Luke Varney

David

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you don't know the answer and neither do I

Exactamudo!

I'm not saying he was signed for this or that, I'm just suggesting that maybe the case.

Your too busy putting players into boxes and picking faults, give the lads a chance, we're 2 games into the season.

Doesn't mean he was signed a 'striker', Clough could of sat down with him and said look we want to sign you but we have other ideas on what position you can play.

Also define a 'natural striker', Rooney was playing quite deep in his first season at Man Utd, he was still classed as being a striker despite playing most of the game in a deeper role.

With the formation 4-2-3-1 the middle player of the 3 is basically playing in the hole, second striker kind of thing, how Commons played behind Hulse last season and Clough classes Commons as a striker does he not?.

Maybe that's the kind of striker Doyle is, maybe that's how he played when the Derby scouts watched him, maybe they played the exact same formation and Doyle will be playing the exact same position.

Like I say your trying to box players into named positions when in fact positions are flexible.

a striker is the furthermost player in the team who often lurks around 20-35 yards out, o in the last 1/3 of the pitch mainly. like I say doyle was signed as a striker thus that is where i automaticlly expect the lad to play however if he is better on the wing play him there, also rooney is a striker but often comes deep runs with it or links up, he is a trequesta, he roams a lot. A striker is also somone who leads the line

Doesn't mean he was signed a 'striker', Clough could of sat down with him and said look we want to sign you but we have other ideas on what position you can play.

Also define a 'natural striker', Rooney was playing quite deep in his first season at Man Utd, he was still classed as being a striker despite playing most of the game in a deeper role.

With the formation 4-2-3-1 the middle player of the 3 is basically playing in the hole, second striker kind of thing, how Commons played behind Hulse last season and Clough classes Commons as a striker does he not?.

Maybe that's the kind of striker Doyle is, maybe that's how he played when the Derby scouts watched him, maybe they played the exact same formation and Doyle will be playing the exact same position.

Like I say your trying to box players into named positions when in fact positions are flexible.

in that role commons is an advanced midfielder, im not sure if i have ever seen kris play the striker role actually.

I'm going to help you out here Daveo.

The best example of this and by that I mean most successful. Is of course, Dave Mackay. He 'was' a natural Midfielder/winger before he joined Derby.

Clough Sr. Turned him into a Sweeper

Where players play is just semantics.

I think we'd all agree that it'd be nice to have another quality, recognised goalscorer available. If one of the youngsters/development players is showing enough form to keep out a big name Championship goalscorer we'd be loving every second of it. As things stand we don't know if the kids are being touted for the first team because they're all we've got or if they deserve their chances on merit. Only choice we've got is to see what they're like if/when they play.

Still no need to panic. Played 1, won 1 (not interested in the pointless cup) - can't argue with that. So far - Clough in.

Maybe I'm being naive, optimistic or both but with the Premiership squad rules alot of players will be looking for loan moves and we are still an attractive club to come to. I'm really hopeful Clough can pull something out the bag in the next week or two, if Varney does go that would help the case.

We also don't know how long Porter is out for yet, it could just be a bruise, the panic button is still in it's box for me anyhow.

A NUMBER of clubs, including Queens Park Rangers, are interested in taking Derby County striker Luke Varney on loan.

The 27-year-old does not figure in the Rams' plans and is available for a move.

QPR appear to be leading the chase and Crewe Alexandra are keen on the player, who has also been linked with Bristol City and Millwall.

"Two or three clubs are interested and there are one or two discussions going on about loan moves. It could be sorted next week," confirmed Rams manager Nigel Clough.

Varney has made only five appearances for Derby since he signed permanently from Charlton Athletic for around £1m in January, 2009, a few days before Clough was installed as manager.

Previous manager Paul Jewell signed Varney on loan in the November with a view to the deal being made permanent.

Varney's last appearance for the Rams was as a substitute in a goalless draw at Blackpool a year ago and he spent virtually all of last season on loan with Sheffield Wednesday.

"With us playing one up top at the moment – and it looks as though that one will be Chris Porter or Rob Hulse – we don't need as many out-and-out strikers on the books if we are going to stick with this system," said Clough.

"There is no point in Luke sitting around and not being involved."

Crewe manager Dario Gradi admits he would like to take Varney to Gresty Road, where the player spent four year earlier in his career.

"I would love to have Luke Varney here but at this moment in time QPR want him," said Gradi.

"If there was any chance of him coming here, then of course we would take it but I wouldn't be optimistic on that one.

"I am sure there will be bigger clubs than us interested in taking him on loan."

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/football/clubs-look-favour-Rams-forward/article-2526127-detail/article.html?

Archived