Is 5 too young.

24Charlie

A bit of advice please.

I'm toying with the idea of taking my grandson, who will be 5 next week, to the Man Utd friendly but I'm not sure if he's too young.

I thinking of using it a test event and if he likes it I'll get him a season ticket.

Does anyone on here take a child of this age?

2 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

A bit of advice please.

I'm toying with the idea of taking my grandson, who will be 5 next week, to the Man Utd friendly but I'm not sure if he's too young.

I thinking of using it a test event and if he likes it I'll get him a season ticket.

I took my son at 5 and I think for him it was too soon. He’s 8 now and loves it. My advice would be take him but take plenty of sweets, treats and other bits to keep him occupied. 

I was so eager to take my lad but think taking him too soon put him off a bit. All kids are different though. 

Just now, 24Charlie said:

A bit of advice please.

If he likes/loves football then it’s fine age to start.

If he is not particularly interested then it could be hard work (based on my experience) but still worth a try.

Recommend getting quite close to the pitch.

I vaguely remember going around that age. It's too young to really understand much of what's happening, but I liked it because I got to spend time with my dad. I think it's well worth taking him just for the new experience. To be honest the way Derby are at the moment it's a blessing not being able to understand the game.

9 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

A bit of advice please.

I was 4 for my first game. With it being a reduced capacity friendly I don't see any problems.
A full capacity league game can be a bit intimidating for some, so it's a good chance to test.

7 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

sweets, treats and other bits

I second this suggestion

Just now, Anon said:

I vaguely remember going around that age. It's too young to really understand much of what's happening, but I liked it because I got to spend time with my dad. I think it's well worth taking him just for the new experience. To be honest the way Derby are at the moment it's a blessing not being able to understand the game.

well it doesn't stop many of the posters on here ?

My son had his baptism at 5 vs Sunderland at the old BBG.  Despite living in the Home Counties, I managed to navigate his path through the pot-hunting peer groups supporting 'popular' top-flight clubs and now, some 28 years later, he's forgotten more about our players than I will ever know.  His youngest daughter was also sporting a DCFC kit from 6 months old, poor thing!  

So, in summary @24Charlie (my son's name too) it's the best thing you can do for your grandson!  Blood him early.  

If you want to avoid your child learning how to criticise any mistakes or to boo very loudly - avoid the East Stand.

Seriously, if he's already interested in the game then 5 is ok.  Watch his reactions during that first match and how he is when you get home - that will probably tell you whether it's too soon or not. If he pesters you with "when can we go again grandad?" then you'll know the answer to your question.

Edited by Wolfie20

I took young Ilkley for the first time when he was about that age - he still goes over 20 years later - but I think it depends on the child.

Some things to think about -

Noise - people shouting (or even lots of people in masks) might be scary.  I've seen kids with noise cancelling headphones. Young Ilkley cried when we scored and all the fans shouted (might not be a problem on Sunday!)

Weather - a warm day is better than rain/cold

Distractions - sweets/entertainment/games on a phone etc should the entertainment on offer get too boring (though be prepared to leave early). Unless I've read it wrong there is going to be some kind of controlled exit arrangement.  Not sure how it will work and whether early leaving is OK.  I presume the loos etc will have to be open but access to them might be controlled.

Travel - I picked an away match close to our (then) home so that it wasn't too long a day and I knew the walk to the ground wasn't a long one.

Be prepared for endless questions - do we play in white shirts etc

Enjoy it - there's nothing to beat taking a youngster to his first football match, son or grandson (or daughter/granddaughter, because I took his sisters when they were a bit older too).  Best feeling in the world and the cause of many great memories that I wouldn't have otherwise have had.  Take at least one photo of you both together - you think you'll always remember it and the match and the score, but you won't.

17 minutes ago, Anon said:

Agree with this. Persevere with the child cruelty especially during the cold weather and you crack it by 8. May need a couple of slightly early finishes early on but like puppies they need patience…

32 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

A bit of advice please.

Just tell him that it’s his team (Derby county) and he has to support them through thick and thin and he has to make sure his Grandad gets to every Derby county fixture in the future and it will be his responsibility until he passes it on to his Grandson 

Thanks very much for the excellent responses and great advice. He loves kicking his football about but I suppose it's more about the awe inspiring sight and sounds of a football match that will grab him. 

This friendly with a small but upbeat crowd seems ideal to blood the lad.

I think I'll go for it. Hopefully there'll be some pairs of tickets left tomorrow and as I can't buy him one today.

Took both of mine from 2. Pop to the loo lots just before kick off and at half time as my youngest had a habit of choosing key moments to go. Like others have said take something to amuse him as even if he loves it his attention may go at times. Also helpful for those around you if they get bored - many a time I saw others watching the kids program on the tablet.  Hope he enjoys - its a lovely thing to do together. I was that age in the glory years but dad never took me which I dont let him forget