Academy Thread 21/22

Shadowplay

10 minutes ago, angieram said:

I'd do it. Good club and my first love! Mind you, they were a dirty load of bar stewards the games I saw two seasons ago! 

I might try it but only just walked through the door. 

Yeah they need the £5 - there's 32 of us ? Used to live nr Alfreton but don't knpw where the ground is.

Well there's 40 of us watching online now. It's being played with some good pace but our midfield isn't quite joining up. Not getting Cybulski and Plange in the game enough. Festy looking fast and dangerous at times. I like Clarke at CDM and G-P looks interesting at LB. Oh and keen on Solomon at CH. #COYR still one down to a penno.

I like the look of their Trialist no3 at LB.

Edited by RoyMac5

36 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lots of subs. Look lively with some good passing but creating very little. Have we had a shot on target?

Of course, we let Cameron Cresswell go and Jack Stretton has moved up to the first team squad, even if he wasn't injured.

Plange is still very new - and young.

Are we convinced of Festy Ebosele as a forward? I think he's a great full/wing back and a lot better defender than he's given credit for. But if the club want to use his pace further forward, we have to be patient while he learns that role. 

I didn't watch tonight in the end as too much else happening today, but I find these friendlies against local sides a bit frustrating. It's such a physical mis-match and this year that's more obvious than ever with our depleted squad.

15 minutes ago, angieram said:

I didn't watch tonight in the end as too much else happening today, but I find these friendlies against local sides a bit frustrating. It's such a physical mis-match and this year that's more obvious than ever with our depleted squad.

I didn't think there was so much of that this evening. But they didn't manage to attack with much purpose. Not sure where Festy will end up, but he looked a step up of most tonight. Tried a bit too hard and some decision-making a bit off, but exciting. Lots on at the end of the second-half that I didn't recognise.

A penalty was the difference between them and our slightly under strength U23 side - JBrown, Williams, Dixon, LThompson, Wilson and Duncan all missing for one reason or another, but all would be strong contenders to start.

By age, Ebosele should only just be a 1st year pro alongside the likes of Solomon, Plange and Cybulski. Which left Cashin as the only player involved who is a 2nd year pro (don't forget he missed the first half of last season due to injury) and highlights just how young this U23 actually is.

Ryan, Moloney, Robinson, Nicholas-Davies, Eze and Dixon all finished the game, playing the last 20 mins, yet are only first year scholars (16 year olds)

9 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A penalty was the difference between them and our slightly under strength U23 side - JBrown, Williams, Dixon, LThompson, Wilson and Duncan all missing for one reason or another, but all would be strong contenders to start.

Ryan, Moloney, Robinson, Nicholas-Davies, Eze and Dixon all finished the game, playing the last 20 mins, yet are only first year scholars (16 year olds)

Yeah thinking about it later, their penalty was a bit soft (but deserved I think) and we should have been awarded one for a foul in the box, in the 2nd half at 2-0? Their second goal came after there'd been defensive changes and seemed a bit lucky (no replays on Alfreton TV!). The third was just at the end of the game.

I thought we came out really well in the second half much livlier than the first half, which was more passing/possession it seems. But there was not much final third play in either half.

Some of the 16 yr olds in the last 20 minutes didn't look out of place, particularly Robinson (hasn't he played at pro level in NI?) and others whose name escapes as the commo didn't seem to know! ? 

Who was the big lad at CH in the last 20 mins @Ghost of Cloughhe looked to have potential (if only by dint of being tall, lol) but seemed scared to pass forward or come out too far/at all? Is Plange a wide-man or was he played there to let Cybulski be in the middle?

Didn't Clarke come on twice too!? 

I thought I saw somewhere that there was a couple of Moor Farm U23 games lined up, one today against Chelsea?

Edited by RoyMac5

21 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah thinking about it later, their penalty was a bit soft (but deserved I think) and we should have been awarded one for a foul in the box, in the 2nd half at 2-0? Their second goal came after there'd been defensive changes and seemed a bit lucky (no replays on Alfreton TV!). The third was just at the end of the game.

I thought we came out really well in the second half much livlier than the first half, which was more passing/possession it seems. But there was not much final third play in either half.

Some of the 16 yr olds in the last 20 minutes didn't look out of place, particularly Robinson (hasn't he played at pro level in NI?) and others whose name escapes as the commo didn't seem to know! ? 

Who was the big lad at CH in the last 20 mins @Ghost of Cloughhe looked to have potential (if only by dint of being tall, lol) but seemed scared to pass forward or come out too far/at all? Is Plange a wide-man or was he played there to let Cybulski be in the middle?

Didn't Clarke come on twice too!? 

I thought I saw somewhere that there was a couple of Moor Farm U23 games lined up, one today against Chelsea?

The Chelsea fixture appears to have been removed from the official site.

Ryan is the CB - has the tall gangliness of Tyrone Mings ?

I agree on Robinson. Always looked to get on the ball.

Plange plays RW and CF. We'll probably see him more on the wing this season due to having Duncan and Cybulski as CF options, whereas only Wilson and SThompson on the wing.

Team at the end was something like this, although I'm not sure on the actual arrangement of the attackers:

Roberts

Brailsford   Christie   Ryan   Moloney

Matthews   Robinson

Eze   Ebosele   Nicholas-Davies

Dixon

30 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Team at the end was something like this, although I'm not sure on the actual arrangement of the attackers:

Roberts

Brailsford   Christie   Ryan   Moloney

Matthews   Robinson

Eze   Ebosele   Nicholas-Davies

Dixon

CJ Clarke was definitely on again at the end, because I recognise him as I rate him ? 

Do you know who their trialist no3 LB was, thought he looked decent, always in the right place and not much got past him.

5 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who was the big lad at CH in the last 20 mins @Ghost of Cloughhe looked to have potential (if only by dint of being tall, lol) but seemed scared to pass forward or come out too far/at all?

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Ryan is the CB - has the tall gangliness of Tyrone Mings ?

Agreed it was Kain Ryan, left-footed and played as the left-sided CB alongside Eli Christie. I saw Ryan hit two long-range forward passes, one a superb cross-field ball that found our right-winger, the other a more speculative one into their half that found no-one. 21 minutes isn’t anywhere near enough time to judge but I thought Ryan showed promise.

1 hour ago, Stuniverse said:

Agreed it was Kain Ryan, left-footed and played as the left-sided CB alongside Eli Christie. I saw Ryan hit two long-range forward passes, one a superb cross-field ball that found our right-winger, the other a more speculative one into their half that found no-one. 21 minutes isn’t anywhere near enough time to judge but I thought Ryan showed promise.

Yes I agree, but as you say 21 minutes not really enough ?

3 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

Wasn’t there meant to be an U23 game against Chelsea U23’s kicking off at 1.00 pm today?

And wasn't there one against Boro U23s tomorrow? At the time I read it I thought that one most unlikely!