At What Point Do You Cancel Your Season Ticket?

Sheikh n Bake

Football is a Saturday afternoon with your brother or mates.

Football is about arguing about the team, the tactics, the players, the manager and the oppostion.

Football is the banter, the sounds, the smells(!!), the andrenaline of walking to the ground - it's an emotion of highs and lows within just 90 minutes, and the next week, whatever the previous result may be, you go again.

Once you have committed to a club, it's yours for life, whatever division the team plays in.

I'm 69 years of age, and next Easter Monday 2022, will be the 60th anniversary of the first time I watched Derby County, when my dear father and uncle took me and my brother to the Baseball Ground.

I've stood on terraces, in all weathers, sat on hard seats, been treated to the hospitality suite, and even played on Pride Park in a charity game and football have given me despair at time, but also much enjoyment over the years.

I even bought a season ticket when I was working overseas and only saw 4 home games a season for 3 years, but I still supported Derby County from afar.

Whatever division The Rams find themselves in next season, I will shout at them, criticise them, moan until I'm blue in the face, but I'll support them because they are my club from my home town.

An interesting debate.  There are times in the past when I’ve thought about not renewing but I have, not necessarily because of the football but, as others have said, the day itself.  Meeting your mates, few beers and a bit of a laugh.  I’ve renewed for this year and will get excited once August comes round.

That said, the last year has made me take stock a bit.  I guess I’m becoming a bit disillusioned with professional football at the top levels - champ and prem.  It can be difficult to get to some games, particularly midweek and Sky mess about with so many moving games to Friday night and Saturday lunchtime, which is also a bit tricky.  And when you see the money in the Premier League and the struggles lower down it a bit disheartening.  We all know the situation we’re in and chasing the dream and spending big back in 2015/16 hasn’t helped that.  And situations like Macclesfield, Wigan, Bury and there are probably many more too show that it’s quickly becoming unsustainable, if it isn’t already.  And the gap is widening.  There’s been lots of debate about the relegated clubs and the level of parachute payments making it easy for them to go straight back up and it’s a valid point.  Before too long it’ll be a virtual closed shop - the three coming down will keep going back up.

I am seriously thinking I might enjoy watching my local non-league team instead.  The quality and atmosphere won’t be as good but it won’t be about the money, it’ll be closer to a level playing field, 3:00 kick off on a Saturday afternoon and I might feel like I’m helping out where it counts. Will that mean I’ll care any less about The Rams? Absolutely not!!  Will it mean I won’t go to some games I want to and know I’ll be able to attend?  Of course it won’t.  It’ll just be a personal choice based on my frustrations with how the game is run.  Sorry for the long post!!

In all the years of having an ST, I have never demanded that we were any good or even mediocre and god knows, I've watched my share of really poor Derby sides but what's left of a poor squad that only escaped relegation due to points deduction for a rival and that has been further decimated is going to get put to the sword on a regular basis. We would be lucky to not get relegated from League 1 as it stands never mind The Championship. The top end of the Championship will tear us apart and as per the run-in last year, we will be wondering if there is still such a thing as a winnable game.

I always end up renewing eventually however much I grumble, but I just wonder how much people will be able to bring themselves to watch a complete mismatch week after week. Agree completely that the matchday experience isn't all about winning but it'd be nice to think that there was some vague possibility.

1 hour ago, Sheikh n Bake said:

So the majority of you would buy tickets regardless of the state of the team and ambition showed by the club? Fair play.

I just wouldn't get any enjoyment knowing we're going to get turned over every week. I'd rather wait until we were in League One and could be competitive for mid table.

I support the Rams thick or thin. Ambition has nothing to do with anything they are my club and will go whether they are top of the Prem or bottom of Div 100. 
That’s how I feel others may differ 

2 hours ago, Sheikh n Bake said:

Interested to hear peoples thoughts about at what point do you decide enough is enough and you cancel your season ticket? There will always be those who say they'll fork out £500 a season because in their eyes they're the most loyal supporter...of which you're a chairman's dream!

Me personally, I refuse to be served up a poo sandwich. I won't be committing my money to watch a bunch of kids turn out and get turned over week in week out if we fail to invest in the playing squad. I don't think that makes me a glory supporter... but I don't think I'll have the right to complain each week if I buy a ticket knowing that the squad is under funded and left in a state. Effectively,  you know that you're getting yourself in for!

What's everyone else's considerations? 

I honestly don’t care if it is a bunch of kids .. They are, or will be the Rams .. they get my support and I’ll be buying my season ticket even if we are down to 11 players and a number 12 plus a reserve goalie and in league 2. ….BUT … I will only buy my ticket when I can go to a stadium that is as close to functioning normally as is reasonably possible. I don’t want lotteries for games where only 5k can go and it’s masks and stewards and you can’t do this or you can’t do that as far as the eye can see. .. The thing about football and watching it live .. it’s about letting your hair down, forgetting all the every day stuff for a couple of hours, getting away from it, downloading with something simple and straight forward .. us V them, give it your all. And afterwards, either basking in the moment or deciding to pick yourself up and have another go next week. … So I am not waiting for a new owner or the EFL and Machiavelli to do their stuff.. que sera sera … but I am waiting for Covid to be kicked in to the long grass.

1 hour ago, Sheikh n Bake said:

Well yeah... buying a season ticket during a premier league season isn't exactly a sign of loyalty though is it? 

However, buying it during a pre season where we have 10 players (?) And no sign of a takeover on sight and in the championship... That's showing loyalty. At What Point does loyalty turn to being daft? I suppose it's whatever gets you your kicks I guess.

I also feel like the only way to show Mel your displeasure though with the current situation is to vote with you feet and not give him anymore of our money.

Give him your money?

You do realise he is putting £x £x million of his own money into the club to keep it afloat. 

Do you think not putting your money in is going to help improve the squad that you think is already underfunded?

6 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

I'd support Derby and have a ST in the Conference North, and it would be every bit as much worth it as a season in the Prem. It's about the support, not the 'product'.

Even if you were being charged £500?

This is part of my argument. If we're being charged championship prices this season but have barely a team that would compete in L1, are we being ripped off? 

3 minutes ago, Sheikh n Bake said:

You do also realise it's under his tenure that he's got us into the position we are now? Let's not paint him a hero for funding his self inflicted mess.

Oh yeah I know that but saying you are giving him your money is just wrong.

You want better players but you don't want to contribute towards them is the general jist that I get from your post?

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Oh yeah I know that but saying you are giving him your money is just wrong.

You want better players but you don't want to contribute towards them is the general jist that I get from your post?

The post is to determine at what point you personally decide enough is enough. Currently were being expected to pay top end championship season ticket prices for a squad that wouldn't compete for promotion in League one. There must be a point where you refuse to buy one? If we got relegated twice on the bounce and the prices were £600 maybe?

I don't believe for one second that anyone would continue to buy regardless of the circumstances...

Edited by Sheikh n Bake

5 minutes ago, Sheikh n Bake said:

The post is to determine at what point you personally decide enough is enough. Currently were being expected to pay top end championship season ticket prices for a squad that wouldn't compete for promotion in League one. There must be a point where you refuse to buy one? If we got relegated twice on the bounce and the prices were £600 maybe?

I don't believe for one second that anyone would continue to buy regardless of the circumstances...

Are we paying top end prices?

Ive paid mid 30s to early 40s for single away matchday tickets for a few years now.

My season ticket works out at just less than £22 a game.

20 minutes ago, Sheikh n Bake said:

Even if you were being charged £500?

This is part of my argument. If we're being charged championship prices this season but have barely a team that would compete in L1, are we being ripped off? 

Whatever the rate was, yeah. I wouldn't pay £5k, but if £1k was going rate for the division, I'd pay it

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thats approximately 30% more than I pay for my season ticket. 

Think my ticket has gone up possibly £150 in the 25 years we have been at Pride Park.

My guess is that concession and other none prime seating is also cheaper across all the other teams too...