Everton Player suspended due to police investigation

Gaspode

Possibly dodgy even posting this as it will no doubt trigger some of the more vociferous memebers but it's a big story and I don't think the forum should ignore it....and obviosuly folk need to be very careful what they post (i.e. don't speculate on who or what you may think they've possibly done)....

Everton have reported that they've suspended a First-Team player pending a police investigation - there were also reports earlier this morning that a 31 year old PL player has been arrested in connection to child sex offences......

32 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I won’t name the player, I heard about this a few days ago and the crime involved texting an underage girl. So whilst classed as alleged sex offence, thankfully it never got to Adam Johnson levels. 

Yeah I saw something on Instagram about the player in question, very worrying...

"I'm getting the word..."

image.png.15ae762e421facc6daf9023138d937dd.png

9 hours ago, roboto said:

Absolutely disgusting crime. I would speculate that the fact that such a high profile player has been arrested would seem sure that they are pretty sure they can prove he is guilty.

I agree the crime is disgusting but what percentage of cases that the CPS put forward to prosecute an individual are then subsequently successful?

I know it's not 100% so just because the CPS think that it's in the public interest this isn't (a) an indicator that the person involved is guilty and (b) means that the prosecution will then automatically be successful. 

I saw this story yesterday and if guilty he should be treated very harshly *but* it could just be trial by twitter atm, innocent until proven guilty 'n all that. 

I've not gone seaching for the specifics but Leigh Griffiths was arrested for a similar thing a few days ago but was found to have committed no offences; https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57683426

41 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I saw this story yesterday and if guilty he should be treated very harshly *but* it could just be trial by twitter atm, innocent until proven guilty 'n all that. 

I've not gone seaching for the specifics but Leigh Griffiths was arrested for a similar thing a few days ago but was found to have committed no offences; https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57683426

Yeah I was going to mention Lee Griffith's being investigated. Not found to have committed an offence. Obviously, that doesn't necessarily mean "behaved in an acceptable way".

Now that I have seen this thread, it explains a WhatsApp post put onto our closed group by an old friend. 

Very surprised, but agree that the investigation must conclude before any conclusions can be jumped to. 

I don't like the phrase "the public interest" either if that's being used. Too vague and nebulous, and I'm often suspicious that it is not objective. 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Now that I have seen this thread, it explains a WhatsApp post put onto our closed group by an old friend. 

Very surprised, but agree that the investigation must conclude before any conclusions can be jumped to. 

I don't like the phrase "the public interest" either if that's being used. Too vague and nebulous, and I'm often suspicious that it is not objective. 

The Public Interest does not mean "what the public are interested in" (despite modern news reporting seeming to reflect the later)

7 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

Innocent until proven guilty let's remember this. Many people have been accused of certain crimes, absolutely destroyed by the public, then it's been thrown out of court.

This.  What I hate about this kind of thing is that "everyone" assumes he's guilty before the case has even been heard- dirt sells.  Innocent until proven guilty.  The sad thing is if he is proven innocent, chances are his career will nose dive anyway.  Reminds me of the Ched Evans case, albeit not exactly the same.  He spent over 2 years in jail until found to be innocent on appeal following which hardly anyone wanted to know him.  To this day his accuser cannot legally be named albeit she has been called out on social media.

As with the Derby furore, the media love a dirty story that everyone can get on the bandwagon with when it's "in the public interest" (an expression I hate). I really, really hope this ends up like many such stories, with him being found innocent, despite everyone's pre-conceptions and what's reported in the press, but if not, then he deserves whatever he gets.