Olympics 2020

CBRammette

So nothing much happening on Derby front. Are people looking forward to the Olympics? Dont care? Or just certain sports? Are any of Olympic team from Derby or with east Mids connections other than Adam Peaty that we can follow? Seems odd this year as little build up really, it is difficult to feel excited. sSorry if already a thread - couldnt see one

45 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

So nothing much happening on Derby front. Are people looking forward to the Olympics? Dont care? Or just certain sports? Are any of Olympic team from Derby or with east Mids connections other than Adam Peaty that we can follow? Seems odd this year as little build up really, it is difficult to feel excited. sSorry if already a thread - couldnt see one

It's got a weird "we had to do it because commercial contracts but no one really wants to" vibe to the whole thing.

I'll probably watch it loads when it's on before forgetting it immediatly after.

58 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Don't care I'm afraid. 

I kinda got into the London Olympics and I'll have half an eye on the Tennis to see if Djokovic can keep his Golden Slam going but other than that its kinda 'meh'.

110 positive cases now which is athletes and games staff/officials.

Feels like they are forcing this through. If the numbers continue to rise, there has to be a real risk that they won’t be able to see the Olympics through to the end.

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

My overall impression of every olympics is that the athlete's village is one massive knocking shop.

It doesn't seem that organisers have changed the accommodation arrangements to reflect the need to keep people apart.

They did get cardboard beds though 

On 19/07/2021 at 18:56, CBRammette said:

If they had taken place last year we would have had a Rams fan taking part Sandy Ryan as she qualified but she's now turned professional I think

I will watch all the athletics once it starts. Until then might just tune into Adam Peaty.

Feel for the athletes who have been performing in front of admittedly reduced capacity crowds at Diamond League meets to find empty stadiums in Tokyo.

Feel for the athletes who have trained for five years then caught covid at the last moment and haven't been allowed to travel.

I understand why Tokyo doesn't want any more foreigners in the city than they absolutely have to, but surely they could have some local socially distanced spectators to give the competitors more of a feeling of normality and create a bit of atmosphere?

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

I will watch all the athletics once it starts. Until then might just tune into Adam Peaty.

Feel for the athletes who have been performing in front of admittedly reduced capacity crowds at Diamond League meets to find empty stadiums in Tokyo.

Feel for the athletes who have trained for five years then caught covid at the last moment and haven't been allowed to travel.

I understand why Tokyo doesn't want any more foreigners in the city than they absolutely have to, but surely they could have some local socially distanced spectators to give the competitors more of a feeling of normality and create a bit of atmosphere?

I honestly don't know why a bloke from near Stoke who supports Forest gets so much local airtime.  He was on Radio Derby this morning.

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I honestly don't know why a bloke from near Stoke who supports Forest gets so much local airtime.  He was on Radio Derby this morning.

Maybe because Radio Derby covers Derbyshire and East Staffordshire. 

Uttoxeter is definitely East Staffs.

I'll probably watch the track and field but not that interested in much else. Doesn't feel like an Olympics.

On 19/07/2021 at 18:56, CBRammette said:

Technically not East Mids but might as well be - Frazer Clarke, boxer from Burton.