Have we progressed at all under Rooney?

Jimbo Ram

35 minutes ago, David said:

Context. 

First managerial job, came in when we were bottom of the table, whilst a takeover was on the cards, loan signings picked up injuries which left us with a super thin squad.

You can question his tactics, subs, and all that, but was dealt a difficult hand so the question have we progressed under him is incredibly unfair at the minute.

He did keep us up, forget the points deduction for Wednesday, the Cardiff goal, he kept us up and that’s that task complete.

Progression has to be judged starting this season where he’s had a summer to build the squad, albeit in difficult circumstances still, but level on points with the rest of the league. 

As fans I do feel like we need to get off his back, get behind him and hope we have a much better season.

Absolutely nothing to be gained from laying into the guy, booing from the first game of the season. Just be fair, even if you don’t agree with the appointment, give him a chance.

35 games isn't a chance? The guy's won one in the last 16 matches it's ridiculous he's still in the post and if it was anyone else people would be screaming for him to go. 

Trying to depersonalise this I've got nothing against Rooney as a person or individual.

The bare facts for me is that if Morris wasn't still embroiled in trying to sell the club then Rooney would have been sacked last season when it became apparent that he couldn't address the downward trajectory of results.

So read into that what you will. 

7 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

35 games isn't a chance? The guy's won one in the last 16 matches it's ridiculous he's still in the post and if it was anyone else people would be screaming for him to go. 

How many of those games has he had his own team?

We had a squad thinner than my hair, that’s not a chance.

We also don’t have the money just to get rid and the replacement suggestions are more ridiculous.

If Rooney left tomorrow we would see calls for Wilder and that, just not going to happen.

Last season is last season, it is history. I don’t care about last season and it’s trials and tribulations. 

I know it is the close season, but some of the whiners and whingers on here make visiting this forum a real chore. 

A new season is dawning, the manager will sign seven players and take us to the top three by Pancake Tuesday. 

Have a nice cup of tea and a biscuit and relax. 
c’mon County. ? x

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

Why if it was anyone else?

I have absolutely no affinity to Wayne Rooney, liked him as an England player but beyond that thought he was a bit of a knob.

Some people just realise he wasnt dealt a good hand for his first season in management and that he actually did what he was tasked with doing.

If things are still as bad 10 matches into this season I will be wanting him gone just the same as I was with Cocu.

3 hours ago, David said:

We also don’t have the money just to get rid and the replacement suggestions are more ridiculous.

If Rooney left tomorrow we would see calls for Wilder and that, just not going to happen.

I think we all know we are stuck with Rooney for the moment,for the reasons given, but after his record last season he was never going to be immune from criticism...the rest of the club's troubles are just going to amplify it.

Having said that,he's not going to get booed by anyone at the start of the season...everyone wants the club to do well and it's up to Rooney to step up to the plate and earn the respect he needs as a manager.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

6 hours ago, David said:

He brought in players from january and had a stronger squad than cocu had at the beginning of the season but had a worse record towards the back end of the season than when we first began. If that was grounds to get rid of cocu then why not Rooney? It seems like posters move back and forth between the squad is strong on paper or we've got no options. 

I did mention we are currently tied to the ex player because we don't have the money- but assuming we do get a takeover he needs to be removed from his post asap. 

what is ridiculous about Ian Evatt taking over? You're just selecting an outlandish proposal and suggesting that all the potential replacements are ridiculous, that's not even specious logic it's just obviously wrong. 

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why if it was anyone else?

I have absolutely no affinity to Wayne Rooney, liked him as an England player but beyond that thought he was a bit of a knob.

Some people just realise he wasnt dealt a good hand for his first season in management and that he actually did what he was tasked with doing.

If things are still as bad 10 matches into this season I will be wanting him gone just the same as I was with Cocu.

I was making the argument I think Rooney gets a bigger benefit of the doubt than other previous managers because of his playing record. I'm wondering when was the last time a manager got 1 win in 16 and survived at this club? 

7 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

what is ridiculous about Ian Evatt taking over? You're just selecting an outlandish proposal and suggesting that all the potential replacements are ridiculous, that's not even specious logic it's just obviously wrong. 

An outlandish proposal which was suggested with a topic of it’s own on this very forum.

Wasn’t long ago that fans were calling for us to appoint Rafa Benitez.

You’re being very naive if you think that the fan base will be looking to a manager that has only got Barrow and Bolton on his CV.

Saying all that, if we’re going to cycle through managers every 30 games, at some point we will have to look further down for appointments. 

Apparently Mel is the mad trigger happy one…

30 odd games, good grief. Not even a full season ?

2 hours ago, David said:

An outlandish proposal which was suggested with a topic of it’s own on this very forum.

You’re being very naive if you think that the fan base will be looking to a manager that has only got Barrow and Bolton on his CV.

Saying all that, if we’re going to cycle through managers every 30 games, at some point we will have to look further down for appointments. 

Barrow and Bolton is more than Wazza has on his CV.....and Evatt's record is a tad better.....just a tad.......well, actually a big, massive tad if we are honest about it.....

There was no Wazza bounce. It was the Bielik factor.

Remove Bielik from Rooney's time in charge and we would be certainly playing league 1 football next season. 

No doubt Cocu wasn't great, but we certainly didn't progress under Rooney, we've just gone backwards and have been saved relegation by one man.

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Barrow and Bolton is more than Wazza has on his CV.....and Evatt's record is a tad better.....just a tad.......well, actually a big, massive tad if we are honest about it.....

Wayne Rooney has keeping Derby up in the Championship, which would have been the job brief. 

53 minutes ago, DerbyRam! said:

Remove Bielik from Rooney's time in charge and we would be certainly playing league 1 football next season. 

No doubt Cocu wasn't great, but we certainly didn't progress under Rooney, we've just gone backwards and have been saved relegation by one man.

Take key players out of a lot of teams and they wouldn’t finish where they do.

Where would Spurs finish without Kane?

We also were bottom of the table when he took over, so technically we have gone forwards. ??‍♂️

1 hour ago, DerbyRam! said:

Don’t think we have gone backwards. Arguably either stayed the same or small forward step.

5 hours ago, David said:

I'm not debating that it's not been suggested by some on this forum but that's not the same as saying all the replacement suggestions are ridiculous... as that's just clearly not the case david. Using the argument that some suggestions have been pie in the sky (surprise surprise it's a football forum...) therefore Derby cannot get a replacement for a manager who has 1 win in 16 in doesn't make sense. 

we've been happy to accept 3 managers in recent history with 0 managerial experience (Clement, Lampard and Rooney) so why not someone who has 2 promotions on his CV and is a well liked ex player at the club? 

I don't think Mel has made good managerial decisions no and at times he's ousted managers too soon. However, there are exceptions to the rule that managers deserve a long time to turn something around. Has there ever been a manager who's garnered 7 points from 45 available and you've thought they should be given more time? I think 35 games (3/4 of a season) is a short tenure but if someone is doing a shocking job then they don't deserve to have a long one. 

5 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I'm not debating that it's not been suggested by some on this forum but that's not the same as saying all the replacement suggestions are ridiculous... as that's just clearly not the case david. Using the argument that some suggestions have been pie in the sky (surprise surprise it's a football forum...) therefore Derby cannot get a replacement for a manager who has 1 win in 16 in doesn't make sense. 

we've been happy to accept 3 managers in recent history with 0 managerial experience (Clement, Lampard and Rooney) so why not someone who has 2 promotions on his CV and is a well liked ex player at the club? 

I don't think Mel has made good managerial decisions no and at times he's ousted managers too soon. However, there are exceptions to the rule that managers deserve a long time to turn something around. Has there ever been a manager who's garnered 7 points from 45 available and you've thought they should be given more time? I think 35 games (3/4 of a season) is a short tenure but if someone is doing a shocking job then they don't deserve to have a long one. 

Go on then, draw me up a shortlist of managers you would like to see us interview, top 5…