Has the transfer embargo been lifted?

oldtimeram

You'd hope the EFL are seeing sense on the "professional standing" issue. Otherwise they are going to a) disincentivise clubs to give very young, very unproven players any experience in the league or cups (we're hardly the only ones facing a transfer embargo after all), and b) incentivise clubs to sack, pay off or otherwise find ways to get rid of those young players when faced with a situation like this. There has to be a way of defining a player of "professional standing" which includes talented young players who are genuinely able to play a first-team role at the relevant level, and the kids we played against Chorley. The bottom line: is the EFL's job to regulate a sensible soft embargo that prevents us spending loads of money while ensuring we can at least put out a team, or is it just to punish Derby County?

27 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

So if the EFL say ok those players you played against Chorley are not of a professional standing as we recognise these were exceptional circumstances.

Does anyone know how many players we would be allowed to sign so we can get to 23?

4 we think.

1 hour ago, jake0603 said:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/Derby-county-transfer-embargo-u-5674155.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Looks like there will be some movement on this. Expect to see Davies and Mengi being announced soon then. 

We've heard "soon" coming out of Derby for umpteen takeovers that never materialized. Right now I don't believe anything until it's official. I'd  love this to  be resolved but the EFL will likely say "next week" then "we need another week" then "we can't prioritize you over other clubs, another couple of weeks" and so on until the season starts and everyone's been snapped up. They'll probably agree Chorley wasn't a professional game on the very last day of the transfer window and say "we did everything we could".

2 hours ago, Carnero said:

I still wouldn't rule out the nuclear option of releasing some/all of the "Chorley 8" + Brown + Hutchinson if the EFL play hardball.

That's what I assumed would have been included in our "case" to the EFL to relax or alter the rules around this.

I don't know how much it would cost to terminate the contracts of all youth players who featured versus Chorley, and I really don't want that to happen. However from the club's perspective, relegation would cost a lot more. If we have to play with a lot of the players who lost against Chorley, we would be relegated. It's business sense to 'sacrifice' those players for those such as Baldock, Aluko, Morrison, Jagielka etc. to give us a better chance of competing this season.

As long as we can compete and hope to keep our heads above the water, then hopefully a takeover and disciplinary issues can be sorted, and then *finally* next season we could perhaps look to build a stable football club in the Championship again.

I guess it would be the EFL's choice as to whether they'll allow us to sign the players without releasing youth players or not. There's no way we will start the season with the group of registered players we have now.

18 minutes ago, Malty said:

Wow. I can’t believe that we’re in a position where we say “I really hope no one else signs Andre wisdom”.

no disrespect to Andre, it’s just a such a sad state of affairs.

I'm happy for someone else to sign Wisdom tbh, d'ya think there's any takers. ?

Edited by RoyMac5

2 hours ago, CBRammette said:

I dont know what but must be different to other clubs regarding HMRC default as they are not listed as embargoed because of it except Swindon. No point us speculating really as we are all totally in the dark on state of play with everything! 

People on here said it was PAYE and that we can’t have any other problems because we’re loss making. But could a gain on the stadium sale have caused problems with HMRC ? 

19 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

The 'problems far from over' bit is what we know already:

"However, that in itself only addresses one of the major issues Derby are dealing with.

The detail of any contracts offered, which can only be for a single season, or half-a-year if the player joins on loan, will be closely monitored by the English Football League, who impose a salary limit for each individual.

In addition, the four separate reasons for Derby's transfer embargo being imposed in the first place still remain. Until that situation changes, the embargo will stay."

Even if the EFL relent on the players that played against Chorely it’s far from a complete solution to the problems.

Of the 8 players we’d be looking to lose from the ‘professional standing’ list there are several that would or could possibly have been close to an involvement this season anyway.

However I doubt very much that the EFL will allow us to claim these players shouldn’t be included within our squad nos and then sit back and allow us to give those players an involvement this season! So players like Bardell, Solomon, Thompson, Aghastise, Williams and Duncan will more than likely be ‘de-registered’ as opposed to have contracts terminated and how does that leave them and how does that leave the first team squad when the inevitable injuries and suspensions hit?

It will still then only free up 4 spots from which we have 7 players looking to sign and so three of them won’t be getting a deal.

5 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The EFL will not help us by relaxing the terms of the embargo.

They actively want us to get relegated, they said as much in their appeal to the DC.

The only way out of this is for the club to pay HMRC in full (which we should have done anyway) and to publish the accounts.

Only when the EFL have no other choice will the embargo be lifted.

So it turns out the EFL will let us sign out of contract players. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57902385

Shows what I know ?

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

36 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I don't know how much it would cost to terminate the contracts of all youth players who featured versus Chorley

How do you suggest we fulfill the u23 and U18s fixtures for a season then?

I can say with almost certainty that no ones contracts will be terminated. 

7 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

So it turns out the EFL will let us sign out of contract players. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57902385

Really good news this and suggests Pearce meant it when he said the club was building bridges with EFL. Hopefully we are also agreeing the outstanding P&S returns with them so that the accounts can be filed 

I don't want to sound harsh but why don't the club just terminate the contracts of the 8 youth players who featured against Chorley? From my recollection none of them looked particularly great against the national north side, certainly not to the point I'd want them playing any significant part in our championship campaign this year. Surely, the cost of terminating 8 youth player contracts can't be deemed financially crippling to the club?