Pride Park Goes Cashless

DarkFruitsRam7

10 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Not just that my memory not very good and I dont want to lose and been many times I throught I had I rather leave it at home were it is safe.

Have a word with your bank.

I believe most contactless card need the pin number entering now and again, for security purposes?  Maybe they can over-ride that, to enable you to always use it as contactless, without the need for a pin number?

Apple-Pay is good... if you have i-phone, of course!  Added benefit of finger-print/face recognition too.

Assuming none of the above suits you, but assuming you do have a mobile phone, add a disguised/fake contact in there, with the last 4 digits being your PIN number (just in case you forget).

Failing all that, just do as I do, and use the same obvious number for everything... 1884!   ?

You need to start looking at options, as this is going to become a thing, rather quickly, I suspect!  Good luck, buddy.  

7 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Every single shop has cash and card so why is a football stadium any different it is not.

A lot more places are going cashless. If you’re worried you’ll forget your card, do you have a smart phone?

or, you’d probably have a legit claim to get a smart watch (you can claim it as an essential adaptation for your needs). Difficult to forget something strapped to your wrist. I bought my dad one for Father’s Day, for a number of reasons, and this is one. 

it’s the way things are going, so you’re better off getting on board or getting left behind on the river bank shouting and moaning and watching everyone else disappear into the distance. 

10 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Scammers

We get trained in this at work also

It is possible for digital pickpockets to go around with a card machine set to charge £20 then just press it up against you’re back pocket and hope it picks up the chip on your card.

if you’re worried about this, smart phones and watches solve the problem, but also you can get rfid blocking wallets. Or you can just keep wrap you wallet in aluminium. 

the people you’re actually paying can’t scam you. Only thing you really have to look out for is that they’ve typed the right amount in the machine, which is the digital version of checking your change. 

8 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

A lot more places are going cashless. If you’re worried you’ll forget your card, do you have a smart phone?

or, you’d probably have a legit claim to get a smart watch (you can claim it as an essential adaptation for your needs). Difficult to forget something strapped to your wrist. I bought my dad one for Father’s Day, for a number of reasons, and this is one. 

it’s the way things are going, so you’re better off getting on board or getting left behind on the river bank shouting and moaning and watching everyone else disappear into the distance. 

I'd be very surprised to discover our good friend and top fellow Ram @B4ev6is to be found anywhere near a riverbank, thank you very much!  Horrible places, riverbanks!   ??

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

It is possible for digital pickpockets to go around with a card machine set to charge £20 then just press it up against you’re back pocket and hope it picks up the chip on your card.

Yes, but in order to process the payments, they need a merchant account, and that makes it very straight forward to identify the perpetrators.  The banks will act pretty quickly if fraudulent transactions are taken like this. 
The other suggestion is that your card can be cloned to create a physical counterfeit copy of a card, but the details that can be “skimmed” aren’t sufficient to enable this. 
You do of course need to keep a close eye on transactions, but you’re not going to get your account cleared out. 

13 hours ago, David said:

Can't remember the last time I used a cash point, or even carried cash on me.

Would speed up the service no end, contactless is so quick and easy, doesn't make sense to have young staff messing around with change whilst trying to serve hundreds of fans in a short space of time.

I've been to a cash machine twice over the past 24 months - once to get  cash in hand for a small renovation project, and the second time to pay for something on Facebook marketplace.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I've been to a cash machine twice over the past 24 months - once to get  cash in hand for a small renovation project, and the second time to pay for something on Facebook marketplace.

Must admit, despite using cashless options more and more often over the last few years, (which I'm comfortable with, to be fair), I do still hate having no cash on me.  It just "Doesn't seem right"!
I'm currently down to £35 in my wallet, but only because I helped a mate to pay £140 cash the other day (and he bank transferred it back to me).  That's by far the lowest it's been for a good 20 years! 
The annoying thing was, he knew he was paying cash on collection, but asked me if I had any cash on me "To save me going to the cashpoint"!  Now I'll have to go to the cashpoint!  

Cashless ******!  GRRR!  ?

Sign of the times I think.  Much easier to administer, use and control when just using plastic than cash - no delays with working out change, storing £1000s in cash, then getting it to the bank, plus the security costs that go with that.  Twickers went cashless sometime ago - remember it catching me out once as I'd taken over £100 in cash for the day only to find they'd gone cashless so that just burnt a whole in my pocket.  Historically I always used to have £50 cash on me "just in case" and if I spent some of it I'd have to visit the ATM to top it back up to £50.  I then started working in London where it was just easier to pay by card rather than have change rattling around in your pockets.  I now don't stress if I just have a fiver in my wallet as I tap and go for everything, mainly with my phone these days.

It can be scary for some - it's only recently I've convinced my wife to pay by phone rather than rummage for her card , and indeed for her business I arranged for her to have a Zettle card reader which was great for her and her clients and meant she could use it anywhere, linked to the app on her phone. If I recall in the budget, Sunak said the limit would be raising to £100 after this year, so we'll be tapping and going for almost everything. 

Oyster cards are now contact less.  You can use your phone, your watch, a key fob, you have Google Pay, Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay, PayPal, Venmo, FitBit Pay, Garmin Pay.  There really is a plethora of ways to do it, more coming all the time.  It does show that this is the way technology is going.  How many of you use cheques now?  Probably not many.  Same for cash, fewer and fewer people carry cash these days or like me, only carry it for emergencies i.e. if the contactless network goes down....or, as I'll be doing tomorrow, chucking money into the kitty for the lads' all dayer we have planned.   

Personally, whilst I understand that this is a sign of the times, I think it is a bad move.

IMO it alienates the older generation. My Dad for instance hasnt got a "Tap and Go" card and always like to pay in cash so he doesnt lose track of what he`s spending. For him, I know, it will make him think twice about going as he doesn`t sit with me and will almost certainly stop him buying anything within the stadium if he does go.

13 minutes ago, Betty Swollocks said:

Personally, whilst I understand that this is a sign of the times, I think it is a bad move.

IMO it alienates the older generation. My Dad for instance hasnt got a "Tap and Go" card and always like to pay in cash so he doesnt lose track of what he`s spending. For him, I know, it will make him think twice about going as he doesn`t sit with me and will almost certainly stop him buying anything within the stadium if he does go.

With cash tills you could be queuing for the 15 minutes at HT just to get served so a lot of people don't bother. Cashless should see those queues disappear quicker so more people may actually end up getting served.

37 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

On a wider society scale there are a lot of people who simply don’t know how much they are spending and they simply can’t afford what they are spending and with cash you can see when it’s gone or going to be gone 

You have an app that tells you exactly how much money you have left these days. 

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Must admit, despite using cashless options more and more often over the last few years, (which I'm comfortable with, to be fair), I do still hate having no cash on me.  It just "Doesn't seem right"!
I'm currently down to £35 in my wallet, but only because I helped a mate to pay £140 cash the other day (and he bank transferred it back to me).  That's by far the lowest it's been for a good 20 years! 
The annoying thing was, he knew he was paying cash on collection, but asked me if I had any cash on me "To save me going to the cashpoint"!  Now I'll have to go to the cashpoint!  

Cashless ******!  GRRR!  ?

Heck, I can’t remember the last time I had £35 in cash in my wallet let alone £175. Contactless whenever possible for me. Even the local chippy has gone contactless. Just need the Chinese takeaway to follow suit. That’s about the only time I pay in actual cash (except for parking at the footy but that’s a distant memory).