Nathan Byrne

BodminRam

9 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Not sure why we'd unload a player we bought for buttons to pay wages. He'd need to be replaced after all. Also not convinced that weakening the team would make enable Mel to sell the club any quicker either.

Also seems a counter-intuitive assumption that we're so short of cash that we'd let him go on the cheap to help with our current wage bill when we have Morrison, Jagielka, Aluko and co lined up to join the club, EFL allowing. 

Yes I thought that too, the only thing stopping us increasing our wage bill is the EFL - we'd have signed quite a few players by now otherwise.

19 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Not sure why we'd unload a player we bought for buttons to pay wages. He'd need to be replaced after all. Also not convinced that weakening the team would make enable Mel to sell the club any quicker either.

Also seems a counter-intuitive assumption that we're so short of cash that we'd let him go on the cheap to help with our current wage bill when we have Morrison, Jagielka, Aluko and co lined up to join the club, EFL allowing. 

He just gets replaced with a youth player - we wouldn't buy anyone.

And it isn't counterintuitive at all. The likes of Morrison and Jagielka will be on a pittance from a wages perspective. Selling a player for a million or more covers everybody's wages for at least a month even with a couple thousand added to the monthly bill with a couple of new players.

Until we start getting fans back in the ground the club is going to be short of money and Mel will have to make up the shortfall, which he clearly doesn't want to do that anymore. Until said time I'd expect us to sell any player who we receive a significant offer for.

Celtic never seem to pay that much in fees but no doubt they can offer wages that will turn his head. I'd be surprised if they offered more than a million for him though. Byrne was arguably our player of the season last year and one of very few senior players left. If we let him go for anything other than a decent fee (that we are then allowed to reinvest free of the EFL restrictions) then we've already given up. Our playing squad is beyond threadbare and I find myself looking around for what the record lowest points total is for the Championship.

17 hours ago, GenBr said:

And it isn't counterintuitive at all. The likes of Morrison and Jagielka will be on a pittance from a wages perspective. Selling a player for a million or more covers everybody's wages for at least a month even with a couple thousand added to the monthly bill with a couple of new players.

Until we start getting fans back in the ground the club is going to be short of money and Mel will have to make up the shortfall, which he clearly doesn't want to do that anymore. Until said time I'd expect us to sell any player who we receive a significant offer for.

All in your opinion, but nothing proven as fact. That's the point. And talented as Kornell may be, I'm not sure he's ready for a full Championship season, nor who is a viable replacement should he be out of form or injured.

Let's have it right matey. You don't know any more than I or anyone else does at this point ?

3 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

All in your opinion, but nothing proven as fact. That's the point. And talented as Kornell may be, I'm not sure he's ready for a full Championship season, nor who is a viable replacement should he be out of form or injured.

Let's have it right matey. You don't know any more than I or anyone else does at this point ?

I was merely responding to the posts on here saying that it was counter intuitive to sell a player just to fund the wages when that is ckearly not the case.

And its not all just opinion eithet - jagielka, etc will be on low wages and we've been trying to cut the wage bill to the bone. My opinion is based on the way we have been operating for the last year or so. Unless we get taken over i'd be surprised if we completely changed direction for no reason.

Edit: somehow in wrong thread if mods can move

Edited by GenBr

7 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I can't blame them for something that the EFL gave them the green light to do and then retrospectively changed their minds.

That is like me fining you for driving 30 miles per hour in a 30 mile per hour zone but now Ive changed the limit to 20 miles per hour.

Yes but they only did it because they ballsed up on ffp. Entirely their fault. In your analogy they'd already crashed the car and smashed it to pieces, but they've luckily found a way of keeping the car running on fumes for a little while longer. Lucky they had a way of getting themselves out the poo by selling the stadium.

With the amortisation i'm more inclined to agree with you, but we're still doing it differently to every other club in the league and asking for trouble.

7 hours ago, Curtains said:

The amortisation charge is a load of baalocks .

Our accounts were signed off 3 years running and what did we get 100K fine retrospectively for not being clear enough. 
As for the stadium sale we were cleared. 
EFL are just vindictive against us because MM batted against the TV deal in the media. 

No they're not. Every single referee isn't out to get poor little Derby either. Stop being so paranoid. Stadium was only sold to stop us breaching ffp - ie its our fault we wete in this mess in the first place. 

Again i'm more inclined to agree on the amortisation, but again its another way we've tried to be clever and its backfired massively. 

7 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Yes but they only did it because they ballsed up on ffp. Entirely their fault. In your analogy they'd already crashed the car and smashed it to pieces, but they've luckily found a way of keeping the car running on fumes for a little while longer. Lucky they had a way of getting themselves out the poo by selling the stadium.

With the amortisation i'm more inclined to agree with you, but we're still doing it differently to every other club in the league and asking for trouble.

No they're not. Every single referee isn't out to get poor little Derby either. Stop being so paranoid. Stadium was only sold to stop us breaching ffp - ie its our fault we wete in this mess in the first place. 

Again i'm more inclined to agree on the amortisation, but again its another way we've tried to be clever and its backfired massively. 

FFP is  not fit for purpose.

Derby always religiously tried to work with FFP over many years when other clubs like QPR and Bournemouth etc etc flouted it .

PS Why is this in Nathan Byrne thread 

Edited by Curtains

37 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Is your first sentence referring to the sale of the ground? If so, sale and leaseback is a common business practice to raise funds.

Re the amortisation, how did they balls up? The accounts we submitted show us to be compliant. Had we not been compliant we could have sold players to make us compliant.

33 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Derby always religiously tried to work with FFP over many years when other clubs like QPR and Bournemouth etc etc flouted it .

Have we done that since Mel arrived? Maybe now we're up poo creek. Religiously pushed the boundaries until they burst and we're now blaming everyone but ourselves. 

22 hours ago, Curtains said:

I want Nathan to stay, it’s hanging in the balance like the rest of the championship. It’s the bus from the Italian job .. and we are hanging out of the back. 

The only way to work with FFP is by the book .. which then means fans say “these owners have no ambition” 

So along comes a rich man with money to spend, that he isn’t allowed to spend, so they have to find ways round it.

We spent loads of money, rather badly it seems 

We are now under scrutiny, for having the nerve to find ways round it 

One cunning plan (the stadium) succeeded 

The issue beyond the EFL’s vendetta is that the rich mans tree has been plucked, the stadium re buy was the last of the money 

Just now, jono said:

I want Nathan to stay, it’s hanging in the balance like the rest of the championship. It’s the bus from the Italian job .. and we are hanging out of the back. 

The only way to work with FFP is by the book .. which then means fans say “these owners have no ambition” 

So along comes a rich man with money to spend, that he isn’t allowed to spend, so they have to find ways round it.

The issue beyond the EFL’s vendetta is that the rich mans tree has been plucked, the stadium re buy was the last of the money 

the stadium thing was an afterthought to bail us out after spending the money rather badly as you put it

16 minutes ago, Spanish said:

the stadium thing was an afterthought to bail us out after spending the money rather badly as you put it

It was the afterthought once they realised we had purchased fairly average players who no one wanted to buy of us due to ridiculous wages and a lack of major talent which left us with huge problems mainly created when Clement was in charge 

27 minutes ago, jono said:

Hopefully Wazza will say, “Listen fellas, I’ve got a great idea “

On 19/07/2021 at 14:51, GenBr said:

Phil jagielka will most certainly not be on a pittance salary.