Can england win euro 2021

B4ev6is

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Really good start, something to build on. This team has gears to go to. It's important we don't peak too early. Tournaments are all about momentum

Well england must try finnish top of the group but wont be easy through.

If we kick into gear going forwards we have a chance of scoring enough goals.

Worried about our defence once we start coming up against better teams however.

Depending on the draw, if we remain at Wembley and get past a potential difficult second round opponent my optimism will start to increase ? 

Absolutely we can win it, we have a squad full of attacking talent. To win it though we need some luck, that’ll be the difference between us, France and Italy, just luck we’re all good enough to win it. 

From all of the tournament play I've seen down the years, the factors that seem to be important are... 

- a game plan that isn't based on charging around the pitch at top speed for 90 mins

- rotating the squad to keep fitness and freshness up

- an attitude of never feeling beaten if you go behind 

- excellence in penalty shootouts as you're likely to face one at least if you go a long way 

I'm banking on quarters. Semi final would be great.  Yes we could win but realistically there's better teams out there atm.  This is one of the youngest most attacking teams for ages though with the likes of Foden, Mount, Bellingham, Sancho and Grealish so I'm looking over the next 2-4 years for big things.  As always it's our defence that worries me, especially CB. 

2 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Well england must try finnish top of the group but wont be easy through.

We'd actually be better off coming second, so we don't have to play the runner up in the group of death. 

I think we will win the group, but its going to take something special to beat the likes of France or Portugal.

The team is decent, but imo lacks the variety of the best and that ability to suddenly switch the pace of the game. 

The best sides seem to be able to be at walking pace for a bit before suddenly springing forward with great pace, technique and accuracy. 

As I think it was eithet@RoyMac5 or @Carl Sagannoted in another thread, when we tried to vary things, our attempts to do so looked a bit uncoordinated. 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

From all of the tournament play I've seen down the years, the factors that seem to be important are... 

- a game plan that isn't based on charging around the pitch at top speed for 90 mins

- rotating the squad to keep fitness and freshness up

- an attitude of never feeling beaten if you go behind 

- excellence in penalty shootouts as you're likely to face one at least if you go a long way 

2.5 out of 4 ain’t bad..

1.Time and a place 

2. Nah, play your best 11 or maybe some minor tweaks.

3. 100%
4. 100%

30 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

The team is decent, but imo lacks the variety of the best and that ability to suddenly switch the pace of the game. 

The best sides seem to be able to be at walking pace for a bit before suddenly springing forward with great pace, technique and accuracy. 

As I think it was eithet@RoyMac5 or @Carl Sagannoted in another thread, when we tried to vary things, our attempts to do so looked a bit uncoordinated. 

The squad is very decent particularly in forward positions, not too bad in defence, especially if Maguire gets fit soonest. But I just cannot see Southgate picking a team to do anything like play to the potential of the best players. Rice and Phillips? Walker? Trippier on the left? Why does Kane seem to play as a false no.9? Pickford looked poor in his distribution and a bit uncertain at times. Where was Grealish? Bellingham looks worth more time than he's got so far. Etc... so will the manager get the best out of a good squad or will the squad be held back by the manager's inadequacies - compare and contrast the U23s and Boothroyd.

3 hours ago, maxjam said:

If we kick into gear going forwards we have a chance of scoring enough goals.

Worried about our defence once we start coming up against better teams however.

Depending on the draw, if we remain at Wembley and get past a potential difficult second round opponent my optimism will start to increase ? 

Yes, agree about the defence, especially central defence….