The UEFA European Championship 2020 Thread

David

16 minutes ago, Alpha said:

My favourite bit was where England gave away a corner by passing backwards so much when they started on the halfway line

ITV are calling it much more lively and that spark was there. Kane looked more involved, they said. 

Er.. lol. 

I don’t know why you watch football - it makes you so miserable!

Much better first half- lively, more intense. Grealish and Saka very good. Second half, professional. Job done. Big test on Tuesday. Need the front 3-4 firing. 

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

My favourite bit was where England gave away a corner by passing backwards so much when they started on the halfway line

We're not good enough to pass it near our own box when teams press high. 

I quoted Boris Johnson tonight in regard to Kyle Walker,  a la Hancock, for his inability to pass the ball forward. At one point he actually went past a player then performed a superb pirouette so he could face back towards his own goal.

Someone should invent a word for it. 

We will not beat better teams by continually passing backwards, it saps belief, draws negativity from the fans and boils my pish far more than it should. It also then makes it really difficult to switch to a more aggressive style, you can't just switch it on and off.

19 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Gave us a footballing lesson by all accounts and ended up with 1 goal and 1 point.

Meanwhile, we scrambled our way to 7 points (and 2 goals).

Footballing lesson? Give over ?

At least their last game was at Hampden so they can just walk home with their precious memories of that 0-0 draw safe in their hearts.

Grealish and Saka the highlights for us. Overall thought it was pretty poor again, but thats Southgates doing rather than the players. Still think we're going to struggle as soon as we play one of the big boys in the competition.

3 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Could be England vs France/Portugal/Germany at Wembley

Tasty...

I think it could in theory be Hungary also but that is somewhat less likely. 

I think both France and Germany will win the final group games and so we'll face ze Germans. 

31 years since we beat a top team in a knockout match. Big ask for this team. 

The tournament brackets are shaping up a fair bit now, even without the ability to really know which third placed side is going where.

England now know that if we play any of Italy, Belgium or the winner of Group F (France or Germany) at any point, then it would only be in the final.

On our side of the draw is Netherlands, Wales, Denmark and again like between whichever of France/Germany doesn't win their group. Add in the winner of Group E (Sweden, Spain?) and that might be as hard as our side gets. If we can get through on Tuesday then we really should feel that we have a great chance of making the final.

9 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

We're not good enough to pass it near our own box when teams press high. 

I quoted Boris Johnson tonight in regard to Kyle Walker,  a la Hancock, for his inability to pass the ball forward. At one point he actually went past a player then performed a superb pirouette so he could face back towards his own goal.

Someone should invent a word for it. 

We will not beat better teams by continually passing backwards, it saps belief, draws negativity from the fans and boils my pish far more than it should. It also then makes it really difficult to switch to a more aggressive style, you can't just switch it on and off.

That's the worry. The team looks good until they decide to drain all pace and aggression out the game and "control" the tempo. 

As you said, I don't think they'll be able to turn it on as easy as that and I expect the lack of real momentum to cause them problems now. 

How can that turgid nonsense give players confidence and momentum. Harry Kane needs something to liven him up

7 minutes ago, Kernow said:

The tournament brackets are shaping up a fair bit now, even without the ability to really know which third placed side is going where.

England now know that if we play any of Italy, Belgium or the winner of Group F (France or Germany) at any point, then it would only be in the final.

On our side of the draw is Netherlands, Wales, Denmark and again like between whichever of France/Germany doesn't win their group. Add in the winner of Group E (Sweden, Spain?) and that might be as hard as our side gets. If we can get through on Tuesday then we really should feel that we have a great chance of making the final.

Blimey, don’t want to p on your optimism chips but there’s a little bit of an IF there ?

I'm hanging on to one thing. The general feeling tonight from over the border is they ran out of energy, looked tired and leggy. We have controlled games without busting a gut. And whatever team comes out of that disgusting group will have had 3 tough games. 

Then I remembered Stones had to be subbed from CB for being knackered after running down the right hand side out of position. 

Edited by Norman