City of Culture

1of4

Derby are going to apply to become the next city of culture. Have we got a chance of winning?I

Personally I think we need to sort out what is going to be done with the Assembly Rooms and the Becketwell Lane area before we have any chance of becoming the city of culture.

4 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Derby are going to apply to become the next city of culture. Have we got a chance of winning?I

Personally I think we need to sort out what is going to be done with the Assembly Rooms and the Becketwell Lane area before we have any chance of becoming the city of culture.

The bar must be pretty low and, proves any city can win in, when Coventry do. ?

25 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

I think the idea is we attract the funds to make that possible 

On 06/07/2021 at 18:15, 1of4 said:

Becketwell is underway.

I think we have a good chance of winning to be honest. There is a lot going on culturally in Derby if you can be bothered to look for it. We're clearly missing a proper performance venue but that will change by 2025 with the one going on Becketwell.

I think the city centre will be a very different place in 2025 and using the City of Culture to relaunch it is a great idea.

2 hours ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Becketwell is underway.

I think we have a good chance of winning to be honest. There is a lot going on culturally in Derby if you can be bothered to look for it. We're clearly missing a proper performance venue but that will change by 2025 with the one going on Becketwell.

I think the city centre will be a very different place in 2025 and using the City of Culture to relaunch it is a great idea.

Exactly.

I think people have misunderstood what the City of Culture award is. Its not a prize for the city with the best theatres etc.

It's a transformation title and process.

Like most improved player.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sage said:

One of seaside towns will win this nomination. Lots of stuff politically about coastal poverty and low education achievement. Politically they won't ignore that.   

Levelling up?

Margate will win it.

On 06/07/2021 at 18:21, Tamworthram said:

The bar must be pretty low and, proves any city can win in, when Coventry do. ?

Live near Coventry and there's a lot of great stuff going on over there at the moment. It's actually impressive and Derby could do worse than to go for it. As for Coventry, yup it's a cheap and easy shot but The Specials, Two Tone, Delia Derbyshire, culturally diverse city. Look, I get it, sixties planning eyesore but there's enough there to make a pretty decent event out of and - to date - they're doing a pretty good job, even in all of what has been thrown at them.

• 4 weeks later...

Just seen this tweet from the Minister for Culture. It lists “Derby County” as applying for the next European City of Culture (not “Derby” and not “Derbyshire”).  What’s that all about, then?

B46D1A6F-2FBE-4A82-96F8-121F95B3C624.jpeg