Has the transfer embargo been lifted?

oldtimeram

1 minute ago, Leeds Ram said:

Personally, I think it depends on where you situate your ethics. If I thought this kind of move allows the club a significantly better chance to stay in the division and ensure that we don't face further financial oblivion by dropping down a division then it's something I'd say the club should very reluctantly be doing. But I totally understand why people feel it's something the club should never do as these are young lads. 

It also depends though on how likely you think an agreement would be reached with the EFL and how long you would expect to be under a transfer embargo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57902385

It is understood the EFL will accept Derby's view that it would be unfair to class youngsters who played in their FA Cup loss at Chorley last season as being of 'professional standing'.

It's rare that the BBC report anything without a pretty firm idea that it's going to happen - So I'd imagine we're okay there

The second issue of the other factors keeping us under embargo - Don't account have to be submitted soon anyway? If we're able to submit in time and pay off the outstanding debts (taxes I assume are based on the filings we still need to make etc etc) - Then the club may know we're likely to be out of the embargo before the end of the transfer window - In which case our key signings need to be for the opening few games not the whole season

There's a balancing act here we know nothing about - It's unlikely to be a simple 'cancel contracts vs get relegated' situation 

21 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

So you think we can plead to EFL that these players are in no way of ‘professional standing’ and should count as such, allow us to make 4 new signing a only for us to then use these players anyway?

I don’t think so somehow 

I think the theory is that the guys that played against Chorley had not reached professional standard and were thrown in to meet the fixture.  I think that is a valid stance but it doesn't mean they never will.  Quite clearly if they had played in subsequent games that is a whole different issue.  The club isn't playing fast and loose with the rules and that should be clear even to the EFL

I would expect Davies and jagielka to be offered contracts to carry on playing and i think they are of the right character to understand the wage situation and want to actually be playing football - Wisdom may well be able to get higher wages elsewhere but if he was prepared to stay then fine, and for me Morrison is to much of a gamble when we have such little flexibility. Can we sign loans? If so Mengi may well be worth it if Man U pick up most of the Tab - yet we desperately need a decent centre forward don’t we. 

Just now, cheron85 said:

Anyone got any idea whether Wisdom and Davies count towards the 5?

Surely as we already hold their registration they won't be counted towards new registrations? In which case the above covers 5?

That's what I was referring to...if they are part of the 5 and we are also signing morrison, then surely Jags not Stearman and then Aluko or Baldock. 

5 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

That's what I was referring to...if they are part of the 5 and we are also signing morrison, then surely Jags not Stearman and then Aluko or Baldock. 

They are part of the 5 because they are free agents. They don't have a club just like the others. Their last club just happens to be Derby.

I'd be taking Davies, Jagielka, Morrison, Wisdom and Aluko.

I'd also look at selling Hutchinson and Watson for nominal amounts to bring in another player. 

I retain a hope that Marshall and/or Roos will be sold and we'll being I'm a couple of new keepers. I'd take Alsopp over both.

47 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

So you think we can plead to EFL that these players are in no way of ‘professional standing’ and should count as such, allow us to make 4 new signing a only for us to then use these players anyway?

I don’t think so somehow 

That's exactly how it should work.  You are allowed to bring your own youth players into the first team while under an embargo, even if that takes you beyond 23 players.  The point is, those players weren't of first team standard at the point we used them, and they weren't promoted out of choice, but were rushed in to cover an emergency.  So they shouldn't count as first team players (by whatever metric you use).  If it gets to say November, and we deem it necessary to use one of them, and that they are ready (having had the best part of a year of additional development time) then there should be no reason why we shouldn't use them.

11 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Do we though?

My understanding is yes - There is a term called 'out of registration' mentioned on the EFL website but I think that is for players who have been formally released - Davies and Wisdom haven't had their registration released (I don't think)

11 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Oh yeh I get that - But I think (reading loosely around the contract vs registration thing) Davies and Wisdom wouldn't count as new registrations...

Edited by cheron85

10 minutes ago, California Ram. said:

So if i’m reading it right - and if the players agree terms - we have the option of 5 from 8: Davies, Wisdom, Stearman, Jagielka, Mengi, Morrison, Aluko, Baldock. 

interesting choice - probably 3 of the 5 centre backs and 2 of the other three ? 

(Ryan Allsop presumed now out of the picture ?)

As existing players, Davies and Wisdom will be top of the list.

Mengi still supposedly unlikely due to 6 month limit.

Jagielka, Morrison and Bladock next on the list I reckon.

7 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

They are part of the 5 because they are free agents. They don't have a club just like the others. Their last club just happens to be Derby.

I'd be taking Davies, Jagielka, Morrison, Wisdom and Aluko.

I'd also look at selling Hutchinson and Watson for nominal amounts to bring in another player. 

I retain a hope that Marshall and/or Roos will be sold and we'll being I'm a couple of new keepers. I'd take Alsopp over both.

what sell our two bright sparks with some go in them for nominal fees what logic is that a true defeatist one in my view bring in a few old heads and fill up with youth and if we go down we will say we did our best.

Edited by islandram

Not sure if it's been highlighted but the 5 signings seems to indicate a first team squad of 18. There is currently 18 listed as first team on the official site, including Wisdom and Davies still. So that indicates to me they are 18 plus another 5?

Probably read too much into the site and maybe they are free agents. Ebosele not on that page but he has played since Crawley hasn't he? 

Good news, but still a bit of a mess! I'd like to see Widsom, Davies, Jagielka, Morrison and Mengi signed. We need defenders! But then again, we can't buy a goal most games!!

53 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

It’s a capital gain which I believe does attract corporation tax but can be set off against trading losses. But could have been a very chunky gain ... 

I guess we’ll see when the final accounts for the year in question if the sale proceeds caused us to make a profit.

In any event, corporation tax won’t have been accrued yet if the accounts/tax returns haven’t been submitted. So, the HMRC debt can’t be to do with the stadium sale (I believe).