Pride Park Goes Cashless

DarkFruitsRam7

6 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

All they need to do now is replace the spotty kid serving your burger and fries with a robot and jobs a good un. HAVE A NICE DAY.

I think also learning disability and disabled are going to be left out as a lot of them carry cash only. I wish I could talk to CEO Pearson I would make this a cash stadium again. A lot concourse staff found out a lot of people did not to card only ones and business dropped off.

On 15/07/2021 at 15:01, Ken Tram said:

Not enough people have laughed about 2021/22 being cashless - maybe some people missed the joke! 

cashless = contactless payments

cashless = DCFC has no money

Now I get it. Thanks for explaining that Ken Tram. No way would I have got that without the detailed explanation. What a guy. How do I pay to get in. Do I just turn up and use s card at the turnstile.

18 hours ago, Rampage said:

Now I get it. Thanks for explaining that Ken Tram. No way would I have got that without the detailed explanation. What a guy. How do I pay to get in. Do I just turn up and use s card at the turnstile.

You're welcome! I think that you can use your phone too, to get your Bovril. And don't forget to turn up in style at the turnstile. And don't try climbing over the bars. They're not that type of stile. 

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

No permanent address is probably an issue but HSBC (and I suspect the other major banks) do a basic account for those with poor credit histories.

To be fair to HSBC, in recent years, they seem to be the most socially aware of many of the banks - in considering individual circumstances of people struggling to get a bank account. 

PS. As an aside - HSBC took over the Midland Bank - and I remember getting my first "child" account at the Midland Bank on St Peter's St - too many years ago.

Just now, Ken Tram said:

To be fair to HSBC, in recent years, they seem to be the most socially aware of many of the banks - in considering individual circumstances of people struggling to get a bank account. 

PS. As an aside - HSBC took over the Midland Bank - and I remember getting my first "child" account at the Midland Bank on St Peter's St - too many years ago.

HSBC also do an account for people without a permanent address.

On 17/07/2021 at 18:21, Monty said:

Pluses and minuses for both I guess 

with scores or even potentially hundreds of small transactions on a card or phone each month must be difficult to know they’re all ok

I always have cash as well as cards

some traders want cash

technology dependent 

interesting to see the individual transactions time savings claimed E v cash

if you want serving at the bar do you wave your phone rather than a tenner ? 

some traders want cash - why do they want cash though if not to dodge the cash. What other reason is there? Yes you can sometimes get a better deal this way, but ultimately it’s for to be better for everyone to make sure loopholes like cash in hand get closed, and everyone is working legit with legit rights and benefits.

technology dependent - it really isn’t that difficult at all to set up a merchant account. There’s tons of places that do it now. I set one up with pay pal here that was an absolute piece of piss to do, cost nothing, and required no extra kit bar my phone (I had to type in numbers, but it was only for over the phone payments anyway in that case) 

if you want serving at the bar do you wave your phone rather than a tenner - I’m absolutely positive that every busy bar in the country now is very familiar with Apple Pay, contactless etc. Waving a tenner is a thing of the past, and given that there’s considerably less faffing about, I would have thought bar staff would be more likely to go to the guy waving a card than the guy waving cash. You just know it’s going to be an easier transaction all round. 

38 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

some traders want cash - why do they want cash though if not to dodge the cash. What other reason is there? Yes you can sometimes get a better deal this way, but ultimately it’s for to be better for everyone to make sure loopholes like cash in hand get closed, and everyone is working legit with legit rights and benefits.

technology dependent - it really isn’t that difficult at all to set up a merchant account. There’s tons of places that do it now. I set one up with pay pal here that was an absolute piece of piss to do, cost nothing, and required no extra kit bar my phone (I had to type in numbers, but it was only for over the phone payments anyway in that case) 

if you want serving at the bar do you wave your phone rather than a tenner - I’m absolutely positive that every busy bar in the country now is very familiar with Apple Pay, contactless etc. Waving a tenner is a thing of the past, and given that there’s considerably less faffing about, I would have thought bar staff would be more likely to go to the guy waving a card than the guy waving cash. You just know it’s going to be an easier transaction all round. 

I was at Trent Bridge on Friday for the England Pakistan 20 20 match. The queues for the bars were horrendous and that was with people paying with a tap of their card onto a card reader on the top of the bar.

If punters had been fiddling around with cash or waiting for their change then there would have a been a riot. 

On 18/07/2021 at 20:31, TigerTedd said:

The gardener and the window cleaner as two examples 

On 18/07/2021 at 15:31, TigerTedd said:

Taking cash payments is brilliant......for avoiding tax, that is the only reason I can think of.

Feel for (not so) old folk like my grandparents. Early 70's but don't have a mobile phone let alone one that can handle mobile payments.

My grandmother does use a card to pay for things, but she doesn't go to every game. My grandad goes to the bank every week and draws put the money he needs for the week (via passbook) and pays cash for everything.

He's never going to learn how to use a card at his age, so this just deprives the club of some income and him of some chips at half time. Probably peanuts in the grand scheme of things but one example of something that makes things more alienating for our older fans.

Shame.

On a broader point, a cashless society is not a great idea. What's the stat? Something like for every pound spent as cash it goes around the local area 4 times, just once for card transactions. That might not be entirely accurate but CBA to look it up.

Also, some people struggle with abstract concepts and once money solely becomes such, it means they'll spend even more that they don't have.

Great if you're a banker though.

Edited by JoetheRam

1 minute ago, JoetheRam said:

Feel for (not so) old folk like my grandparents. Early 70's but don't have a mobile phone let alone one that can handle mobile payments.

My grandmother does use a card to pay for things, but she doesn't go to every game. My grandad goes to the bank every week and draws put the money he needs for the week (via passbook) and pays cash for everything.

He's never going to learn how to use a card at his age, so this just deprives the club of some income and him of some chips at half time. Probably peanuts in the grand scheme of things but one example of something that makes things more alienating for our older fans.

Shame.

I remember when I bought my dad a mobile phone for the first time and he asked me how I would know whether he was in or not when I rang him. Concept totally over him head, bless him.

He wouldn't understand the concept of Ubers either, was used to ringing for a taxi and paying the driver in cash.