Academy Thread 21/22

Shadowplay

On 22/07/2021 at 19:00, Pearl Ram said:

You surprise me Roy, being a man of a certain vintage I would have thought the late Les Green (RIP) would have reminded you you don’t have to be overly tall to be a decent goalie. 

On 22/07/2021 at 19:41, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. He was a cracking goalie. Don't think Given was that tall? Yeah I'm a heightist with keepers! ?

In the modern game it's brutal but you have to be heightist with keepers. Given was probably the shortest to play in the Premier League, yet we wasted our time with Mitchell who was a couple of inches shorter still. It seems Foulkes has signed, so I hope he's at least over 1.86m (6 foot 1).

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

In the modern game it's brutal but you have to be heightist with keepers. Given was probably the shortest to play in the Premier League, yet we wasted our time with Mitchell who was a couple of inches shorter still. It seems Foulkes has signed, so I hope he's at least over 1.86m (6 foot 1).

Clive Baker at 5'9" when he played for Ipswich is I think the smallest in the PL era, as you say though Given was on the smaller side for a keeper especially as when he was coming through there was a rush of getting giant Scandinavian keepers in for cheap. I'm the same age group as Given and 5' 10 1/2" and was told at 17 that I was too small and was released from a league club, my best mate who was at Derby at the same time was a bit smaller than me and was also released albeit a year later.

You have to be pretty special to be on the shorter side and make it, eg. Given, Casillas.

20 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

Highlights of Derby County U18s 3-3 Burton Albion U18s is up on the official DCFC website:

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2021/07/u18-highlights-Derby-county-3-3-burton-albion

No coverage on Twitter and no match report so line-up not known.

Having watched the highlights a few times, I reckon the Team and Subs (with some I’m not sure about) was:

1 Roberts, 2 Brailsford, 3 Moloney, 4 Robinson, 5 Ryan, 6 Christie ?, 7 Trialist B (Richards), 8 Sebagabo, 9 Dixon, 10 ????, 11 Reece-Davies. Subs: 12 ????, 14 ????, 15 Cybulski, 16 ????, 17 ????, 18 Grewal-Pollard

Anybody able to confirm and / or fill in the gaps? @Ghost of Clough?

Wouldn’t surprise me if some of the gaps were trialists.

Edited by Stuniverse

17 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Pah, heightist schmeitest I say. ?

52 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Having watched the highlights a few times, I reckon the Team and Subs (with some I’m not sure about) was:

1 Roberts, 2 Brailsford, 3 Moloney, 4 Robinson, 5 Ryan, 6 Christie ?, 7 Trialist B (Richards), 8 Sebagabo, 9 Dixon, 10 ????, 11 Reece-Davies. Subs: 12 ????, 14 ????, 15 Cybulski, 16 ????, 17 ????, 18 Grewal-Pollard

Anybody able to confirm and / or fill in the gaps? @Ghost of Clough?

Wouldn’t surprise me if some of the gaps were trialists.

Moore, Rutt, Aideyan, Ibrahim, Fapetu, Borkovic, Eze and Kelly are the others from the U18 squad, although most don't appear to have been involved. The subs actually appear to be mostly 1st year pros

10 Trialist?
12 Eze?
14 Seb Thompson?
16 Perez de Gracia?
17Trialist?

7 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Moore, Rutt, Aideyan, Ibrahim, Fapetu, Borkovic, Eze and Kelly are the others from the U18 squad, although most don't appear to have been involved. The subs actually appear to be mostly 1st year pros

10 Trialist?
12 Eze?
14 Seb Thompson?
16 Perez de Gracia?
17Trialist?

Thanks, @Ghost of Clough. I did wonder if 14 was Seb Thompson but knew he went off injured in the first-half against Matlock. Looks like he’s made a speedy recovery.

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

There's Jordan Brown.

Foulkes

Bardell   Solomon   JBrown   WGP

Matthews   Clarke

ADG   Aghatise   SThompson

Plange

This CB partnership gives a big hint towards the first team selection which will be announced in 20 mins. Its good to see JBrown back, who must fancy his chances of having a run in the first team this season.

If my memory is correct, Wilson is the only player we haven't seen in pre-season yet. Hopefully, his recovery is going as expected.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Lost 2-0 but still missing a lot of senior U23s. Bench was full of 16 year olds.

Cashin, Williams, LThompson, Dixon, Wilson, and Cybulski missing from the squad. Hutchinson will likely be involved a lot with the U23s this season too, with him being on the fringes of the first team

And seems there's that Bobby Duncan fella too to come in presumably? Or is he that far away he's not even competing for the U23 bench?

20 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If my memory is correct, Wilson is the only player we haven't seen in pre-season yet. Hopefully, his recovery is going as expected.

Of the U23s, I think Connor Dixon, Bobby Duncan, Tyree Wilson and Jack Stretton (muscle strain) are the ones with no pre-season playing time so far. Stretton is probably in the first-team squad, at least for now.

Is Wilson still injured, @Ghost of Clough? I assume this is from when he went off injured in the penultimate U23 game of last season against Man Utd. Do we know what his injury is? I, too, wish him a speedy recovery.

I’ve been tracking playing time minutes for pre-season as best I can (given that I’ve not seen confirmed lineups or any reports for the U18s game v Burton Albion U18s) and will post these shortly.

Edited by Stuniverse

Academy pre-season playing time

These stats are correct, to the best of my knowledge, up to 31st July 2021 Derby County U23s v Sheffield United U23s, with the exception of the U18s game v Burton Albion for which I have been unable to find confirmed team lineups or reports.

If anybody has the team lineup for the U18s v Burton Albion U18s and, even better, timings of substitutions please let me know. Many thanks.

001a_Academy_pre-season_up_to_20210801.thumb.png.67946f756640cc525c8898620e857740.png

001b_Academy_pre-season_up_to_20210801.thumb.png.5d8269a4efb52884cefa609f73e35b0c.png

001c_Academy_pre-season_up_to_20210801.thumb.png.94ef177d2bf2e92ba835dc800570e773.png

Edited by Stuniverse

13 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Of the U23s, I think Connor Dixon, Bobby Duncan, Tyree Wilson and Jack Stretton (muscle strain) are the ones with no pre-season playing time so far. Stretton is probably in the first-team squad, at least for now.

Is Wilson still injured, @Ghost of Clough? I assume this is from when he went off injured in the penultimate U23 game of last season against Man Utd. Do we know what his injury is? I, too, wish him a speedy recovery.

I’ve been tracking playing time minutes for pre-season as best I can (given that I’ve not seen confirmed lineups or any reports for the U18s game v Burton Albion U18s) and will post these shortly.

I've assumed Dixon is with the first team. With no signings, it would be Dixon and LThompson providing the cover for Shinnie and Bird.

Wilson could still be injured or struggling with the off-field stuff. Either way he needs more time.

Stretton definitely in the first team and has returned to training. Duncan awol.