Pride Park Goes Cashless

DarkFruitsRam7

12 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Every single shop has cash and card so why is a football stadium any different it is not.

Have you seen the queues at half-time?

People faffing about with change, bar staff getting change together, person checking the change they've been given and putting it back into their pockets. All gone.

Got no issues with the security aspect of using my card so anything to speed up those queues is a win in my book.

40 minutes ago, Betty Swollocks said:

Mine too. He flatly refuses to buy anything online as he thinks he will get scammed and when he goes in shops/pubs etc he wants to pay in cash

Well based on the amount of older people that tend to be targeted for telephone, text, email etc scams he is absolutely correct to hold that view - wherever the money is thieves will attempt to get at it and with a staggeringly high success rate.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Well based on the amount of older people that tend to be targeted for telephone, text, email etc scams he is absolutely correct to hold that view - wherever the money is thieves will attempt to get at it and with a staggeringly high success rate.

I’m not sure. Given the number of online transactions that take place I would say the success rate is very low it’s just any incidents get a great deal of coverage.

I think the thieves adopt a scatter gun approach and target a very large number of people knowing that they only need a very number of “successful hits” to make it worth their while. 

Edited by Tamworthram

2 hours ago, Scott129 said:

Have you seen the queues at half-time?

People faffing about with change, bar staff getting change together, person checking the change they've been given and putting it back into their pockets. All gone.

Got no issues with the security aspect of using my card so anything to speed up those queues is a win in my book.

I found if get your food before the game starts you get served in 5mins and also found card ques take ages were cash through in no time flat.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Heck, I can’t remember the last time I had £35 in cash in my wallet let alone £175. Contactless whenever possible for me. Even the local chippy has gone contactless. Just need the Chinese takeaway to follow suit. That’s about the only time I pay in actual cash (except for parking at the footy but that’s a distant memory).

Just worked it out... it was actually 6th July when it dropped to £35/loan was transferred back into my bank.

That's 10 days of not spending any cash/going to cashpoint... and I have been spending/shopping etc... so hey, I'm getting there!  ?

Truth is, Covid... and the past 16 months or so... have paid a big part in that.  Not wishing to handle cash handled by others.  Even the feared card-reader key pad is fast becoming a thing of the past, as I much prefer the option of apple pay.  Not so hindered with spend limit for a start, and whilst I do currently have to key in a 4 digit code (my mobile doesn't recognise me in a mask!) at least that is my keypad, on my mobile, untouched by others! ?

The lady on the till at Morrisons informed me the other week (after I grumbled about having to use the keypad for an intended contactless card transaction) that some banks get you to use your pin every 4th (contactless) card transaction, for security purposes.  No idea how true that is, but it's enough to guide me even more towards using my mobile every time, and leaving the card firmly in my wallet.

??

22 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The issue is that if all money is electronic, the Government or the banks can end your access to it or dictate how you're allowed to spend it. That's why cash has its uses and one reason why cryptocurrencies were invented.

No surprise this is happening at Pride Park as the year we've had has accelerated the change, but it makes me think about the notion mentioned elsewhere of specific cryptocurrencies for clubs and if this could be a way of investing in DCFC and the local area.

It’s interesting isn’t it ! Then I think back to Georgian and Victorian mill owners who for a while paid workers in tokens redeemable at the mill shop .. tricky road to go down 

54 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Just worked it out... it was actually 6th July when it dropped to £35/loan was transferred back into my bank.

That's 10 days of not spending any cash/going to cashpoint... and I have been spending/shopping etc... so hey, I'm getting there!  ?

Truth is, Covid... and the past 16 months or so... have paid a big part in that.  Not wishing to handle cash handled by others.  Even the feared card-reader key pad is fast becoming a thing of the past, as I much prefer the option of apple pay.  Not so hindered with spend limit for a start, and whilst I do currently have to key in a 4 digit code (my mobile doesn't recognise me in a mask!) at least that is my keypad, on my mobile, untouched by others! ?

The lady on the till at Morrisons informed me the other week (after I grumbled about having to use the keypad for an intended contactless card transaction) that some banks get you to use your pin every 4th (contactless) card transaction, for security purposes.  No idea how true that is, but it's enough to guide me even more towards using my mobile every time, and leaving the card firmly in my wallet.

??

I have a Revolut Card that I load up every pay day with my 'pocket money'. The App tells me how much I'm spending, what I've got left etc. Plus for security after so many contactless transactions it asks me to confirm on App rather than forcing me to use chip and pin.

5 hours ago, Betty Swollocks said:

Personally, whilst I understand that this is a sign of the times, I think it is a bad move.

IMO it alienates the older generation. My Dad for instance hasnt got a "Tap and Go" card and always like to pay in cash so he doesnt lose track of what he`s spending. For him, I know, it will make him think twice about going as he doesn`t sit with me and will almost certainly stop him buying anything within the stadium if he does go.

That’s a backwards way of thinking about it though. If I pay with cash, I’ve got no idea what I’ve spent that on. Before I know my moneys all gone and I don’t know where. If I do everything through my card, I can check my bank account every week, see what I’ve got and what I’ve spent on. If you’re really into tracking your money, then I put everything into a spreadsheet each week as well I’ve got records going back about 19 years now. Cash transactions puss me off cos they mess with the spreadsheet. All I know is we’ve taken cash out the account, I’ve no idea why or what it was spent on. 

If you pay contactless using your phone, do you need to have an internet signal?

That's always been a bit of a problem for me at Pride Park. 1) because you're in a concrete/metal box and 2) there are 25000+ people in the same box trying to share the same weak signal

2 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

If you pay contactless using your phone, do you need to have an internet signal?

That's always been a bit of a problem for me at Pride Park. 1) because you're in a concrete/metal box and 2) there are 25000+ people in the same box trying to share the same weak signal

No, you don’t. Not sure how they work it, I assume it just records the transaction then updates you’re bank account next time it’s got connection. But theoretically you could have a fiver in your account, turn the internet off your phone and then spend loads and go massively overdrawn. 

3 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Nah, when you add your cards to Apple Pay or Google Pay, it creates the same information which is what is on a contactless card on the NFC chip in the phone. No signal required.

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

That’s a backwards way of thinking about it though. If I pay with cash, I’ve got no idea what I’ve spent that on. Before I know my moneys all gone and I don’t know where. If I do everything through my card, I can check my bank account every week, see what I’ve got and what I’ve spent on. If you’re really into tracking your money, then I put everything into a spreadsheet each week as well I’ve got records going back about 19 years now. Cash transactions puss me off cos they mess with the spreadsheet. All I know is we’ve taken cash out the account, I’ve no idea why or what it was spent on. 

You want a waterproof surveyors notepad and pencil, and jot down as you spend.  Load onto spreadsheet on a Saturday evening, straight after Sale of the Century, and jobs a good 'un!  In bed by 9, and up at the crack, in plenty of time for your egg and soldiers.

You are one surveyors notepad away from a perfect, yet exciting, life!  

*He says sarcastically... whilst looking forward to his own exciting saturday night, sat reading a football forum all evening!  ?

14 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

Nah, when you add your cards to Apple Pay or Google Pay, it creates the same information which is what is on a contactless card on the NFC chip in the phone. No signal required.

Of course. The card doesn’t need an internet connection, so why would the phone. It’s the merchant that contacts your bank to see if there’s enough money in your account. 

I was so upset when the barter system finished.

When i needed fresh fruit and vegetables I had merely to send my wife into the forest to gather wood, drag it to market, and swap it for apples.

Then they outlawed hunting wild boar in the name of "conservation!"

Oh well, that's progress I suppose.

Roll on the ice age!

19 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Good point. I was at Trent Bridge last night for the England 20 20 match and the 4g signal outside and inside especially was non existent. It proved havoc for those trying to access their Covid passport on their NHS app trying to get in as they couldn't get a decent signal.

Pluses and minuses for both I guess 

with scores or even potentially hundreds of small transactions on a card or phone each month must be difficult to know they’re all ok

I always have cash as well as cards

some traders want cash 

technology dependent 

interesting to see the individual transactions time savings claimed E v cash

if you want serving at the bar do you wave your phone rather than a tenner ? 

12 hours ago, Brammie Steve said:

I was so upset when the barter system finished.

When i needed fresh fruit and vegetables I had merely to send my wife into the forest to gather wood, drag it to market, and swap it for apples.

Then they outlawed hunting wild boar in the name of "conservation!"

Oh well, that's progress I suppose.

Roll on the ice age!

We'll just what am I supposed to do with my loft full of tally sticks now????? ?