Phil Jagielka & Richard Stearman - Both Signed

Heisenberg

This thread so reminds me of the Kazim thread last year!! I might start lifting quotes from there as there's a couple of repeat offenders dismissing these potential moves out of hand too

Some thoughts;

1. If Mengi is coming back & we are looking to progress Cashin & Jordan Brown, they absolutely need experience around to help them. Davies is a must to re-sign but he isn't going to play 46 games so at least one other experienced CB is needed, ideally two
  2. As others have mentioned, we currently have no senior CBs on the books - if we get both on short term deals on the right money, I don't see the harm. May even have a coaching angle also
  3. Don't deny either player is well past their past but Jagielka always been good in the air (essential in this division) & remember Stearman as a good organiser/positionally decent

Obviously we all hope the takeover goes through, we file our accounts which are compliant & the EFL quickly lift the transfer embargo so we can start looking at more exciting targets but the reality is we have to assume those things won't happen at present or before the season starts. Therefore we get bodies into the squad in a position where we have no-one & build out from that.

Looks like they're both there in the Rooney video, with him saying Wiz is joining the group as well. Wisdom, Davies, Jagielka and Stearman as the 4 centre backs (possibly in that order of ability now too). 

Look. It isn't great but it isn't absolutely dreadful. Better than having none. 

EDIT - if we get Mengi too then we're genuinely ok in that position, and in defence in general. That would be quite the turnaround from where we are now. 

Edited by RamsFan10

We need to be realistic as this is now where we are at. The embargo means we are unlikely to be able to compete in terms of wages with most clubs in the championship and some in league 1. We therefore need to look at players with question marks over them like CKR.

Both players mentioned will be better than what we currently have in the squad today.

Jagielka has always been seen as a good leader and pro, and can play centre half or defensive midfield. Whilst unlikely to have the legs he will offer back up and vital experience to what is likely to be a young squad.

Stearman will be the same. Having played over 70 games in the premier League and won  promotion 3 times, twice out of championship and been signed by managers like McCarthy and Wilder would question some of the comments on here about his ability.

We need centre half’s so we are looking at some ! 
Jagielka was at a premiership club last season and has always been a very decent player - we need to head the ball away in the championship and he can do that - no risk short term signing - different player different time but remember Paul McGrath - he couldn’t run couldn’t train but he could certainly defend! 

As for stearman - well he is experienced so let’s take a look. 

I’m not against this. We lack experience and I’d hope we can agree some sort of pay as you play deal for a year.

It gets us through this tough period and if we have Wisdom/Mengi/Davies as well then their influence will be more on  the training field and dressing room than on the pitch. 

Edited by Mckram

Bizarrely, either this morning or yesterday, i passed a nice SUV, probably X5 and looked at the bloke inside and thought “dead ringer for Jagielka he is”. It was on my commute, so I think it was Stenson Fields ??‍♂️ and about 7:15am.

9 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Bizarrely, either this morning or yesterday, i passed a nice SUV, probably X5 and looked at the bloke inside and thought “dead ringer for Jagielka he is”. It was on my commute, so I think it was Stenson Fields ??‍♂️ and about 7:15am.

Are there any post offices around there ?. Might have been on his way to collect his pension ?

I know this sounds ridiculous, but this is actually the most exciting news we’ve had for ages. They might be old and knackered. But they’ll fill a hole and give us some experience. 
I just hope this happens and that there’s much more to come

30 minutes ago, Malty said:

I know this sounds ridiculous, but this is actually the most exciting news we’ve had for ages. They might be old and knackered. But they’ll fill a hole and give us some experience. 
I just hope this happens and that there’s much more to come

Can’t work out if this is tongue in cheek ??