Clarkson’s Farm

David

On Amazon Prime.

I thought it was bloody brilliant. 

Jeremy Clarkson is marmite TV, I love him, but even those that hate him might enjoy this one. 

Shows a more softer side to him and it’s less scripted than Top Gear/Grand Tour.

Basically without spoilers, back in 2008 Clarkson bought a lot of farm land, the guy he had farming it retired, so Jeremy thought…I’ll give this a go.

Zero experience of farming, you follow him as he learns on the go with a little help from some locals.

It’s actually a real eye opener into the world of farming and it’s future. 

Only 8 episodes, 45 mins each. Actually watched it twice now, once by myself and recommended it to the missus who I watched it again with. 

Give it a go.

10/10

Gave this a quick review in the watchable telly thread last week or whenever it was, its best thing I've watched in a long, long time and the only thing I've ever binge watched - watched all 8 episodes one day when I should have been working ?

Pretty much unanimously getting 5* reviews on Amazon Prime.  The Guardian gave it 1* mostly likely cos they saw who it was and didn't watch a second.  

Definitely worth a watch whatever your opinions of Clarkson are.  Gonna watch it again myself!

Edited by maxjam

12 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I have to believe some of it is staged for camera, whether it is or it isn't its so, so funny.

3m30s onwards had me in stiches!

Yeah there’s a few bits but nowhere near the same amount as Top Gear used to do.

That harvesting scene was hilarious ?

I was going to go into the Watchable Telly thread to comment on this.

I like Clarkson as a presenter, and because of him I thought this was quite good (although tbf I am only half way through the 3rd episode), but I'd not go any further.

However, I'd wager that pretty much everything about it is heavily scripted and thought through this side of the weather.

He's way too smart not to have done that.

Although he wasn't smart enough to realise saying sheeps over and over wasn't especially funny

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

?Pretty much unanimously getting 5* reviews on Amazon Prime.  The Guardian gave it 1* mostly likely cos they saw who it was and didn't watch a second.  

Definitely worth a watch whatever your opinions of Clarkson are.  Gonna watch it again myself!

Interesting, may watch it ....I read the Guardian review which absolutely slated it, but then I saw it was written by Lucy Mangan. 

She is the only reviewer I take notice of...because she is always completely wrong. 

I first noticed, when I took her at her word when she went on and on and on about how great White Lines was, when that series was just truly awful, pitiful.

Since then I always look out for her because she is completely clueless. 

Edited by Chester40

1 minute ago, Chester40 said:

Interesting, may watch it ....I read the Guardian review which absolutely slated it, but then I saw it was written by Lucy Mangan. 

She is the only reviewer I take notice of...because she is always completely wrong. 

I first noticed, when I took her at her word when she went on and on and on about how great White Lines was That series was just truly awful.

Since then I always look out for her because she is completely clueless. 

To be fair as well as a 1* review, they also wrote this;

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jun/05/jeremy-clarksons-farm-amazon-prime-video

Clarksons Farm was trending on twitter a couple of days ago - again with almost universal praise, which considering what twitter thinks of him was refreshing!

I'd say watch 10 mins for yourself and make your own mind up.  I'd watched 3 episodes back to back before I realised my dogs had got bored waiting for their walk (about 3hrs overdue at this point!) and had starting digging a big hole in the lawn...

2 minutes ago, David said:

Impressive numbers on IMDb

AFF0D3AE-1EA5-4669-8DA0-58F6EB541FD9.jpeg

Just checked Amazon Prime;

2523 reviews

98% 5*

2% 1* lol

I saw 1% 4* reviews the other day, dunno where they have disappeared to but by and large it has been well received by most people that have actually watched it.  Just gotta hope they do a season 2 now!

7 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Just checked Amazon Prime;

2523 reviews

98% 5*

2% 1* lol

I saw 1% 4* reviews the other day, dunno where they have disappeared to but by and large it has been well received by most people that have actually watched it.  Just gotta hope they do a season 2 now!

Would season 2 be as good now he has a basic grasp of farming and the weather has been better?

Saying that it would good to see a wilding project update and there is more development work need doing with storage areas.

Maybe would venture into more animals, pigs, cows. 

That Amazon money would help as well I guess. 

I was actually only half way through the 2nd not the 3rd episode.

I do like it.

It's one of those kind of programmes that it's enjoyable without necessarily having me rushing to sit down to watch it.

It's amusing without being hilarious.

Poignant without being tear-jerking.

And interesting (especially as I spent well over a decade selling the kind of machinery he was buying and know the industry well) without being jaw-dropping.

And I'd not be heartbroken if I missed an episode like I would be with something outrageously funny (to me any) like This Time with Alan Partridge.

I think my resistance is the insane score it gets on iMDB.

It's literally 3rd in an all-time list of TV series behind only Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones.

Newer popular series always get higher marks to begin with and I imagine all his rabid fans rushed to give it 10 out of 10 (not sure I have given anything 10/10 on IMDb other than Gomorrah and Chernobyl off the top of my head) and that will even out.

So yeh, I'd recommend it for sure, but I'd do so by saying 'yeh, it's pretty good, worth checking out'

And holy ducking duckity duck, I couldn't believe the guy was still shy of his 60th birthday when they were filming this. I presumed he was in his late 60s.

On 23/06/2021 at 13:27, David said:

On Amazon Prime.

I thought it was bloody brilliant. 

Jeremy Clarkson is marmite TV, I love him, but even those that hate him might enjoy this one. 

Shows a more softer side to him and it’s less scripted than Top Gear/Grand Tour.

Basically without spoilers, back in 2008 Clarkson bought a lot of farm land, the guy he had farming it retired, so Jeremy thought…I’ll give this a go.

Zero experience of farming, you follow him as he learns on the go with a little help from some locals.

It’s actually a real eye opener into the world of farming and it’s future. 

Only 8 episodes, 45 mins each. Actually watched it twice now, once by myself and recommended it to the missus who I watched it again with. 

Give it a go.

10/10

Thought I'd watch an episode last night and ended up binging the entire series.

Probably one of the most entertaining shows I've seen in a long time.

2 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Watched the first one... meh. It's decent easy-watching material but 10/10's? Not having it.

Couple of good Clarksonisms but mostly seemed to be an advert for how wealthy and how stupid he is, when only one of those is true.

Continue with it, the more you get into it the better it is.