Matt Crooks - Signed for Boro

Stuniverse

On 12/06/2021 at 10:57, rynny said:

From the very little I've seen of him, he is those horrible players that are sly and cowardly, puts a boot in after the ball has gone, always late with challenges, elbows anyone who challenges him for a header. Always feel like he is going to injure someone everytime he steps foot on the pitch. 

That's the "Derby Way" surely??

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Rample said:

Ipswich had £400k turned down for him, totally out of our price range.  

We can't, and will be unlikely to, be able to bid for any players this transfer window. 

I think we will be smart to look to overseas players out of contract, like we did under the 3 Amigos. The fact that we can only sign out of contract players and loans when we have barely any players is crazy. Although, Mel probably isn't keen on funding it anyway. 

6 hours ago, Taribo said:

Not sure of the brexit rules but any overseas players that we can afford to offer a contract aren't likely to be eligible for a work permit are they?

Brexit would only impact transfers from the EU surely? 

Africa and South America to go, with maybe a smattering of Asia? 

57 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Brexit would only impact transfers from the EU surely? 

Africa and South America to go, with maybe a smattering of Asia? 

Nope, any player from outside the UK, plus any foreigner from within the UK but if you buy a foreigner from a Champ club, almost certain they get a permit.

14 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Nope, any player from outside the UK, plus any foreigner from within the UK but if you buy a foreigner from a Champ club, almost certain they get a permit.

Oh well that's all down to the rules concocted by the magnificent priti patel. 

The only relevance of brexit is to hand the rule writing pen over to her. 

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's now easier to sign non-EU players than it was before though.

Do we have the scouting budget to even look outside the EU or anyone on staff with any real knowledge on non EU players? 

Would be nice as you would Imagine there could decent quality to be found. But we are notorious for looking no further than Scotland most of the time ?

11 hours ago, rammieib said:

wrong. The FA set out their own criteria for obtaining permits.

They (the fa) set out the rules for homegrown players in squads. 

Work permits are granted by HM gov and they don't delegate that. 

As a critical step of any application, the UK gov will not grant a work permit unless it is sponsored by the governing body, in this case the FA, which is what I think you meant. 

In the EU, the ruling was that no work permits were required. But the fa can still make rules about how many "homegrown" players can be in your squad. Just as uefa do. But that is not the same legally, the fa denying a "work permit". 

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's now easier to sign non-EU players than it was before though.

My understanding is it's now the same level of difficulty as signing any foreign player - so it might be slightly easier but not easy - Not sure how many regular internationals from outside Europe are dying to move to a lower championship club

57 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

They (the fa) set out the rules for homegrown players in squads. 

Work permits are granted by HM gov and they don't delegate that. 

As a critical step of any application, the UK gov will not grant a work permit unless it is sponsored by the governing body, in this case the FA, which is what I think you meant. 

In the EU, the ruling was that no work permits were required. But the fa can still make rules about how many "homegrown" players can be in your squad. Just as uefa do. But that is not the same legally, the fa denying a "work permit". 

Yes - This is what I meant. The FA set out the rules for which they would provide a GBE to the Government. The EFL accepted these rules which I'm really surprised at as they really did for me limit the talent pool which EFL clubs would be fishing in.

There are a few strange ones, I'd be intrigued to look at the Dutch player recently signed by Swansea for instance and see how he passed the GBE endorsement.