RamsTV Subscription increased by EFL

SparxTheRam

7 hours ago, California Ram. said:

As well as the piracy worries, the EFL are clearly concerned about the difficulties in selling the matches outside the UK and the resultant drop in income - it's not really 'must have' for any pay operator (even though the championship is packaged with league cup games in any sale), and the club streaming is a good excuse for the international broadcasters to try to pay less.  

I'd have thought that increasing the price was more likely to increase fans looking for 'illegal streams'. The worst thing is they can't even guarantee which matches will be available. So you don't know what value you'll get!

Why not do a subscription price linked to the number of matches watched? 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'd have thought that increasing the price was more likely to increase fans looking for 'illegal streams'. The worst thing is they can't even guarantee which matches will be available. So you don't know what value you'll get!

Id live with 

subscription price linked to the number of matches available to watch

26 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Id live with 

subscription price linked to the number of matches available to watch

They should be able to agree that as a deal with Sky/other broadcasters? I presume they sell the games to broadcasters and get more money from them than they get from the clubs selling their own packages? 

I'm not sure about that paragraph because I'm not sure how the screening of club matches is organised and sold.

11 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Where do you live? At least if £25 is too much money to watch Derby, you can console yourself with about 50 pints of beer instead! We might be able to get one round in for that much!

Czech Republic.

Like the other poster, while I can pay the £25 without much issue, it could certainly go to more enjoyable things.

It's a common misconception that it's incredibly cheap here. Yes I can go to the pub and get the local beer for around £1.20(500ml, no pints and its poor quality lager ?). But even things like groceries are actually the same price if not more expensive than in England! 

I actually did a bit of looking and through experience I am certain I can actually live cheaper in the UK - buy smart and we have so many reduced items/discounts it's unreal. Here the discounts and such just simply don't exist! I do laugh in the supermarket, a common reduction is 2-5czk which is about 10p!!(reduction not total price!). Back to the beer, I know I can go to Morrisons with a huge selection of IPAs and Ale's for £1 a pop etc.

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

They should be able to agree that as a deal with Sky/other broadcasters? I presume they sell the games to broadcasters and get more money from them than they get from the clubs selling their own packages? 

I'm not sure about that paragraph because I'm not sure how the screening of club matches is organised and sold.

roughly, the European and maybe worldwide rights to all Championship games are sold to providers in other countries. but it doesn't mean they will show them.  So in Spain I can't recall DCFC ever being shown by the local rights holder but because they have the option we are blacked out.  Crazy really.

Re my comments, I am not being that serious, don't know how they could build a subscription based on what you watch, that's more of a PPV.

3 minutes ago, Spanish said:

roughly, the European and maybe worldwide rights to all Championship games are sold to providers in other countries. but it doesn't mean they will show them.  So in Spain I can't recall DCFC ever being shown by the local rights holder but because they have the option we are blacked out.  Crazy really.

Re my comments, I am not being that serious, don't know how they could build a subscription based on what you watch, that's more of a PPV.

So I presume that model gives them guaranteed income, what do the EFL care about whether the match is screened! Not a way to widen a clubs audience nor maximise its profit. 

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So I presume that model gives them guaranteed income, what do the EFL care about whether the match is screened! Not a way to widen a clubs audience nor maximise its profit. 

can't believe it is much money really?

It is a short sighted to sell the rights and then get no coverage

27 minutes ago, tinman said:

Had a look around other clubs and while it’s hard to find any similar news it looks like international Ifollow subscribers are being charged £140 for the season. 

that's how we started, £110 pa now it is £300 pa!

30 minutes ago, tinman said:

Had a look around other clubs and while it’s hard to find any similar news it looks like international Ifollow subscribers are being charged £140 for the season. 

If that’s correct then it does call into question, in my mind, if the price rise really is EFL driven. Why would they force a rise in RamsTV but not Ifollow?

7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

If that’s correct then it does call into question, in my mind, if the price rise really is EFL driven. Why would they force a rise in RamsTV but not Ifollow?

to force clubs onto ifollow so the efl get the revenue that DCFC generate themselves

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Does anyone remember when record companies wanted to charge £16 for a cd and Napster was a thing? Or "home taping is killing music"

Didn't end up working out for the old model of the record companies.

This is expensive. US sports you can normally pay for the whole season online for $150 or whatever. I think for baseball and basketball it works out about $1/2 a game. 

When you're battling against dodgy Iptv providers it doesn't seem a good move?

Its like the UK PPV games.. I already subscribe to sky sports so there's no chance I'm paying £12 when I already get an albeit crappy 1 camera game on red button.

Problem with comparing it to other services like ESPN is you’re paying for a random mix of games, where as you’re paying for RamsTV which is dedicated to Derby games.

That said it’s poor from the EFL to dictate the pricing clubs can charge for their streaming platforms as they are doing.

Why can’t Derby charge what they like, be it a tenner or £50?

They don’t control ticket prices, so why put a price on what clubs can charge for streaming just because they feel they can offer a better service than ifollow, makes no sense.

But then little the EFL do make sense.

Glad the club have made it clear this 100% increase is on the EFL.

£25 isn’t “bad” value though IF there isn’t any restrictions on games that can be streamed, and isn’t just an increase for EFL being the EFL sake.

On 21/06/2021 at 17:07, Owen87ITK said:

The EFL ??‍♂️??‍♂️?

As easy as it is to wade into attacking the EFL, are they actually doing anything too bad here?

Isnt one of MMs gripes with them that they are not getting a good deal for their members?

If so, Id say charging £12-50 a month to watch matches (which cost fans over here £40-00) is underselling the product.

Is £12-50 a month really going to have people turning off? Its the equivalent of putting £3 on a match ticket which people would probably not even notice.

If the money is going to the club too I don't see what all the fuss is about?

cancelled  , quiet months anyway was happy to let it ride now feel taken advantage of,  not worth the money compared to products offered by  BT SKY... EFL playing fans commitment to their clubs not the actual product (which is largely rubbish to non fans of clubs, poor replays/commentary/no aftermatch interviews, no pre match interviews,... all feels like a third rate product), why not charge 50 do they think 25 is a sweat spot     

34 minutes ago, mossjram said:

cancelled  , quiet months anyway was happy to let it ride now feel taken advantage of,  not worth the money compared to products offered by  BT SKY... EFL playing fans commitment to their clubs not the actual product (which is largely rubbish to non fans of clubs, poor replays/commentary/no aftermatch interviews, no pre match interviews,... all feels like a third rate product), why not charge 50 do they think 25 is a sweat spot     

18D24658-90D7-444D-A1C6-506088295539.jpeg

I got an interesting response from the club when I cancelled:

'Unfortunately, this price increase has come from the EFL and not a decision made by DCFC.

I completely understand and share your frustration on this matter'

In my view, this is not the EFL acting in the interests of clubs, this is an anti-competitive price gauging matter to force clubs to use i-follow. Joke. Wouldn't be surprised if we see legal action. 

6 minutes ago, San Fran Van Rams said:

I got an interesting response from the club when I cancelled:

'Unfortunately, this price increase has come from the EFL and not a decision made by DCFC.

I completely understand and share your frustration on this matter'

In my view, this is not the EFL acting in the interests of clubs, this is an anti-competitive price gauging matter to force clubs to use i-follow. Joke. Wouldn't be surprised if we see legal action. 

They are trying to increase club revenues by bringing a service up to a reasonable price, why are they not acting in the best interests of the clubs?

They are not acting in the best interest of the fans, granted. 

On 21/06/2021 at 06:26, DCFC1388 said:

If you get to watch every game for that price I don't think £25 is that much? Season is played over 10 months (August to May), so £250 total spend (not sure if you have to pay a full £25 in May with it normally being 1 game) which means is £5.44 a game. 

Are cup games included?

Subtract all the Sky games and you are well short of value at 25.00. I will not be paying that amount.