Krystian Bielik

RoyMac5

12 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I remember Forsyth being dreadful in the Rowett season. Not sure if that was the result of his injuries, a lack of confidence, or both.

Thankfully he's recovered since then, though I'd still say he's not the player he was before the ACLs.

I'd largely agree, although I think some of it is down to the fact that he really clicked in 13/14 and that's probably slightly elevated our view of him a bit.

My point is, while we can think of ACLs ruining careers, it doesn't have to be the case. Even if he only ever recovers to 90%, a 90% Beilik is still a force of nature.

We have a million things to be pessimistic about without throwing this one into the pile.

Edited by Duracell

23 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Waste of money tbh, quality player and not his fault but wjen you don't have much money and spend a significant amount on one player this is what happens with a bit of bad luck. Should have spread the money out more. 

I know what you're getting at, but the problem with that approach is you just end up with a load of average players. We could have spent the £10m Bielik money on 3 players and basically end up with the equivalent of Nick Blackman, Scott Malone and Ikechi Anya for £3-4m each.  None of those players are even better than the players we already had, and we could probably have picked up at least as good players for free.

Obviously Bielik has suffered badly with injuries, but when you look at him play, he clearly fits the way we want to play, he addresses a big need we had, he's young enough with potential that he *should* have had big potential resale value and so on.  He's basically everything that the majority of our other signings clearly aren't.  I'd much rather have a proper plan in mind and spend what money we do have on someone that fits and then plug the rest with frees/loans/youngsters, than sign a load of random bang-average players that just leave you with a bang-average, over-paid team.

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Do you know anything about ACL tears?

I suspect not, because if you did you'd know that the chance of re-tearing a surgically reconstructed ACL is single digits low.

The fact that he's done both is almost certainly down to bad luck and when it is repaired he'll be good to go.

There's a NLF player, Thomas Davis, who did his 3 times and came back to play his best football and have a long career.

Of course Bielik, could do it again as per Davis, but he probably won't.

And he'll probably have a lot of knew pain when he gets older.

Ass for George Thorne, well come on everybody, he had a whole host on injuries prior to his ACLs

A study in Serie A found the incidence rate of ACL re-ruptures was 25% of all ACL injuries.

One of the problems is although advanced, medical science hasn’t developed a way to replace the nerves in the knee that are lost when the ligament is stripped out. Obviously the muscle building and balance programs help, but you are at an elevated risk if you have previously had the same injury.

It’s perfectly possibly to carry on playing as long as you can take the rehab, Fozzy and Pires are examples of players who’ve had 3 ACL injuries. But it does take something away from you each time it happens.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31800358/

50 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I know what you're getting at, but the problem with that approach is you just end up with a load of average players. We could have spent the £10m Bielik money on 3 players and basically end up with the equivalent of Nick Blackman, Scott Malone and Ikechi Anya for £3-4m each.  None of those players are even better than the players we already had, and we could probably have picked up at least as good players for free.

Obviously Bielik has suffered badly with injuries, but when you look at him play, he clearly fits the way we want to play, he addresses a big need we had, he's young enough with potential that he *should* have had big potential resale value and so on.  He's basically everything that the majority of our other signings clearly aren't.  I'd much rather have a proper plan in mind and spend what money we do have on someone that fits and then plug the rest with frees/loans/youngsters, than sign a load of random bang-average players that just leave you with a bang-average, over-paid team.

The signings of Bielik and Jozwiak are exactly the right sort we should be looking at in the future. They are exactly the right profile, young, good potential, right attitude to improve, high resale value, internationals. This is what we should have been doing 6 years ago.

51 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

A study in Serie A found the incidence rate of ACL re-ruptures was 25% of all ACL injuries.

One of the problems is although advanced, medical science hasn’t developed a way to replace the nerves in the knee that are lost when the ligament is stripped out. Obviously the muscle building and balance programs help, but you are at an elevated risk if you have previously had the same injury.

It’s perfectly possibly to carry on playing as long as you can take the rehab, Fozzy and Pires are examples of players who’ve had 3 ACL injuries. But it does take something away from you each time it happens.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31800358/

Adrian Peterson did his and came back and ran for the second most yards in NFL history 9-months later. Tom Brady did his and has won about a gazillion Super Bowls.

The re-injury rate the NFL work on is between 6 and 9% - I am going from memory and to lazy to do my research, but I'm very confident.

Players probably cut more than a bunch of NFL positions, so that may have something to do with it. Not sure.

There's a bunch of football players like Roy Keane and Alan Shearer who came back as strong.

So it *can* take away from a player, but it's not always the case.

In all honesty, I see no point in speculating with Bielik, we simply have no way of knowing.

33 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Adrian Peterson did his and came back and ran for the second most yards in NFL history 9-months later. Tom Brady did his and has won about a gazillion Super Bowls.

The re-injury rate the NFL work on is between 6 and 9% - I am going from memory and to lazy to do my research, but I'm very confident.

Players probably cut more than a bunch of NFL positions, so that may have something to do with it. Not sure.

There's a bunch of football players like Roy Keane and Alan Shearer who came back as strong.

So it *can* take away from a player, but it's not always the case.

In all honesty, I see no point in speculating with Bielik, we simply have no way of knowing.

Different sports though.

NFL injury stats are largely irrelevant to footballs and vice versa.

Serie A is the best comparison you’ll find, but even then it’s not perfect as conditions in our division are different. A championship study would be interesting.

At the end of the day Beilik may well not have another injury, however his risk is elevated.

Fingers crossed he stays in good health!

Edited by Ramarena

23 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

You can buy good players for a few million you just need a decent recruitment team and scouting set up. 

22 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

The signings of Bielik and Jozwiak are exactly the right sort we should be looking at in the future. They are exactly the right profile, young, good potential, right attitude to improve, high resale value, internationals. This is what we should have been doing 6 years ago.

Jóźwiak could be a different player this season with fans behind him and a year of getting to know the league (assuming he isn't sold...) 

49 minutes ago, r_wilcockson said:

Jóźwiak could be a different player this season with fans behind him and a year of getting to know the league (assuming he isn't sold...) 

I think that having Bielik back will make a huge difference also, he'll soon be back in training in and around the first team squad and hopefully playing by xmas if he matches his last recovery pattern. On that note, he seems to be implying that he is able to progress better this time, without the full lockdown restrictions from last year.