Jack Marriott - joined Peterborough

Animal is a Ram

Strikes me as a footballer who doesn't actually like or care about football , resulting in perhaps less than optimal fitness which in turn results in more time on the injury table and the golf course than the pitch.

Has ability though , imagine he will do enough in football to keep the paychecks coming but in a couple of years i imagine he will be back in league 1 or league 2.

Other than CKR he’s 100% better than any of the other strikers on the books…….oh wait a minute there are no others 

Certainly divides option does JM and I can understand both sides.

Not overly disappointed if he goes, but can see we bought a player who initially showed as being capable then seems to have downed tools for whatever reason be it injury/golf/he doesn’t like the system/new manager don’t fancy him etc.

It still baffles me why we signed him as if you did your research on him his success to my mind has come alongside another striker in a two and on the shoulder of the last defender with a high press. 
We’ve not really played that way for a few seasons or high press and want him to come short, link, hold it up,  which is not going to get the best out of him.

He scored goals so we bought him (and over paid- not his fault tbf) not really thinking how we get the best out of him. We do it time and again.

On occasions I accept it works. Jonny Russel came from Dundee as a striker but we converted him as a midfield/wide player but more often than not the signing turns into being a dud.  

I’m sure Scouts look at players who fit the system but it feels like we don’t and just buy players who are on form. 

I won’t be too sad if JM goes and would wish him well. 

Gangway D from the terrace 

Was very happy when we signed him, we had finally signed someone from lower leagues who was scoring for fun which most fans had wanted us to do.

However, it simply hasnt worked out for him here. There must be a reason why 3 managers never really played him and even Rooney saying he had no future when we were short of strikers & goals.

It is annoying that he is going on a free though because the EFL rejected his contract extension, I do wonder if there will be any legal process from the club because of this as it could be a big hit on this years finances which we obviously hoped wouldn't be there given we gave him another year.

This is where Derby fans drive me crazy. Marriott has offered nothing to Derby or Sheff Weds over thr last 2 years. We are a club with no income (like many others) and our cloth is finally being cut accordingly. No squad can or should carry passengers and there is no room for sentiment at this critical stage for Derby.

Wish him well but the last thing he did was score vs Leeds in May 2019. We move on.

Edited by gccrowdpleaser

I think its all a "what could have been" what if he'd played at Wembley? What if he hadn't been injured in the Cocu era? What if he'd had his head screwed on? 

Its a shame and I wish him all the best as I do think there's a goalscorer in there but strikes me as a player that he needs to be 100% right to make it work. 

Good luck to him but his time at Wendies he isn't a great loss. 

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

Gutted about this one I have to say. Such a shame how his Derby career has gone since that first season. I was convinced we had a player there. 

Yeah, I'm really disappointed as he's a gifted player on his day. That said Frank Lampard bought him and hardly played him, Philip Cocu never played him, Wayne Rooney sent him on loan inferring he was lazy and finally he spent 13 games on loan at the Wendies, didn't score - and went AWOL during his spell there. Something just isn't right with the guy....but undoubtably he'll score against us though....