Phillip Cocu

teddyb16

8 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Neither knew championship.

If we had employed a know championship type manager (Colin Warnock for example) instead of either of them I would expect us to be higher up the league than we are now.

For sure the forum would have been very polarised on it as the “same old names” candidates generally have lower appeal on here than the “something different, bit of a gamble” candidate.

We are where we are though, i am just hoping we can pick up enough quality in the bargain free transfer bin that it even makes a difference who the manager is. Way things are going at the moment the manager is barely relevant as even the best candidate we could think of can’t make a cake out of a pile of ?.

A decent manager would get more out of the squad we had…

12 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Neither knew championship.

If we had employed a know championship type manager (Colin Warnock for example) instead of either of them I would expect us to be higher up the league than we are now.

For sure the forum would have been very polarised on it as the “same old names” candidates generally have lower appeal on here than the “something different, bit of a gamble” candidate.

We are where we are though, i am just hoping we can pick up enough quality in the bargain free transfer bin that it even makes a difference who the manager is. Way things are going at the moment the manager is barely relevant as even the best candidate we could think of can’t make a cake out of a pile of ?.

True. Some fans didn't even want Rafa in charge! ? 

Too much poo had passed by the time he went to realistically think he'd have turned it around.

Once heads drop to a certain level under one manager, for any reason, there's very little chance of coming back from it without a new manager coming in, or a wholesale revitalisation of the playing squad

Edited by Coconut

3 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Too much poo had passed by the time he went to realistically think he'd have turned it around.

Once heads drop to a certain level under one manager, for any reason, there's very little chance of coming back from it without a new manager coming in, or a wholesale revitalisation of the playing squad

Yeah, quite apart from anything else, it was clear the squad didn't believe in him. And that's the end in almost every case.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

You're talking about Rooney there aren't you? ?

As for on the cusp of turning it round, thank goodness that will be another of the great unknowns to rank with Clough Jnr was taking us up when Mac took over. ?

I remember you putting all the blame on Cocu and saying we have a top ten squad that he couldn't get a tune out of. I disagreed and said it was a terrible squad - to which your reply was 'we will see when Cocu's gone'.

You'd still rather have Rooney and Rosenior chopping and changing the team over Cocu wouldn't you!

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

You're talking about Rooney there aren't you? ?

As for on the cusp of turning it round, thank goodness that will be another of the great unknowns to rank with Clough Jnr was taking us up when Mac took over. ?

Rooney is such a novice that he brought in was it five loan players? one more than can actually be in the first team squad. Genius.

Edited by BBG83

4 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

I was talking to Cocu in B n Q last night. He was in his joggers , he said  He would have got us in the play-offs if Mel had not have brought Wazza in to undermine him and he is not leaving Derby till he gets his £8 mill payoff. Then I woke up.

It was obviously a dream. If it was for real, he'd have been sussing out patio sets.

Say what you like about the fella, but he remains the last guy I shook hands with (Just as covid was about to get to stuck in, Feb/March 2020).

... In fact... we probably remain the last two guys to actually have shaken hands in the Bourton-on-the-Water model village!

Imagine that!   :-)

EDIT:

... Not that I like to brag about it, of course!  Probably never even mentioned it before, on here!  

Edited by Mucker1884
What? Are you blind? Work it out yersen!

21 minutes ago, BBG83 said:

I remember you putting all the blame on Cocu and saying we have a top ten squad that he couldn't get a tune out of. I disagreed and said it was a terrible squad - to which your reply was 'we will see when Cocu's gone'.

You'd still rather have Rooney and Rosenior chopping and changing the team over Cocu wouldn't you!

Yep. Cocu didn't get English football and certainly not the standard of players to be found at Championship level.

The squad we had when Cocu managed to get us to 10th, was that the same one he started last season with then? 

"I would never want to be a member of any club that'd have me as a member!"  Groucho Marx.

Seriously, who, in their right mind, would take over a club in a situation like the Rams just now?

OK, pay me £90k PW and I might consider managing the team!

I wouldn't buy the club though. Too many 'liabilities'!

20 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yep. Cocu didn't get English football and certainly not the standard of players to be found at Championship level.

The squad we had when Cocu managed to get us to 10th, was that the same one he started last season with then? 

Who has the better record as Manager Macca, win %, points per game? Just asking for a friend who is a bit confused about your contradictory posts.....

Given what happened after he went it is hard to think getting rid was the slam dunk correct decision that it should have been.

Maybe we’d have picked up when Bielik was fit, maybe he’d not have played Bielik for 15 odd games in a row, during a shortened season, on a cow field of a pitch after he was coming off a year long injury. No one really knows but doubt he’d have been much worse than what we got. 

Ultimately if we had never signed Rooney we’d have been able to replace Cocu with an actual manager rather than hiring someone just so we didn’t have to play them anymore. As well as Cocu not being hamstrung by having to pick him in the first place. 

Nice guy anyway. Was nice to have someone like that representing the club.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Say what you like about the fella, but he remains the last guy I shook hands with (Just as covid was about to get to stuck in, Feb/March 2020).

... In fact... we probably remain the last two guys to actually have shaken hands in the Bourton-on-the-Water model village!

Imagine that!  ?

EDIT:

... Not that I like to brag about it, of course!  Probably never even mentioned it before, on here!  

What a fabulous story. You shouldn't be so coy about these chance meetings. ?

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

No, you said at the time Cocu left that we had a top 10 squad and we’d all see that once he’d left.

Just now, BBG83 said:

No, you said at the time Cocu left that we had a top 10 squad and we’d all see that once he’d left.

Which did I say, we had a top 10 squad or we'd have one when Cocu left? ? I find that impossible to believe I said that when we had NO striker. No Martin.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Which did I say, we had a top 10 squad or we'd have one when Cocu left? ? I find that impossible to believe I said that when we had NO striker. No Martin.

You said the squad was good enough and should be in the top ten. It was all Cocu’s fault.