EFL Verdict

DCFC90

12 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Don’t you detect the feeling that we will restate the accounts in the way we and our auditors believe is compliant with accountancy standards, doesn’t necessarily mean it will comply the elf’s view of what is the correct methodology.  All these games are killing us though, we could win this war only to find it was just a battle

There’s a section in there suggesting that we could have gotten a completely independent opinion on the amortisation model (I.e. not from the clubs normal accountants or auditors etc), so I suspect we could go down that route. Get a different set of accountants to sign off on something similar to what we do already and submit that.

So just got to submit the accounts and we’re out of embargo, what are we waiting for we must have had them ready months ago. 

5 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

I presume we have been waiting for the verdict and the EFL not appealing 

No time like the present then 

43 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The punishment was a £100k fine and resubmission of accounts. They stated that it was within their power to deduct points retrospectively. But they haven't, why on earth would you appeal in case they changed their mind?!

I’m assuming any appeal would be in hope that the DC increased the punishment to a retrospective points deduction. 

In any event, I think my original point is still valid - appealing, whether that increased the penalty or not, wouldn’t change the penalty next season if we fail FFP.

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

I’m assuming any appeal would be in hope that the DC increased the punishment to a retrospective points deduction. 

In any event, I think my original point is still valid - appealing, whether that increased the penalty or not, wouldn’t change the penalty next season if we fail FFP.

What would be the point in us risking our punishment being increased?

Edited by RoyMac5

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

We’re not talking about us appealing. Someone posed the question “is the reason the EFL haven’t appealed is because they think we’ll get an increased penalty next season for failing FFP” (or words to that effect).

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don’t *think* there’s actually any risk in appealing (other than cost of lawyers etc) - it’s not like a red card where you can get an extra match for a frivolous appeal. The written reasons are very, very clear in why they think a points deduction isn’t appropriate in this case, and I doubt even the most stupid of appeals for us would change that. The reasons are also quite frank about there being no precedent for a fine in this kind of case, so it was almost a case of plucking a number out of the air, so that’s your angle of attack for an appeal. But I suspect it’s not worth it purely because it’s unlikely to succeed and would probably cost us more that we would save on a reduced fine.

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

We’re not talking about us appealing. Someone posed the question “is the reason the EFL haven’t appealed is because they think we’ll get an increased penalty next season for failing FFP” (or words to that effect).

They should have read the posts that state quite clearly why the LAP didn't find it appropriate to impose a retrospective (or otherwise) points deduction. I imagine the EFLs lawyers told them they'd be pissing in the wind!

2 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The reasons are also quite frank about there being no precedent for a fine in this kind of case, so it was almost a case of plucking a number out of the air, so that’s your angle of attack for an appeal. But I suspect it’s not worth it purely because it’s unlikely to succeed and would probably cost us more that we would save on a reduced fine.

Well it was quite clear that the LAP didn't know how much to impose as the fine, so why would we appeal when we could have told them what we thought was reasonable (when we'd been asked by them) but didn't. 

Anyway the bit about us appealing was down to crossed wires in the previous posts.

Edited by RoyMac5

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

They aren’t appealing because they can’t find a mistake in the ruling. You can’t just appeal for a laugh, you actually have to have a coherent argument as to why the original judgment was wrong. Whah-whah-whah-I-don’t-like-it unsurprisingly doesn’t count.

Seriously, everyone with an interest in this should read the written reasons. They aren’t *that* long and are fairly readable for a layman. The arguments they lay out for why they've given the punishment are very clear and logical to me.

2 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

They aren’t appealing because they can’t find a mistake in the ruling. You can’t just appeal for a laugh, you actually have to have a coherent argument as to why the original judgment was wrong. Whah-whah-whah-I-don’t-like-it unsurprisingly doesn’t count.

Seriously, everyone with an interest in this should read the written reasons. They aren’t *that* long and are fairly readable for a layman. The arguments they lay out for why they've given the punishment are very clear and logical to me.

That is exactly what I said. They’re not appealing because their lawyers are telling them not to and not because they think we might get a bigger punishment next season.