Jack Marriott - joined Peterborough

Animal is a Ram

I'm all Natalie Imbruglia'd on this one - in one corner we have a player who knew where the goal was and had the ability to find the net from all angles.  In the other corner we have a player who 4 managers chose not to play.  He clearly has ability so it's more than likely down to attitude and commitment, or lack thereof.  It would have been nice to recoup some moolah on him but c'est la vie.  I kinda wish him well, but will also be somewhat miffed if he goes to Hull and smacks in 15+ goals. 

1 hour ago, Terry Hennessy said:

That said Frank Lampard bought him and hardly played him, Philip Cocu never played him, Wayne Rooney sent him on loan inferring he was lazy

4 different managers can't all be wrong. 

If he turns it around at Hull under his ex-Peterborough boss then so be it, but it doesn't mean it was ever going to turn around for him here. No doubt if he does come good at Hull there'll be plenty on here and other social media platforms eager to point fingers of blame at the club and none at Marriott, as is always the way with know-it-all football fans.

It's a real shame his career here as taken the nose dive it has. He's appears to be quite a natural finisher, knows how to time a run and did have a nice bit of pace on him making him very dangerous at this level. However, he's barely played for sheffield wednesday on loan, barely played for us and when he has he's looked a little off the pace and not fit into the style we want. Therefore, it'd be a bit silly to keep him on after all this time offering little to the squad. 

1 hour ago, Terry Hennessy said:

Yeah, I'm really disappointed as he's a gifted player on his day. That said Frank Lampard bought him and hardly played him, Philip Cocu never played him, Wayne Rooney sent him on loan inferring he was lazy and finally he spent 13 games on loan at the Wendies, didn't score - and went AWOL during his spell there. Something just isn't right with the guy....but undoubtably he'll score against us though....

What I want to know is what happened to that Marriott who looked so good in October and November of Lampards season. We were flying at the time but then we dropped off a bit and Marriott couldn't get a regular game. Scored that goal at Norwich, scored against Southampton and then scored in the playoffs. But why was he never in the side in that second part of the season? 

20 minutes ago, Carnero said:

4 different managers can't all be wrong. 

If he turns it around at Hull under his ex-Peterborough boss then so be it, but it doesn't mean it was ever going to turn around for him here. No doubt if he does come good at Hull there'll be plenty on here and other social media platforms eager to point fingers of blame at the club and none at Marriott, as is always the way with know-it-all football fans.

I would say more than 4 managers too as he was at Sheff W under Pulis, Moore and then the caretaker whilst Moore was ill.

The guy is given a free pass by some for his perceived charisma and being a “one of the lads” type of player.

The truth is we have plenty more hard working professionals at the club who work harder in training to be considered suitable for selection and if the latter few managers that Marriott has played under have started to leave him out of the team regularly, even when he’s not injured, then people need to see that he isn’t the sort of player they wish he was.

Yeah, he scored THAT goal vs Leeds and looked promising when he first joined, but I don’t think we should be upset that he is leaving.

The most concerning thing about this is the fact that we Derby county extended his contract as per his contract which meant he had a potential value - the EFL wouldn’t let us extend it apparently and we are now watching him leave for absolutely nothing! Let’s forget if we wanted to use him this season or not - that in my mind is not protecting clubs it’s taking a transfer fee away from clubs and that is utterly disgusting, the cartel that is the EFL invents it’s own rules because they are not allowed to be challenged in the courts by it’s members who are being royally shafted on permanent basis.

Just now, Sparkle said:

The most concerning thing about this is the fact that we Derby county extended his contract as per his contract which meant he had a potential value - the EFL wouldn’t let us extend it apparently and we are now watching him leave for absolutely nothing! Let’s forget if we wanted to use him this season or not - that in my mind is not protecting clubs it’s taking a transfer fee away from clubs and that is utterly disgusting, the cartel that is the EFL invents it’s own rules because they are not allowed to be challenged in the courts by it’s members who are being royally shafted on permanent basis.

Just to follow that train of thought - what if we are trying to extend Tom Lawrence’s contract, I assume the EFL won’t let us do that either or give Davies, Waghorn or Wisdom a contact even if it is for less money. 

15 minutes ago, DerbyRam! said:

Barely scored a goal for us and could easily be the best player at the club next season if we play to his strengths.

Watch him get 20 goals next season.

Poor management of players by dcfc all round

The club are to blame for many things, but the plight of Jack Marriott is not one. A player with great promise who couldn’t be arsed to stay fit and work hard. Only himself to blame. Yes, he has been affected by change of managers/playing style, but his attitude has by all accounts been below average. A shame, but his loss. He won’t play for a bigger club than Derby in his career. 

Not quite sure why we signed Marriott in the first place personally. There's a decent player in there, however he was never going to fit into the way Lampard (and his successors) have set the team up. We need a player who's going to hold the ball up, bring other people into play and get onto the end of a cross... whereas JMs game seems to be to stand on the last man and try to outpace them (which is fine, but only if he's got someone close enough to play him in!). 

Really gutted how it’s turned out for Marriott. I thought he was the real deal in the 18/19 season and if Lampard had started him in the final it could’ve been a whole different story. However since then he’s done nothing in 2 seasons either here or at Wednesday. And according to various reports on Derby’s wage bill he’s on £19k per week!! So unless it’s on vastly reduced terms makes no sense to keep him. I’m also not sure he’s ever suited our system.

Good luck to him and let’s hope the wages we free up will enable us to get a more suitable striker. 

4 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

What I want to know is what happened to that Marriott who looked so good in October and November of Lampards season. We were flying at the time but then we dropped off a bit and Marriott couldn't get a regular game. Scored that goal at Norwich, scored against Southampton and then scored in the playoffs. But why was he never in the side in that second part of the season? 

He had a torn stomach muscle at Southampton away. 

He was a proper Lampard kind of player yet even Lampard dropped him for the squad because of his fitness and training issues. 

There's a reason that Lampard/Cocu/Rooney and Sheff Wednesday could barely get games out of him nevermind goals. 

26 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

He was a proper Lampard kind of player yet even Lampard dropped him for the squad because of his fitness and training issues. 

There's a reason that Lampard/Cocu/Rooney and Sheff Wednesday could barely get games out of him nevermind goals. 

I imagine he'll get 3 years somewhere as he's on a free (or not, EFL?!), Peterborough?