Embargo Squad

DCFC1388

On 03/06/2021 at 10:53, DCFC1388 said:

So the DET are saying we're under an embargo which basically means we can only sign free's and loans currently. Clubs have to operate with a squad of 23 established players which does not include academy players under 21. So this got me thinking what our squad looks like on this basis and how many spaces we have for incomings.

GK (3) - Marshall, Roos, Ravas

DEF (2) - Forsyth, Byrne

MID (3) - Bielik, Shinnie, Watson

FWD (5) - Jozwiak, Lawrence, Ibe, CKR, Marriott

I added Watson as I am not sure if he classes as an Academy player. If he does that leaves us with 13 players meaning we have space for 10 incomings. 3 spaces could get taken up if Davies, Wisdom & Waghorn renew their deals.

Space for 10 within those requirements, but we have U21 academy graduates who would be part of the squad. I'm not even sure Ravas will be with us next season (contract expiring?)

The following will also be classed as over 21 I believe, but not included in your list: Mitchell, Yates, Idem, Sykes-Kenworthy, Wassall, Bateman, Hutchinson, JML, Shonibare, and Trialist. That's your 10 missing players, taking us up to 23 ? Although, I expect most to be leaving this summer.

So if we include all overage players and the U21s who have established themselves in the squad, we have something like this going into next season:

G - Roos, Marshall, Idem
D - Byrne, Ebosele/McDonald, Forsyth, Buchanan
M - Bielik, Bird, Knight, Shinnie, Sibley, Watson
W - Lawrence, Jozwiak, Ibe, Shonibare
A - Kazim, Marriott, Stretton

Other than the lack of CBs it doesn't actually look too bad to me.

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Space for 10 within those requirements, but we have U21 academy graduates who would be part of the squad. I'm not even sure Ravas will be with us next season (contract expiring?)

The following will also be classed as over 21 I believe, but not included in your list: Mitchell, Yates, Idem, Sykes-Kenworthy, Wassall, Bateman, Hutchinson, JML, Shonibare, and Trialist. That's your 10 missing players, taking us up to 23 ? Although, I expect most to be leaving this summer.

So if we include all overage players and the U21s who have established themselves in the squad, we have something like this going into next season:

G - Roos, Marshall, Idem
D - Byrne, Ebosele/McDonald, Forsyth, Buchanan
M - Bielik, Bird, Knight, Shinnie, Sibley, Watson
W - Lawrence, Jozwiak, Ibe, Shonibare
A - Kazim, Marriott, Stretton

Other than the lack of CBs it doesn't actually look too bad to me.

From what I can see, the players I have put in bold run out of contract this summer too. Ravas still has 1 year left on his deal.

Ebosele (18), McDonald (19), Buchanan (20), Bird (20), Knight (20), Sibley (19) & Stretton (19) don't count towards the 23 due to being under 21 & academy players.

Yates, Hutchinson, JML, Shonibare & JHI will only count if promoted to the first team.

Edited by DCFC1388

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

From what I can see, the players I have put in bold run out of contract this summer too.

Idem has been the most commonly used 3rd choice GK, and Sykes-Kenworthy has been a regular for the U23s since joining. I expect both to stay.

Yates, JML and Trialist will likely be off at the end of the month though.

Ravas still has 1 year left on his deal.

Must have missed that extension

Ebosele (18), McDonald (19), Buchanan (20), Bird (20), Knight (20), Sibley (19) & Stretton (19) don't count towards the 23 due to being under 21 & academy players.

I know they aren't included but they'll still be part of the actual squad. We won't have a 30+ player first team squad any time soon, which is what you seemed to be suggesting.

Yates, Hutchinson, JML, Shonibare & JHI will only count if promoted to the first team.

All count towards the official limit whether first team or U23, unless loaned out.

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Must have missed that extension

I know they aren't included but they'll still be part of the actual squad. We won't have a 30+ player first team squad any time soon, which is what you seemed to be suggesting.

All count towards the official limit whether first team or U23, unless loaned out.

Transfermarkt shows as Ravas having a deal until 2022

I wasnt suggesting we will have over 30 players, my point was under the 23 man squad ruling we still had space on top of those academy players

I think they only count in the 23 man squad if they're registered as first team players. U21 players wouldnt need to be registered but anyone over 21 would, so that might be why we dont see the likes of Wassall & Bateman considering their age just randomly selected as it would take up a registration space.

Edited by DCFC1388

16 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Transfermarkt shows as Ravas having a deal until 2022

I wasnt suggesting we will have over 30 players, my point was under the 23 man squad ruling we still had space on top of those academy players

I think they only count in the 23 man squad if they're registered as first team players. U21 players wouldnt need to be registered but anyone over 21 would, so that might be why we dont see the likes of Wassall & Bateman considering their age just randomly selected as it would take up a registration space.

You made me check the rules...

1. A club can name up to 25 players

2. Any players under 21 do not need to be registered. [I believe this is defined as being younger than 21 at the start ofnthe calender year of which the season started.]

3. Loan players have to be registered, regardless of age.

All players that need to be registered to play will be, unless we go over that limit. That means the following will be registered for next season:

Marshall, Roos, Ravas, Idem, Sykes-Kenworthy, Byrne, Forsyth, Bielik, Shinnie, Lawrence, Jozwiak, Ibe, Shonibare, Kazim, Marriott

It's all rather pointless though, as we'll have a significant number of under age players in the sqaud, meaning there's no chance of getting near that limit, even when we include the U23s.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You made me check the rules...

1. A club can name up to 25 players

2. Any players under 21 do not need to be registered. [I believe this is defined as being younger than 21 at the start ofnthe calender year of which the season started.]

3. Loan players have to be registered, regardless of age.

All players that need to be registered to play will be, unless we go over that limit. That means the following will be registered for next season:

Marshall, Roos, Ravas, Idem, Sykes-Kenworthy, Byrne, Forsyth, Bielik, Shinnie, Lawrence, Jozwiak, Ibe, Shonibare, Kazim, Marriott

It's all rather pointless though, as we'll have a significant number of under age players in the sqaud, meaning there's no chance of getting near that limit, even when we include the U23s.

Is this the general ruling or when under an embargo as the DET stated a 23 man squad.

I'm pretty sure you still have to register the player as being in your 1st team squad unless that only applies to Prem teams. You see players every season not get registered meaning they cannot play so end up going out on loan. For example, I am pretty sure Phil Jones wasnt registered in Man Utds 1st team squad last season so couldnt play.