Teden Mengi 21/22 season

DCFC1388

15 minutes ago, Coconut said:

He wasn't last season, as we witnessed.

However that's not to say he's not worth bringing in, or that he won't improve and be a lot better this season than last.

Like Tomori he looked better the more he played. It was his first time playing men's football too with lots of changing around him in a side fighting for it's divisional life. I thought he looked a good loan.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Like Tomori he looked better the more he played. It was his first time playing men's football too with lots of changing around him in a side fighting for it's divisional life. I thought he looked a good loan.

This!

I think young centre backs tend to take a while to develop, but then quickly make huge leaps. We saw it with Tomori. Michael Keane came here and was frighteningly bad, however it wasn't too much longer after he was with us that he developed into an established Championship centre back. 

You can take numerous examples, in fairness, so hopefully Mengi is the next to do so. I mean, we need him to do so, but ultimately he will need to be afforded time to develop and make mistakes. 

On 04/07/2021 at 08:37, RoyMac5 said:

Tomori had already had a loan at Hull, and I think somewhere else too, as well as being a year or 2 older. Hopefully we give him more than 2 games before getting in his back this season ?

I like the Tomori analogy, spot on.  Mengi seemed to get better and better each game, as he adjusted to a new level of football.  I think he could end up being a great addition and be a name we're regularly calling out in the same way we did with Tomori. We do however need to give him a bit of leeway and accept he's bound to make mistakes as he learns and improves. 

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I think young centre backs tend to take a while to develop, but then quickly make huge leaps. We saw it with Tomori. Michael Keane came here and was frighteningly bad, however it wasn't too much longer after he was with us that he developed into an established Championship centre back. 

You can take numerous examples, in fairness, so hopefully Mengi is the next to do so. I mean, we need him to do so, but ultimately he will need to be afforded time to develop and make mistakes. 

Brighton. I have a vague recollection of him coming on as a late sub against us, possibly at LB.

1 hour ago, BriggRam said:

Is he with us now

Not a done deal yet. The local paper up here (Manchester Evening News) yesterday had an article titled 'Teden Mengi close to sealing second Manchester United loan exit'.

Fans and club are so desperate for transfer news that I'm sure DCFC will make a big deal of this if it gets over the line.

On 05/07/2021 at 09:15, Ambitious said:

I can’t help but pick people up on this, because it seems to have become a popular opinion in retrospect.

I never remember he being bad. I always thought he looked like an aerially dominant and better on the ball version of Keogh. 

He had a stinker against Leicester when we were playing Jeff instead of Eustace but other than that I thought he looked class. If anything he’s not gone on to be as good as I thought he would. 

On 03/07/2021 at 17:35, mwram1973 said:

Liked the look of him last season tbh, unfortunate injury cost him game time. Good signing if true.

I think Menghi is 18 and you’d expect him to be improving massively. We started off playing him out of position where he looked very good on the ball but overall struggled a bit. When he settled in at CB I thought he looked the complete package in the making. I liked Tomori of course but I think Menghi has more talent. Great result if he and Clark return. 

Edited by kevinhectoring