Loudest things you’ve heard.

i-Ram

When I was a lad... *starts to feel like Grampa Simpson*

I used to live across the road from Linton Primary School, after school finished a load of us used to go back, climb over the fence and play football on the fields, one of which was on the side of a smallish hill, but the highest point for a fair old distance. 

Back in those days, fighter jets used to fly over really, really low, really, really fast - they had flown past before heard them!  Several times, we were messing around on the top of this small hill and these planes screamed 100ft over the top of us frightening us half to death. 

Nothing has come close to that noise.

Back in September '79, when they blew up "The 7 Arches" (Breadsall Viaduct, pretty much where The Paddock pub now stands) the whole ground shook around the houses that looked on.  Everyone had smashed windows apart from us... Dad had the sense to open windows, allowing a "rattle" as a shock absorber.

The bang was so loud, it almost woke mum up... and it was her funeral the following day!   ??

43 Nascars starting a race at Texas Motor speedway. Because there are overhead boxes in the stand, the noise just funnels up to the top where we were seated. Watching a rocket takeoff at Cape Canaveral in 2015 was a more bassy noise that shook the insides of your body.

Motorhead - Derby assembly rooms 1983. First ever gig. Deaf for three days. 

My Bloody Valentine - Sheffield Arena 1992ish

Mogwai - Birmingham Institute 1999ish

The Jesus and Mary Chain - Birmingham Institute 1996ish

So based on that list, bands are not as loud as before or 38 years of gig going has knackered my hearing. 

1977, when Derby became a city, a Vulcan bomber came over the centre (I'm guessing it uses RR engines) and did a vertical climb (something that all planes can now only do over the sea, for safety reasons). Maybe not the loudest thing I have ever heard but it was pretty darned floor rattling.

Stuck me ‘ead in a bass bin at an Edgar Broughton Band concert at the Kings Hall when I was about 16 ? Seemed a good idea at the time.

Deep Purple at Coventry Theatre were loud as flip but standing underneath Concorde as it took off near terminal 4 probably tops the lot.

And I wonder why I’ve got permanent tinnitus. ?

46 minutes ago, secretsquirrel said:

AC/DC at the Assembly rooms only concert i have had to leave cos it was painful on the ear.

I've seen them twice in '84 and '09. Both were outside venues so not as loud as indoor although sound was excellent. Loudest indoor was Heaven and Hell (Black Sabbath) and answers o/p question.

Edited by TimRam

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

Maybe not the loudest thing I have ever heard 

Phew, thank god the OP wasn't asking for the loudest thing you've ever heard.

The missus once banged the car door very hard whilst in a strop.

It was the second loudest thing I heard that day.

Can't remember the first tbh.

It'll probably come to me though.