Nathan Byrne

Comrade 86

In a season with very little to bring us any cheer, a quick doff of the cap to Nathan Byrne who was for the most part, incredibly consistent in a very poorly performing side. Some of his crosses were absolute filth, in the best possible way and this lad was an absolute steal if the reputed £600 to £700k fee is anywhere close to the mark.

32 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Phew, I feared this was a thread saying he was being moved on when I first saw it. I need to calm down a bit. Agreed that on the whole he was a shining light in what was a pretty dismal season. 

Soz bud. Could have made it clear in the title I suppose as I've had the same heart palpitations over other similarly titled threads. ?

Believe he not only created the most chances for Derby last season but was one of the most effective full backs in the division for doing so.

He stood out in a poor side but think he'd be devastating in a team that plays on the front foot....constant overload on the right side. Can't remember who said it on here but Byrne looks very much like a 90s footballer who'd be in a Jim Smith side. No fuss, not flamboyant, just quietly effective. Great bit of business for 600k & just goes to show that modest fees can bring in quality players. Many more opportunities out there post-Covid to get value in.

Good thing is his levels are unlikely to drop as he has Ebosele & McDonald snapping at his heels. Well catered for at RB now.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

36 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Good thing is his levels are unlikely to drop as he has Ebosele & McDonald snapping at his heels

Maybe, if the strange experiment of us playing him as a striker comes to an end!

I thought it was just a case of needs must, a lack of numbers for the first team, wanting to get a player with some pace and strength on the pitch against tired defenders

...but then he dropped down the the U23s and played upfront for them in one game, and he's been played upfront by Ireland, so it seems it may be something we're thinking of longer term.

18 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Maybe, if the strange experiment of us playing him as a striker comes to an end!

I thought it was just a case of needs must, a lack of numbers for the first team, wanting to get a player with some pace and strength on the pitch against tired defenders

...but then he dropped down the the U23s and played upfront for them in one game, and he's been played upfront by Ireland, so it seems it may be something we're thinking of longer term.

The new Dean Moxey ?

Like you I assumed he was thrown on up front (v Preston?) as a late distraction rather than a genuine threat - didn't realise he'd gone up front for the U23s or Ireland youth. That's not to say it couldn't work - pace, strength, directness & a bit of swagger are all things I'd look for from a front man but safe to say there's a lot of work to do to get him up to competent Championship standard. 

Ebosele or Stretton playing off Kazim - well, they've got a whole summer to perfect it!

3 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Believe he not only created the most chances for Derby last season but was one of the most effective full backs in the division for doing so.

He stood out in a poor side but think he'd be devastating in a team that plays on the front foot....constant overload on the right side. Can't remember who said it on here but Byrne looks very much like a 90s footballer who'd be in a Jim Smith side. No fuss, not flamboyant, just quietly effective. Great bit of business for 600k & just goes to show that modest fees can bring in quality players. Many more opportunities out there post-Covid to get value in.

Good thing is his levels are unlikely to drop as he has Ebosele & McDonald snapping at his heels. Well catered for at RB now.

59 kep passes for Derby last season (Shinnie 2nd on 45, Jozwiak 3rd on 26) ranking 18th in the league out of all players. Behind Roberts (86), Jacobson (68), Malone (62) and Aarons (61) from full back.

And wasn't it £250k?

2 hours ago, Coconut said:

Played upfront for Ireland through the age groups, and I believe that's where he was playing when we decided to sign him

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

59 kep passes for Derby last season (Shinnie 2nd on 45, Jozwiak 3rd on 26) ranking 18th in the league out of all players. Behind Roberts (86), Jacobson (68), Malone (62) and Aarons (61) from full back.

And wasn't it £250k?

Played upfront for Ireland through the age groups, and I believe that's where he was playing when we decided to sign him

Even better. That's a steal & whilst I accept Wigan were in a particularly perilous state at the time, there will be plenty of other bargains out there. Don't recall any competition for his signature either which in hindsight seems incredible.

Didn't realise Ebosele started out as a forward, bit odd we converted him into a RB unless there was a long term plan in place. I know Dutch coaches like to play youngsters in different positions to improve their understanding of the game so maybe it was a Cocu call whilst he was in the youth teams. Players can also move position as they mature...Gareth Bale was a LB for much of his earlier career but no-one has called him a full back for over a decade.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

My memory was of him being a midfielder, possibly winger moved back but not an outright striker playing centrally, but I think I just recalled the word midfielder from the following article and misremembered the context!

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/festy-embarks-on-Derby-dream-37097346.html

I'm pretty sure that when he first played for us it was actually in central midfield, and we hadn't until recently had him upfront, but, well, my memory...

Edited by Coconut

• 4 months later...

Watching the highlights, as I was thankfully not there yesterday but the amount of times Byrne let’s him man get passed him when defending the goal is criminal.

He switches off constantly and it costs us on many occasions. Yesterday he had no idea where Bereton was and could simply have headed that cross out for a corner.

People love him, he’s small and diminutive and tries hard but he is a very limited player and hopefully over time we can do better.

It was still harsh on Ebosele who played well at Preston and was dropped immediately.

11 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Watching the highlights, as I was thankfully not there yesterday but the amount of times Byrne let’s him man get passed him when defending the goal is criminal.

He switches off constantly and it costs us on many occasions. Yesterday he had no idea where Bereton was and could simply have headed that cross out for a corner.

People love him, he’s small and diminutive and tries hard but he is a very limited player and hopefully over time we can do better.

It was still harsh on Ebosele who played well at Preston and was dropped immediately.

Think the most disappointing aspect of the first goal was the space and time for Buckley? to put in a cross which then took out 4 Derby defenders including Byrne. 

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Think the most disappointing aspect of the first goal was the space and time for Buckley? to put in a cross which then took out 4 Derby defenders including Byrne. 

Agreed on the time to make the cross but no fault on the centre backs as you can’t defend that deep originally.

Just Byrne doesn’t have a defend at all cost mentality. He fouls a lot as well to hide his inability and most bookings come this way.

I thought Fozzy looked very Rusty in the first half, but improved after HT. Mowbray obviously targeted Byrne with their most physical players - that's always going to be the case, and I think he does usually cope better. Festy frightened the life out of them and perhaps should have replaced Byrne at HT. 

Byrne, however, was one of the few players to come out of last season with credit, so I don't get why he's getting the level criticism from the OP. 

Edited by Crewton
Added paragraph

He wasn’t alone in being poor yesterday - and was frequently left trying to cover 2 players as other players were pulled out of position. Fozzy had one of ‘those games’ (that he tends to have every 5 or 6 games), Jags looked every day of his 39 years at times during the first half and even Curtis looked far from certain…. Could have been the strength and movement of Blackburn or (controversial opinion) the effect of scary Roos in goal - a defence that refused to let goals in for a number of games suddenly looked as if they’d never played together and were all over the place whenever a ball was put into our area…. I’ll give the credit to the Blackburn forwards but the flappy wobbly bloke doesn’t inspire confidence in me or our defenders….

Peterborough x2

luton

Blackburn

4 goals this season that have been caused by him being completely unaware of his surrounds and letting his man go past him. Or falling over the ball in the penalty box in the case of Peterborough’s second goal. 

thats a third of our goals concede this season.  

Edited by tinman