EFL Verdict

DCFC90

28 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

I suspect this is because if they got points deduction it wouldn’t be last season and I suspect they believe they have a stronger chance of a larger points deduction if the fail the FFP

How so? If we fail FFP with our revised accounts, we’ll get a points deduction anyway regardless of if they’d appealed. 

I think it is simply a case of, as their lawyers say, they do not have a strong enough case to appeal the punishment already handed out. Any penalty for a subsequent FFP failure penalty is totally separate. 

41 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

For them to use the word regrettably when their own legal counsel told them there are no grounds for appeal is ducking outrageous, unprofessional and proves they are out to get us based on some twits opinion rather than cold hard evidence.

bankers  

I wonder if it’s all just strong language in order to keep the likes of Wycombe quiet? A less subtle statement would have been “sorry Wycombe. We’d like to have seen Derby relegated but our lawyers are saying we won’t win the appeal”.

32 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

BBC Sport's Simon Stone

The EFL is deeply disappointed at how this has ended.

The feeling is the written reasons left them no realistic prospect of success with any appeal and therefore to proceed would have been counter-productive.

They do feel they have won an argument over the amortisation of players and will now press for a rule change to prevent any other club following the path Derby created.

As per the previous judgement, Derby now have to resubmit accounts by 18 August. The EFL will then assess them to see whether they meet their profit and sustainability rules.

However, any decision on that and subsequent case will have no effect on the start of the 2021-22 season. Derby will play in the Championship and Wycombe in League One.

............"and will now press for a rule change".

Doesn`t that statement, an admission of their oversight and incompetence  tell you all you need to know?

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I wonder if it’s all just strong language in order to keep the likes of Wycombe quiet? A less subtle statement would have been “sorry Wycombe. We’d like to have seen Derby relegated but our lawyers are saying we won’t win the appeal”.

You’re  right, that’s exactly what it is, however, a professional organisation should not look as if it’s on a mission to punish a member club, a bland statement saying following legal advice there are no grounds for an appeal would have sufficed.

12 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

How so? Care to qualify that statement?

https://www.efl.com/contentassets/873a8914e09740d3b3a8848131ea10b8/210630---efl-v-Derby-county---decision-on-sanction-final.pdf

There's a definite implication that we've been less than transparent in many statements, below are a selection. It appears the DC got a bit impatient with the "EFL is against us/Mel" argument in their responses to several statements too.

image.thumb.png.e1167d8df613524eda39981943add365.png

image.thumb.png.abf6b5b7b4b12fd644a15ded57532a6e.png

image.thumb.png.7d671e4228fc5eb0faa2bfe98224c8ad.png

47 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

I suspect this is because if they got points deduction it wouldn’t be last season and I suspect they believe they have a stronger chance of a larger points deduction if the fail the FFP

Nope. It's because their lawyers told them they had no appeal grounds: "...following consultation with our legal advisors, the EFL Board has regrettably determined that there are insufficient grounds to appeal the sanction imposed by the Independent Disciplinary Commission."

14 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Thanks quite a different spin but whilst we remain in embargo we are the losers.

Think some of us have been arguing that point for over a year now, midst all the doom mongering. When our accounts show us comfortably within the regs, will you still be taking the view there was a meaningful case to answer?

Has the end justified the means or are you still expecting further sanctions, as has been your stance throughout?

8 minutes ago, TaahnRam said:

Mel's got a new masterplan to avoid breaching FFP calcs?

image.thumb.png.e342fd0dd6be2e7c290bb8042a9ef843.png

There’s also a section in there stating that we have 2 possible amortisation models under consideration, a straight line one, and a non-straight one that we believe is FRS102 compliant. So expect everything to kick off again if we go with option 2 for the restated accounts…

18 minutes ago, TaahnRam said:

https://www.efl.com/contentassets/873a8914e09740d3b3a8848131ea10b8/210630---efl-v-Derby-county---decision-on-sanction-final.pdf

There's a definite implication that we've been less than transparent in many statements, below are a selection. It appears the DC got a bit impatient with the "EFL is against us/Mel" argument in their responses to several statements too.

image.thumb.png.e1167d8df613524eda39981943add365.png

image.thumb.png.abf6b5b7b4b12fd644a15ded57532a6e.png

image.thumb.png.7d671e4228fc5eb0faa2bfe98224c8ad.png

So we’re still under an soft embargo u til we prove we’re compliant 

3 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

There’s also a section in there stating that we have 2 possible amortisation models under consideration, a straight line one, and a non-straight one that we believe is FRS102 compliant. So expect everything to kick off again if we go with option 2 for the restated accounts…

Just when we're in danger of coming out of the other side!

6 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

As long as we clarify the method, get approval and it's HMRC compliant... Why not? 

35 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

How so? If we fail FFP with our revised accounts, we’ll get a points deduction anyway regardless of if they’d appealed. 

I think it is simply a case of, as their lawyers say, they do not have a strong enough case to appeal the punishment already handed out. Any penalty for a subsequent FFP failure penalty is totally separate. 

Timing is key points deducted at LAP2 or DC2 would have relegated us.  If we breach it goes to DC3 and points are likely 21/22

1 minute ago, EraniosSocks said:

Regarding the Registration Embargo part? I can’t genuinely understand if we are still in that or…

Any help? 

Seems so to me until at least when the accounts are resubmitted but whether that's lifted immediately (possibly temporarily depending on the bottom line) or only after we've been proved to be compliant I don't know

Just reading the DC report now and they are clear that they could (if necessary) have made a points deduction that would have been for 20/21 season! Not got to the bit where they say why they didn't yet, but makes me wonder what it is if the EFL have decided not to appeal the punishment...

"40) Thus we conclude:

1) That it is open to us to impose a deduction of points on the Club as a sanction for the proven breaches if that is the sanction/one of the sanctions that we consider to be necessary and proportionate in order to achieve the sanctioning aims

(2) That it is open to us to impose such a points deduction to take effect in the 2020/2021 season if we consider that a deduction of points in that season is necessary and proportionate in order to achieve the sanctioning aims

(3) That save in rare cases where the circumstances require otherwise, no account should generally be taken of the fact that a points deduction effective in the 2020/2021 season would (if that deduction was to be 2 points or more) have the effect of relegating the Club."