This seasons surprise package

Big Trav

Im hoping the four more established young players (Bird Buchanan Knight and Sibley) will make that step forward this season and become top championship players. This is my no means a given, if it happens and It’s a big if it might just be a very different and much more positive season than everyone is expecting right now. Im confident those four players will make that leap at some point in the next couple of years, it’s just timing. 

As for who is going to breakthrough. I think McDonald Ebosele Watson and Stretton (if he can stay clear of injury) are the main candidates. I’m going to say McDonald, really like the look of him he could challenge Byrne this season.

13 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

That DET interview said Stretton was injured atm. Him and Sibley seem to be mates, Sibley posted a 'silly story' in his Insta of them 'hazing' (lol, so mildly) young Liam Thompson. ?

Just asking for a friend because I'm obviously down with the kids but, what is hazing?

3 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Just asking for a friend because I'm obviously down with the kids but, what is hazing?

Lol. I understand its what kids do (initiations) when joining a fraternity (well from when I've watched the movies), Sibley was saying about Liam 'joining' the first team and 'welcoming' him. ?

Edited by RoyMac5

Season 21/22 is the season of Festy.

He will be the versatile player on the bench at first. Being able to fill in at full back, DM, on the wing and strangely at CF according to how Rooney used him last season. However, his performances will earn him a starting spot and we'll all be getting Ebosele printed on our shirts for the promotion parade.

56 minutes ago, roboto said:

Season 21/22 is the season of Festy.

He will be the versatile player on the bench at first. Being able to fill in at full back, DM, on the wing and strangely at CF according to how Rooney used him last season. However, his performances will earn him a starting spot and we'll all be getting Ebosele printed on our shirts for the promotion parade.

I really hope so. I love the idea of him, as I'm obsessed with our lack of pace and power. He seems a unit but i haven't seen him play. You may be onto something with his versatility which may allow him to accumulate experience and grow into first team footie.

I'm really hoping Sibley can get his mojo back as a number 10. It might be that his breakout season under Cocu can't be repeated as he's struggling to make that step up once teams are wise to him. This isn't unusual with younger players but hopefully he can prove his worth at this level. The fact he couldn't get a starting slot against Man Utd though doesn't exactly speak volumes for his chances this season. 

As for others, Bird and Knight both had poor seasons when they did appear last season so hopefully they can make good on their promise under Cocu. Again, it could be that second season syndrome kicked in for these players- the fact that a totally average Graham Shinnie wasn't just our best midfield player but player of the season highlights the poor seasons they had. 

29 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I'm really hoping Sibley can get his mojo back as a number 10. It might be that his breakout season under Cocu can't be repeated as he's struggling to make that step up once teams are wise to him. This isn't unusual with younger players but hopefully he can prove his worth at this level. The fact he couldn't get a starting slot against Man Utd though doesn't exactly speak volumes for his chances this season. 

As for others, Bird and Knight both had poor seasons when they did appear last season so hopefully they can make good on their promise under Cocu. Again, it could be that second season syndrome kicked in for these players- the fact that a totally average Graham Shinnie wasn't just our best midfield player but player of the season highlights the poor seasons they had. 

In hoping for new signings every time I come onto the site I am pushing one of our young prospects out of a place. 

Maybe the way to get a playing identity is to pick a team of players who have played together for a few years. 

Maybe it's time to let Watson, Sibley and Stretton have a go. 

Shinnie and CKR will look after them and feed off their energy. 

Certainly an alternative to playing experienced players no one else wants 

4 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

In hoping for new signings every time I come onto the site I am pushing one of our young prospects out of a place. 

Maybe the way to get a playing identity is to pick a team of players who have played together for a few years. 

Maybe it's time to let Watson, Sibley and Stretton have a go. 

Shinnie and CKR will look after them and feed off their energy. 

Certainly an alternative to playing experienced players no one else wants 

It's whether these young players are good enough to make it at this level. Very few players have the ability to do it consistently and well especially at age of 20/21.  In maybe the last 2 decades we've had Huddlestone, Hughes, Hendrik and Bogle that I can think of from my immediate memory that were good second division players and they came through even earlier than that. 

There is no evidence that Watson or Stretton are good enough to make it at this level atm and we can't be relying on those players to save us. Having a batch of youngsters was a miserable failure last season and it's hard to see how it'll be different this year. I think a sprinkling of academy talent is a good idea, relying upon it to the degree you're suggesting I think could doom us.