Embargo Squad

DCFC1388

So the DET are saying we're under an embargo which basically means we can only sign free's and loans currently. Clubs have to operate with a squad of 23 established players which does not include academy players under 21. So this got me thinking what our squad looks like on this basis and how many spaces we have for incomings.

GK (3) - Marshall, Roos, Ravas

DEF (2) - Forsyth, Byrne

MID (3) - Bielik, Shinnie, Watson

FWD (5) - Jozwiak, Lawrence, Ibe, CKR, Marriott

I added Watson as I am not sure if he classes as an Academy player. If he does that leaves us with 13 players meaning we have space for 10 incomings. 3 spaces could get taken up if Davies, Wisdom & Waghorn renew their deals.

Edited by DCFC1388

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Does it? It also says we signed Joz and Byrne while under embargo.

It said that for the vast majority of the past 18 months we were under an embargo, those 2 signings must have been when we weren't in one.

5 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Is the number of 23 a must have rule in order to be allowed to take part?

(Warnock usually likes to have 23 strikers)

I think that 23 is the max allowed. I'm not entirely sure if that is a general rule or just whilst an embargo is in place.

14 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I think that 23 is the max allowed. I'm not entirely sure if that is a general rule or just whilst an embargo is in place.

I have never been able to find what exactly is a soft embargo.  Maybe there is some movement allowed by EFL whether that could include allowing registrations in certain circumstances is difficult to say

A bit like the pirates code

image.png.4a1d6cf6e99acb50978c30daef584870.png

2 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Think it means loans and frees are ok. Any transfers requiring a transfer fee needs to be justified.

Yeah that's what I read ?

Edited by Carnero
Added "fee" into the quote ?

3 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Think it means loans and frees are ok. Any transfers requiring a transfer needs to be justified. For instance we sold The 2 players to Sheff Utd for X, then we could use say 70% of the incoming fees to purchase Jozwiak thereby we aren’t spending what we don’t have. 

but some soft embargos have meant a refusal to register new players at all.  ah well it is what it is.

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

but some soft embargos have meant a refusal to register new players at all.  ah well it is what it is.

I can’t say for certain which clubs have been under soft embargo and haven’t been able to register new players. I would have thought that would be under a full embargo? OR, they couldn’t justify the requirement to register new players. For instance having a bloated squad whereby new players are a luxury and not a requirement, not generating any incoming transfer fees to warrant expenditure etc. 

2 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

It said that for the vast majority of the past 18 months we were under an embargo, those 2 signings must have been when we weren't in one.

I read it as saying that the embargo doesn't apply if you have less than 23 senior players. 

Meaning that it doesn't really apply to us for the reasons you've already shown - we are nowhere near 23.

4 minutes ago, AutoWindscreens said:

I read it as saying that the embargo doesn't apply if you have less than 23 senior players. 

Meaning that it doesn't really apply to us for the reasons you've already shown - we are nowhere near 23.

on Wendy's problems

As revealed by The Star, Wednesday can still go about signing players on a free transfer and on non-fee loan deals in order to make up a squad of 23 ‘established players’.

3 hours ago, Spanish said:

I have never been able to find what exactly is a soft embargo.  Maybe there is some movement allowed by EFL whether that could include allowing registrations in certain circumstances is difficult to say

A bit like the pirates code

image.png.4a1d6cf6e99acb50978c30daef584870.png

A soft embargo is when the EFL can approve a transfer and then retrospectively decide they no longer approve it.

To be fair, might save us the hassle of having to get rid of the marquee new signings when we work out they're crap.

13 minutes ago, Taribo said:

A soft embargo is when the EFL can approve a transfer and then retrospectively decide they no longer approve it.

To be fair, might save us the hassle of having to get rid of the marquee new signings when we work out they're crap.

you're joking ,right?

1 minute ago, Taribo said:

Yes!

Meant along the lines of EFL approving our amortization and then retrospectively not. Sorry too sarcastic for my own good.

never can be too certain.?

I'm sort of not onside with this 'approval' commentary 

Our change was discussed with EFL but it was not used in defence at DC due to a technicality.  Therefore there is no definitive view that our policy was approved or not.   What could have happened is that the accounts were filed and, as we know, the disclosures were not sufficient to bring the EFL's attention to the details of our policy (this is fact).  So the people who reviewed the accounts may have been none the wiser and did a tick and turn.

I guess if we get docked points we will appeal (if we can) based on the premise that we had originally provided extensive details previously.  This bit is pretty unknown and we may of course already be engaging on this with either the DC or EFL

4 hours ago, Spanish said:

but some soft embargos have meant a refusal to register new players at all. 

Which clubs were prevented from signing anyone under any terms under a soft embargo?

Edited by 86 Hair Islands
typo

Embargo first team without those who are running out of contract:

Roos 

Byrne       Bielik     Forsyth  Buchanan

Ebosele   Knight    Shinnie     Jozwiak

Sibley

CKR

I thought our situation were worse to be honest. There's obviously gaps in the team, but we would have Marshall, McDonald, Bird, Watson, Lawrence, and Stretton (+Ibe and Marriott) on the bench as well. 2-3 (or 4-5 if we go with 5 at the back) centrebacks and we could sell Knight to make room for Bielik for his preferred midfield role and also improve our attacking options. 

It's far from perfect, but it's decent base to build on. Sign two German CB's and a good goalscorer and we shouldn't have to worry about results. 

Edited by Dimmu

7 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Is the number of 23 a must have rule in order to be allowed to take part?

(Warnock usually likes to have 23 strikers)

When Bolton were experiencing their difficulties they started a season with only 3 senior players under contract, so i'd imagine you can still fill the gaps with youth like they did.