Man Utd Preseason, the return of the fan

Just now, Tamworthram said:

I get your point but isn’t the fact that we got free access to the games on RamsTV sort of compensation/a thank you for renewing? Why should the club continue to give away freebies when we’re already in a mess. Also, do you really think it would make it into the papers if they did do it?

It would have more impact by giving away the tickets than the subscription I think. I may be misremembering but haven't rams tv traditionally shown pre season games for free for season ticket holders? Again, I may be completely misremembering that though and it is a nice gesture.

I take the point about the freebies but given how so many people are struggling financially atm and how bad the club's reputation is even with a sizeable proportion of its own fanbase they need to start somewhere. A relatively small financial hit that is realistically less expensive than what they spent on the training camp could have quite a big upside in helping to secure wavering fans. It does need to be followed up with a strategy to foster dialogue with the fans once again to create more goodwill than there is. 

It probably wouldn't make the national papers no but it would make local press, local radio, and maybe try to get some bigger papers interested in the story that Derby is giving back to its fans after an especially difficult 18 months. It's not uncommon for gestures like this not to go unnoticed. 

1 minute ago, Leeds Ram said:

It would have more impact by giving away the tickets than the subscription I think. I may be misremembering but haven't rams tv traditionally shown pre season games for free for season ticket holders? Again, I may be completely misremembering that though and it is a nice gesture.

I take the point about the freebies but given how so many people are struggling financially atm and how bad the club's reputation is even with a sizeable proportion of its own fanbase they need to start somewhere. A relatively small financial hit that is realistically less expensive than what they spent on the training camp could have quite a big upside in helping to secure wavering fans. It does need to be followed up with a strategy to foster dialogue with the fans once again to create more goodwill than there is. 

It probably wouldn't make the national papers no but it would make local press, local radio, and maybe try to get some bigger papers interested in the story that Derby is giving back to its fans after an especially difficult 18 months. It's not uncommon for gestures like this not to go unnoticed. 

All good points however, I still don’t think it would really make any sort of impact on wavering fans. Maybe it’s just me but I can’t really imagine many are going to think “the club care about us after all because they’re letting us in to a pre-season friendly for free”.

I agree that’s seems bizarre to gone away to a training camp but, presumably, there is some kind of rationale and maybe this game, as well as being a preparation pre-season friendly, is intended to part or fully finance it.

10 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

All good points however, I still don’t think it would really make any sort of impact on wavering fans. Maybe it’s just me but I can’t really imagine many are going to think “the club care about us after all because they’re letting us in to a pre-season friendly for free”.

I agree that’s seems bizarre to gone away to a training camp but, presumably, there is some kind of rationale and maybe this game, as well as being a preparation pre-season friendly, is intended to part or fully finance it.

You're probably right not on it's own it would be unlikely to have a massive effect. The 'free' aspect would probably need to be focusing on welcoming the fans back to pride park.  Because you want as many people to join us for the re-opening you'll make it free for season ticket holders etc. why not make a big show of it? It's not a normal pre-season after-all.. they should be looking at making it like a carnival, a big welcome back party. 

It would need to be part of a broader package of measures to secure wavering fan loyalty that must be present not only due to the teams poor performance but concern over the ownership of the club and everything that has gone on. The lack of communication has been seen by a sizeable minority as a major issue that they need to rectify as has in the past ticketing prices for example once demand based ticketing disappeared a few years ago. Reintroducing fans forums more regularly post freedom day would be a good start to address some of the issues that have occurred in recent months. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

I think the club should charge for the friendlies. We paid £16.50 to watch the "reserve reserves" at Matlock last night - sure their club welcomed the income. Derby are no different and I am happy to pay for friendlies. We did get free Rams TV last season on top of our ticket being rolled over, which I think was already pretty generous.

I would be interested in whether giving free tickets away would alter the mindset of some of the constant carpers on here? I very much doubt it! 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I would,as would some of my season ticket holding mates who have discussed it.

It would have been a welcome touch and helped to portray the club in a better light.

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I would,as would some of my season ticket holding mates who have discussed it.

It would have been a welcome touch and helped to portray the club in a better light.

That’s fine then and I’m not criticising. I just find it odd that a free ticket to an early pre-season friendly against probably Man United’s second team would sway you.

31 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Who said it would,no need to go to extremes,I said it would been a welcome gesture.

OK, a welcome gesture but not necessarily one the club can afford to make or, in my opinion, we really need. I guess we’d all like something for free now and then.

I can’t think of any reason at all why we’re playing our first pre-season friendly against Man Utd and the prices are what they are other than to generate a little bit of income. So, making it free to a large number of people is somewhat counter productive. Add to that, do we have to pay anything to United even if it’s just their expenses? I genuinely have no idea.

32 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

OK, a welcome gesture but not necessarily one the club can afford to make or, in my opinion, we really need. I guess we’d all like something for free now and then.

I can’t think of any reason at all why we’re playing our first pre-season friendly against Man Utd and the prices are what they are other than to generate a little bit of income. So, making it free to a large number of people is somewhat counter productive. Add to that, do we have to pay anything to United even if it’s just their expenses? I genuinely have no idea.

My understanding for domestic friendlies is no, it's usually a goodwill gesture from the visiting team, and the home side receive all the financial benefits.

They get a run out for fitness, chance to try a few less established players out, a simulation of an away day, and build up better links with the opponents.

The exceptions are international tournaments, as these are usually televised, and United for example can net up to £20m from these. Clubs also pocket a few million from playing exhibition games - I expect we paid Barce for example.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Well,the club have earned the interest from my £1000 or so sat in their bank account for the past 12 or so months and I've no quibble with that,together with all of the other fans who did the same.....so to my mind,small gestures of any sort to those loyal supporters go a long way.

I can't recall whether you stated that yourself invested in a season ticket or two for last season?

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Well,the club have earned the interest from my £1000 or so sat in their bank account for the past 12 or so months and I've no quibble with that,together with all of the other loyal fans who did the same so to my mind,small gestures to those loyal supporters go a long way.

I can't recall whether you stated that yourself invested in a season ticket or two for last season?

The club have used that money to fund themselves with little other income.

It's not been sat in the bank squirreled away for a rainy day. 

7 minutes ago, Rev said:

The club have used that money to fund themselves with little other income.

It's not been sat in the bank squirreled away for a rainy day. 

As i said,I've no issue with the club having it,which is why I didn't ask for a refund.

That was despite multi millionaire Mel still owning the club throughout that period.

That wasn't the point of the conversation however if you look back.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

14 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

As i said,I've no issue with the club having it,which is why I didn't ask for a refund.

That was despite multi millionaire Mel still owning the club throughout that period.

That wasn't the point of the conversation however if you look back.

Why not do a poll on who thinks the club should be giving out freebies?

Please correct me if I am wrong but don’t clubs have to pay the likes of Man U for a pre season game which obviously makes the host club sell tickets at inflated prices? 
Then again maybe it was negotiated in the sale price of those youngsters that were signed by Man U from our Academy?

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

Please correct me if I am wrong but don’t clubs have to pay the likes of Man U for a pre season game which obviously makes the host club sell tickets at inflated prices? 
Then again maybe it was negotiated in the sale price of those youngsters that were signed by Man U from our Academy?

Maybe we should let them have all the money from this game, then we don't have to pay a loan fee for Mengi. Embargo Buster

18 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Be my guest Roy.

Mate I don't think it's reasonable to be expecting freebies from a club that's struggling financially - maybe the ticket cash could go towards the HMRC payments we've defaulted on? That would enable us to sign more players.