though. ? 

Yeah but the embargo could be lifted so we would have a bigger pool to pick from. 

The EFL has already yielded a bit on free agents and loans. 

17 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Looks like Jagielka, Aluko, Morrison and Wisdom are all in the background of the couple of training pics. Add Davies to that and I think it will be the 5...if indeed we're allowed 5.

Tom Carroll now also training with us from the latest pics. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Are you talking about Morrison? If so read the Athletic article on him, I definitely think he's worth the gamble.

Yes, I was. To be honest I’m im not a fan of the Athletic, but anyway if I was to read it I’m not sure how they can spin playing 98 games for 11/12clubs in 11 years scoring 15 goals into anything worth reading. 
However that’s the barrel we are currently scraping due to our position so if he does sign he’ll get my support.