Have we progressed at all under Rooney?

Jimbo Ram

33 minutes ago, jcidaho said:

He needs to freshen up the coaching team, primarily with an enforcer like Frank had Jody. We've got too many philosophers and not enough leaders.

You don't think that Rooney is capable of tearing into a player?

Regards philosophers, which one came up with the idea: "kick it high, kick it long - let's match Rotherham"?

Most concerning for me is the mentality of the squad, there was so little fight and backbone to the performances, conceeding late goals, no bravery on the ball to try and make anything happen going forward. 

For all Lampards tactical flaws, he managed to create the best team spirit Ive seen at the club in ages. Rooney seems to have sapped any energy and fight from the players. I cant think of any player that really improved this season as a footballer. 

5 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Just had a little look at the statistics, the facts on the pitch since Rooney became Manager. Without dwelling on it they do not make great reading. His win % is 27.8, we have lost exactly half the games he has been manager and he averages 1.05 points per game. This is worse than Cocu's record of 32.31 win % and 1.25 points per game. So let's put to bed once and for all comments that Rooney has done better than Cocu. But the question I am asking is has anything actually improved since he took over? Has he developed his own style of play? Are we playing more attractive football? Are we more solid at the back? Are we more of a threat going forward? Has he worked well and helped to develop the youngsters? Did he make some decent signings? So despite the actual stats showing things have got worse on the pitch under Wazza, have there been any positive developments? Thoughts????

Its death by a thousand cuts on here these day. 

7 minutes ago, TheAllestreeRam said:

Most concerning for me is the mentality of the squad, there was so little fight and backbone to the performances, conceeding late goals, no bravery on the ball to try and make anything happen going forward. 

For all Lampards tactical flaws, he managed to create the best team spirit Ive seen at the club in ages. Rooney seems to have sapped any energy and fight from the players. I cant think of any player that really improved this season as a footballer. 

It’s amazing how much wonderful spirit that can be achieved by bringing in 5 or 6 new signings into the team, and augmenting that with 3 likeable and highly talented young players with a lot to prove to their premier league owners. Not having to throw youngsters in too early is also really useful, and then add in the positivity of being paid your wages on time by good old Mel.  Rooney would hate all that. It would just make his job all too easy.

50 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

We progressed from 24th to 21st and that’s all that matters for last season I guess. If there’s no progression after a “pre season” and 15-20 games then a decision will have to be made.

We 'progressed' from getting 6 points from 11 games at the start of the season to getting 7 points from 15 games at the end.

We finished the season with a stronger squad in attack & midfield than the one we started with, but without new contracts being signed and new players being brought in, as things stand, we're weaker all over the pitch than at any point last season.

It doesn't really bode well.

Edited by Coconut

20 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes, we were in the relegation places when he took over and we didnt get relegated.

...but only because we improved for a short spell in the middle, which just about sustained us through an awful end of the season during which we'd reverted back to our previous state of hopelessness, or worse.

If we continue on the same path we've been on things won't improve, they'll get worse - that isn't progression.

It's clear that we haven't progressed  under his management and I'd be very surprised if we survive under him. His lack of recognition that he's in over his head and giving advice to trainees at st.georges park on how to keep teams up when he'd got us 7 points from the last 45 is bewildering to me. The team lacks any identity in playing style as demonstrated from the farce of last season and I'd be surprised if one could be implemented quickly given the apparent lack of any consistent features of style from last year. The academy players were often an inconsistent feature of the team and when they did play were on the whole unimpressive. 

As a club we're just a complete joke- unable to sack a failing novice with a squad made up of academy players and injury prone and over the hill professionals that needs substantial additions which we can't buy because we're under embargo and awaiting a takeover. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

Context. 

First managerial job, came in when we were bottom of the table, whilst a takeover was on the cards, loan signings picked up injuries which left us with a super thin squad.

You can question his tactics, subs, and all that, but was dealt a difficult hand so the question have we progressed under him is incredibly unfair at the minute.

He did keep us up, forget the points deduction for Wednesday, the Cardiff goal, he kept us up and that’s that task complete.

Progression has to be judged starting this season where he’s had a summer to build the squad, albeit in difficult circumstances still, but level on points with the rest of the league. 

As fans I do feel like we need to get off his back, get behind him and hope we have a much better season.

Absolutely nothing to be gained from laying into the guy, booing from the first game of the season. Just be fair, even if you don’t agree with the appointment, give him a chance.

At the minute we are being robbed of the chance to even give Rooney a fighting chance thanks to the EFL continuing to string this process out for as long as possible.

I cannot fathom why this is still going on. The only reasons I can come up with is that that they are either totally incompetent or they are doing it on purpose, perhaps both.

4 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

We clearly regressed after a very brief new manager bounce and my biggest concern was the way our star academy players Sibley and knight looked absolute pale shadows of themselves under Rooney.

Also worrying was the fact that Rooney managed to antagonise and demotivate players like Waggers who is basically a big enthusiastic kid who just wants to play football.

I fear Rooney actually has little desire to learn and already believes he knows best when evidently he really does not.

So,no I have seen zero progression in any area and regression in most.

What makes it worse is that Wayne appears too be stubborn and self confident to see it himself. 

Spot on Kash. I would add , Wazza seems to think he is the new “Special One” after the miracle of keeping us up.He would probably say that his stats are a big improvement on the “Team of 4” that he took over from.

21 minutes ago, David said:

Context. 

First managerial job, came in when we were bottom of the table, whilst a takeover was on the cards, loan signings picked up injuries which left us with a super thin squad.

You can question his tactics, subs, and all that, but was dealt a difficult hand so the question have we progressed under him is incredibly unfair at the minute.

He did keep us up, forget the points deduction for Wednesday, the Cardiff goal, he kept us up and that’s that task complete.

Progression has to be judged starting this season where he’s had a summer to build the squad, albeit in difficult circumstances still, but level on points with the rest of the league. 

As fans I do feel like we need to get off his back, get behind him and hope we have a much better season.

Absolutely nothing to be gained from laying into the guy, booing from the first game of the season. Just be fair, even if you don’t agree with the appointment, give him a chance.

I can't forget the Cardiff game.  Taking out 7 or 8 players in anticipation of the Coventry game tells me he knows little about this division as you don't get a massive swing in ease with any game.  He also pretty much dismantled the bit of continuity we had as we should have lost that match by 7 goals and it went downhill from there.  

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I can't forget the Cardiff game.  Taking out 7 or 8 players in anticipation of the Coventry game tells me he knows little about this division as you don't get a massive swing in ease with any game.  He also pretty much dismantled the bit of continuity we had as we should have lost that match by 7 goals and it went downhill from there.  

Meant the Cardiff goal, last game of the season