Phil Jagielka & Richard Stearman - Both Signed

Heisenberg

Stearman is a definite no go tbh and unless we are absolutely desperate for bodies or out of options we shouldn't be touching him with a bargepole. I'm not particularly convinced a 38 year old Jagielka can do a job for a season at this level either anymore. Given that we've only 1 cb who played 10 minutes last season on our books we need to be looking at a reliable cb pairing who can play 35 games together. I seriously doubt Jagielka can manage it at his age but might be a potential 3rd cb I guess. 

10 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Stearman is a definite no go tbh and unless we are absolutely desperate for bodies or out of options we shouldn't be touching him with a bargepole. I'm not particularly convinced a 38 year old Jagielka can do a job for a season at this level either anymore. Given that we've only 1 cb who played 10 minutes last season on our books we need to be looking at a reliable cb pairing who can play 35 games together. I seriously doubt Jagielka can manage it at his age but might be a potential 3rd cb I guess. 

Jagielka for new Captain maybe.

3 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Jagielka for new Captain maybe.

Potentially, although he might not play enough for that. I think what we don't want to end up doing is creating a squad made up of old men and young boys which it looks like we could end up doing at this rate. 

Jagielka has clearly kept himself in decent condition to be 38 and been at prem clubs up until now, not sure he missed many games at Sheff U due to injury, more to do with them having other options.

At this level, as long as he is fit, which is why he is training with us, then I see no reason why he cannot give us 1 decent season. He has had a very good career in the prem, he may have lost abit of pace but he will still be a decent CB at this level.

Firstly they are only training with us at the moment.
Secondly we don’t really have a huge amount of options as generally players (understandably considering recent events) seem to have a lack of enthusiasm for playing for ‘Wayne Rooneys Derby County’. Jags is old but everyone that managed him has nothing but good to say about him. Positionally he’s great and was still reasonably quick last season judging by the limited appearances he had. 
Stearman we were linked with years ago and he was admittedly in a purple patch back then but you never know he could be okay. What’s the job realistically this season? Survival? It’s going to be tough. We didn’t concede loads last season and if (it’s a big if) we can get Beilik in front of that defence along with the ratting like qualities of Shinnie I think we’d be okay. Goals will be our main issue. We need some pace and guile up front in my opinion to make runs off those CKR knockdowns. 

7 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Stearman is a definite no go tbh and unless we are absolutely desperate for bodies or out of options we shouldn't be touching him with a bargepole. I'm not particularly convinced a 38 year old Jagielka can do a job for a season at this level either anymore. Given that we've only 1 cb who played 10 minutes last season on our books we need to be looking at a reliable cb pairing who can play 35 game's together. I seriously doubt Jagielka can manage it at his age but might be a potential 3rd cb I guess. 

Davies actually made 13 appearances before his injury but we get your point.

As I said in a previous post I dont know who people expect us to be  going in for as things are. We cant buy any players atm so we're shopping in the bargain basement. CKR being a classic. I also remember Paul McGrath being brilliant for us too. In normal circumstances I'm sure we wouldn't be going in for Messrs Jagielka & Stearman....but these aren't normal times are they. In fairness I know nothing of Stearman - but 500 games indicates someone who has had a good career.  Having played a similar amount of games Jagielka has been Club Captain for many years and is a clear leader and (correct me if I'm wrong) has 40 England caps...Equally from the video on Ramsplayer both look to have kept themselves in shape....

16 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

If this is the calibre of players we are looking at then Christ.

Also would indicate that the takeover isn't close. Because I'd hope with new owners we'd be looking at slightly better players than this.

I can't see Christ coming, although he'd be a good utility player - apparently he can play in three places at once....

He's too busy at the moment though, answering all those emails about war, pestilence, famine, covid, etc. He'd also increase the average age of our centre back options.

Probably past his best.

Tony Benson previously of Woking and Roy Hedges of Concorde FC have been seen amongst the new faces training with the Derby first team squad, Benson (54) and Hedges (47) are hoping to show Rooney they are up to the challenge ahead. Benson was said to be very surprised to receive the call, as he was tending to his allotment at the time, but he will be hoping he can win over the gaffer and secure his first club since retiring 16 years ago. 

According to sources the club are pressing ahead with signings for the new season after Wayne submitted his shopping list to the clubs recruitment team, written on the back of a cigarette packet.