When do we start to panic?

Malty

22 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

I’m predicting that things will start to fall into place this week, with the EFL burying our fine in the press, the day after England reach the last 16. The takeover will be announced along with major transfer activity....then again..............

So essentiall what you're saying is.... 48 hrs.

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Don’t think Rooney is in a strong position. The football community thinks that so far he’ s struggling as a manager - so where is he going to walk to ? And I don’t think punditry is likely to be his thing

But if he does turn it around next season, he’ll be feeling good about Derby, and many of the fans who are now against him will give him a second go. So I’m not sure he’ll be out the door at the first opportunity 

all quite dependent on the long awaited new owners of course and their relationship with him. 

I agree he isn't in a strong position but that brand will get even more sour if we start next season with no money/key players sold, as his limited management skills are likely to be shown up even further. He won't want to risk that & as I put in my first post, he has some influential friends in the media to 'mould the narrative' if he does walk

If the takeover does go through with funds to spend, Rooney will realise this is an ideal opportunity to continue the world's longest induction period. He knows he's difficult to sack because of his cost so enforced patience + funds is about a good as gig as it's possible to get at this level.

You are of course correct about fans changing minds if he does turn it around - not unreasonable to be fair even if he'll be off at the first sniff of a better job elsewhere.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

6 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

He won't want to risk that & as I put in my first post, he has some influential friends in the media to 'mould the narrative' if he does walk

Love it 'mould the narrative' ? He doesn't need to make anything up. Half of them will have been the ones asking him how the take-over was going. The other half will have been the one's wondering what happened to the takeover and the promises that were made.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Love it 'mould the narrative' ? He doesn't need to make anything up. Half of them will have been the ones asking him how the take-over was going. The other half will have been the one's wondering what happened to the takeover and the promises that were made.

It does make me smile seeing how personally you take any criticism of Rooney. Easier bites than winding up Leeds fans

Not sure if you understand how successful football management works but 1 win in 15 games & only saved from relegation by Marlon Pack's late equaliser is going to take a bit of PR spin

You can write him a character reference if you think it'll help ?

2 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

It does make me smile seeing how personally you take any criticism of Rooney. Easier bites than winding up Leeds fans

Not sure if you understand how successful football management works but 1 win in 15 games & only saved from relegation by Marlon Pack's late equaliser is going to take a bit of PR spin

You can write him a character reference if you think it'll help ?

Think it was 1 win in 16 ???

15 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Not at all, it's about the stuff you post. All based on totally ignoring any anti-Rooney bias you have. I've said that after a pre-season and when he gets in some players, that will be the time to judge how well Rooney is doing. But carry on judging him on a situation he was put in that wasn't of his making.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not at all, it's about the stuff you post. All based on totally ignoring any anti-Rooney bias you have. I've said that after a pre-season and when he gets in some players, that will be the time to judge how well Rooney is doing. But carry on judging him on a situation he was put in that wasn't of his making.

Well that's nonsense - you only have to look at various other threads today & you piling into any perceived slight from other posters on your celebrity crush. Nice try though.

No, I will judge Rooney on the 35 games he's had to date and exactly to the same standard you judged every one of his predecessors but which you are unwilling to explain doesn't apply to statistically our worst manager since Phil Brown. So you're going to have to live with my views until he improves dramatically or clears off. My money's on the latter ?

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Totally agree Macca….35 games is nowhere near enough games to judge. He was only able to bring 5 players in on loan, nowhere near enough to judge…..the 1 win in 16 games was just a blip…nowhere near enough of a losing streak to judge…..

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

Totally agree Macca….35 games is nowhere near enough games to judge. He was only able to bring 5 players in on loan, nowhere near enough to judge…..the 1 win in 16 games was just a blip…nowhere near enough of a losing streak to judge…..

Glad you agree.

2 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Well that's nonsense - you only have to look at various other threads today & you piling into any perceived slight from other posters on your celebrity crush. Nice try though.

No, I will judge Rooney on the 35 games he's had to date and exactly to the same standard you judged every one of his predecessors but which you are unwilling to explain doesn't apply to statistically our worst manager since Phil Brown. So you're going to have to live with my views until he improves dramatically or clears off. My money's on the latter ?

Celebrity crush ? Tops my love child scenario ??

If Rooney walks the he doesn’t get paid off. That’s a big decision for him to take.

If we get nowhere with the takeover or investment then he is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Stay and manage a squad that even a football genius couldn’t keep up or go and have a record of 1 win in 16 and look for a new job.

Of course … there is one other scenario. Stay and see the rams get one of the worst total points that a championship team can get … but stay up due to other teams going into administration and getting a points deduction.

i.e. stay up be default.

Maybe we should really be hoping the takeover is done in time for the 2022/23 season?

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Don’t think Rooney is in a strong position. The football community thinks that so far he’ s struggling as a manager - so where is he going to walk to ? And I don’t think punditry is likely to be his thing

But if he does turn it around next season, he’ll be feeling good about Derby, and many of the fans who are now against him will give him a second go. So I’m not sure he’ll be out the door at the first opportunity 

all quite dependent on the long awaited new owners of course and their relationship with him. 

If it goes belly up with us. His get out will be going to Manure of Everton to do some coaching for 6 months, say he’s grown from the experience and start applying for jobs again.

It’ll delay his career, but it won’t be terminal as there will always be a club willing to take a chance on his celebrity status!

5 hours ago, Ramarena said:

If it goes belly up with us. His get out will be going to Manure of Everton to do some coaching for 6 months, say he’s grown from the experience and start applying for jobs again.

It’ll delay his career, but it won’t be terminal as there will always be a club willing to take a chance on his celebrity status!

The big picture is rooney doesn't need the money as his personal wealth is over 100 million.

I think with the money rooney has, there's no incentive to succeed in the same way a manager who needs to build a reputation and wasn't previously a star player will have incentive to succeed.

8 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I've said that after a pre-season and when he gets in some players, that will be the time to judge how well Rooney is doing.

But carry on judging him on a situation he was put in that wasn't of his making.

First bit, agreed although there's little evidence from last season to suggest he'll do well unless Bielik returns, or he sorts out the midfield balance another way, or he lets the reigns off the attacking players like against Brentford away and Sheff Weds at home. 

That said even without Bielik the Waghorn/Gregory two up top seemed to be a decent idea so perhaps he can replicate that... although we never got to see whether it would have worked over a longer period, it could have been a revelation but equally it could just as easily have been sussed out and become ineffective after 2 games.

I'm happy enough to see what he can do if we sort out poo out and bring 'his' players in. I'd be even happier if he employed an experienced head coach / mentor (of his own choosing) to help him.

That doesn't mean all his failings and  last season can just be written off, even if you want to pretend they were nothing to do with him.

A few months before the end of the season you said that "If we get relegated then it would be down to Cocu and Rooney" - fair play we didn't get relegated, by the very skin of our teeth, so there's your get-out clause.

However it's funny how, but for the grace of a Cardiff goal against Rotherham, or Curtis Davies not endangering himself by playing (when no other player would) to keep Sheff Weds from scoring another, you'd have accepted that Rooney deserved his share of the blame, but because they didn't you're acting like he's absolutely blameless, his management so far is beyond question and he's above all reproach.

It's no wonder people are calling you out.

The relegation watch thread was quite an interesting read back in February. Tetchy, lol. Glad it worked out.

Edited by Coconut

8 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

But you constantly belittled Cocu and he was put in a bad situation too ...please don't tell me he wasn't ??

No transfer budget when he joined and lacking all of the loans and appointed just before the season started because the Frank to Chelsea situation just dragged on and on even though we all knew it was happening!

Cocu actually signed some decent players in Byrne,Beilik,Jozwiak,CKR when he eventually could sign players and still think despite his poor start to the season never really seemed to have been backed properly and maybe because the club was already in decline.

I also think the younger players progressed under Cocu certainly Buchanan, Knight,Sibley and Bird seemed to benefit from his tenure

It just seems though that you see no wrong in Rooney yet  don't think we are any better off......

I don't think Rooney will walk away either for a fraction of what he's owed unlike Cocu did 

Just my opinion but if we get taken over I'd like a new broom situation and clear out all of the coaching team and lets get someone who knows what he's doing 

23 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

If this happens, I for one will want to know if you are ITK. 

You wont get much for thruppence hapenny.

I truly think that the EFL probably don't have much grounds to punish us but they can delay the outcome in the meantime keeping us under an embargo. - The downside from that the potential new owners are maybe hanging on until the outcome of the EFL findings are published. 

This way the EFL can hurt us and really ruin our season without actually giving out any real punishment.

I think think this is the nub of it. You can take the ebb and flow of the fates, you can endure a grim couple of seasons, reshaping, relegation even. On the other side you might even get to enjoy a few sweet moments when a youngster, played from genuine need, shows some talent t give us hope of better things to come.

What kills you is the waiting, the not knowing. It’s like showing you the instruments of torture while you’re strapped to the wrack and they say .. when shall we start ? Then just as the thumb screws are about to be put on, someone comes in with a tray of tea and biscuits for Torquemada and says “it’s your break” . Then when he’s finished that, his mobile rings so he stops and says “do you mind if I take this”