Can england win euro 2021

B4ev6is

Can't see in anyway England winning the Euro's, if there lucky to get out this group the furthest they will get it is Quarter-Finals, feel like Southgate is the wrong manager far to conservative/defensive manager. Maybe someone like Lampard would make a better England manager. 

2 hours ago, Premier ram said:

The priority at the moment is to get out the group , then we can look how the knockout stages look , im sure theres a performance coming that will have the country buzzing , its not over for England by a long way yet

Certainly isn't over but the performances are not yet capturing the imagination. 

Euro96 really came alive in the 3rd game with the demolition of the netherlands - helped by the fact that it was portrayed at the time as payback for knocking us out of wc94 qualifying. 

A round of 16 game against Germany or Portugal with a rousing victory would get everyone going. 

There are some good teams but everyone is susceptible to the breakaway attack.

So many of the players seem to play most of the game in the opponents' half.

This leaves them vulnerable to the sucker punch.

England need to capitalise on this and maybe even try one or two 50 yard shots on goal.

It worked against Derby's Mr Marshall.

Seems a pity Frank Lampard got older. The classic goal poacher!

18 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Certainly isn't over but the performances are not yet capturing the imagination. 

Euro96 really came alive in the 3rd game with the demolition of the netherlands - helped by the fact that it was portrayed at the time as payback for knocking us out of wc94 qualifying. 

A round of 16 game against Germany or Portugal with a rousing victory would get everyone going. 

When was the last time we beat a traditionally 'big' nation in a knockout stage of an international competition? 

If we get a Portugal, Germany, France or even Belgium in a knockout, I don't see us winning that. 

The reason we did so well in the last WC was because we avoided those teams in the 16 and quarter finals. 

1 hour ago, Red_Dawn said:

When was the last time we beat a traditionally 'big' nation in a knockout stage of an international competition? 

If we get a Portugal, Germany, France or even Belgium in a knockout, I don't see us winning that. 

The reason we did so well in the last WC was because we avoided those teams in the 16 and quarter finals. 

We have 8 knockout wins in major tournaments since 1966 

Paraguay (1986) Belgium (1990), Cameroon (1990), Spain (1996), Denmark (2002), Ecuador (2006), Colombia (2018), Sweden (2018)

Our record against big nations is almost non existent. 

1 hour ago, Red_Dawn said:

I posted somewhere else that I think in open play it was Belgium at italia 90.

I suppose some might argue that getting past Spain on pens at Euro 96 should count but I disagree. 

Can't see that changing this time either. 

2 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

We have 8 knockout wins in major tournaments since 1966 

Paraguay (1986) Belgium (1990), Cameroon (1990), Spain (1996), Denmark (2002), Ecuador (2006), Colombia (2018), Sweden (2018)

Our record against big nations is almost non existent. 

Even worse when you get it down on paper. Grim reading

9 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

We might win It, we might not….no one knows…who cares let’s just enjoy It….I tell you one thing we do all know though…..the Sweaty Socks aren’t winning It….! Out of the competition with 1 point sat bottom of the group with 1 goal scored… brilliant. 

Surprised that you’re not saying you prefer it in the group stages, not interested in seeing us compete with the best teams. 

You feeling alright m’duck?

If we win the last-16 game, it looks like a potential run to the final. 2018 level. Netherlands are the weakest of the big teams and I'd back us to keep it tight and win that fixture 1-0.

Big if but I do think we've got what it takes to beat Germany, assuming France take care of business vs Portugal today. It's fair enough to question Southgate's overly conservative approach in the Scotland game but our defence looks like the second best at the tournament, after Italy.

I'd go to a back 5 in the knockout game, play on the counter, absorb pressure, and frustrate the opposition. Use the embarrassment of riches on the bench to get back in the game if we're a goal down after an hour. That blueprint won Tuchel/Chelsea the Champions League and it's our best hope at the end of a knackering season, even if it's a bit boring.

Pickford; Walker, Stones, Maguire; Trippier, Rice, Henderson, Shaw; Sterling, Kane, Grealish

with Mount, Foden, Saka, Rashford, Sancho, DCL, James, and Bellingham all potential options off the bench.

3 hours ago, David said:

Surprised that you’re not saying you prefer it in the group stages, not interested in seeing us compete with the best teams. 

You feeling alright m’duck?

I am great thanks, but thanks for caring. 
can’t wait to see us play Germany, would prefer It to be Portugal just to see old Ronnie face as we knock them out. 

3 hours ago, Posh Ram said:

Big if but I do think we've got what it takes to beat Germany but our defence looks like the second best at the tournament, after Italy.

Our defensive statistics look good but I disagree that our defence looks brilliant, because it has not faced any significant pressure. 

None of the three opponents we faced put together any sustained pressure and none had any real pace up front. That said, we still managed to get in a flap against the Czechs and the guy shot just wide. 

If, in the tougher games to come, Maguire, stones etc face forwards actually running at them there could be problems. 

We haven't shown any real ability to be able to hold the ball further forward, or to inject a real change of pace into our game. The better sides seem to have this. 

For all of these reasons I think we'll come up short of success. 

55 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Our defensive statistics look good but I disagree that our defence looks brilliant, because it has not faced any significant pressure. 

None of the three opponents we faced put together any sustained pressure and none had any real pace up front. That said, we still managed to get in a flap against the Czechs and the guy shot just wide. 

If, in the tougher games to come, Maguire, stones etc face forwards actually running at them there could be problems. 

We haven't shown any real ability to be able to hold the ball further forward, or to inject a real change of pace into our game. The better sides seem to have this. 

For all of these reasons I think we'll come up short of success. 

That's often the way in international football though, little to no opposition in qualifying, group stages often produce mismatches, then suddenly you're in with the big boys in the knockout round. In Italy's unbeaten run they've faced Ukraine, the USA, Finland (twice), Liechtenstein (twice), Greece (twice), Bosnia (four times), Armenia (twice), Poland (twice), the Netherlands (twice), Northern Ireland, Bulgaria, Lithuania, San Marino, the Czech Republic, Turkey, Switzerland, and Wales. I think statistics and the eye test are the best way to judge international defences because we so rarely see the best teams play each other in a competitive setting.

I'm not worried about pacey forwards (except Mbappé), because Walker will be playing as either the third CB or a defence-first full-back. He's not as good as James/Trippier going forward but he's a quality 1v1 defender with incredible recovery pace.