The UEFA European Championship 2020 Thread

Day

2 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

No argument here, the question remains… So why aren’t we sitting someone on him?

Because we wanted to play on the front foot and attack as well. He's so good he'd still make things happen if we had someone sitting on him.

5 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Our toughest group game on paper and so it's very good to come out on top. 

Do we want to win the group though, look who we could play ?

Props to Phillips who for the most part had a good game despite my and others reservations.

Thought Sterling was a bit hit and miss, lacked a bit of sharpness, but then so did several others. 

We looked a little shaky in defence. A sharper team would maybe have got something against us, but on the whole, there were glimpses of something good, and a really positive start to the tournament.

4 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Its a tough one isnt it, is a bit all over the place for the second round, some group winners play best 3rd place, in our group win or come second we play runners up which is a bit odd, normally if you finish second you would expect to be up against the winner of a group.

Guess its to make it work for the extra round we are getting this time.

I suppose if you plan on winning it you should be confident of beating anyone anyway, but if we beat scotland friday and have a top two spot secured, knowing you could then lose the last game and finish 2nd you would be tempted to field your weakest team.

2 minutes ago, MrPlinkett said:

Its a tough one isnt it, is a bit all over the place for the second round, some group winners play best 3rd place, in our group win or come second we play runners up which is a bit odd, normally if you finish second you would expect to be up against the winner of a group.

Guess its to make it work for the extra round we are getting this time.

I suppose if you plan on winning it you should be confident of beating anyone anyway, but if we beat scotland friday and have a top two spot secured, knowing you could then lose the last game and finish 2nd you would be tempted to field your weakest team.

Yeah we should want to beat everyone shouldn’t we but I’d prefer it as easy as possible just for the nerves. Anyway more than anything we need to beat Scotland (just because!!!) 

11 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Well if we actually want to do well we should expect to have to beat the best teams. 

Never did quite sit right with me watching sven Goran eriksson smirking as we got "favourable" draws at tournaments. Never did seem to do us any good. 

1 minute ago, TexasRam said:

Yeah we should want to beat everyone shouldn’t we but I’d prefer it as easy as possible just for the nerves. Anyway more than anything we need to beat Scotland (just because!!!) 

Yeah important to beat them. Then its in our hands whatever we decide to do in the last game.

France will probably win the other group, be nice to put the Germans out in round 2 though. I reckon we would beat Germany or Portugal now.

Just as an aside on Phillips. Just before his contribution to the goal the commentary was about how he might have been fortunate to escape a yellow card for persistent fouls. Must have been pinged 6 or 7 times in the match. 

Just needs to take care not to get a reputation or else refs will be looking for easy bookings. 

Trademark goal from Southgate's team. I'm struggling to keep the count how many times that has worked and even though it is difficult to defend, it's not impossible. 

I'm at the same time surprised and not surprised at all that it happened. Mostly surprised how team such as Croatia didn't defend it better.

Happy. Organised performance, 1-0 fair result but even allowing for the temperature we do look prone to Derbyism. Slow to move the ball, a tad too much Sidey backwards patience and a bit of panache missing. .. interesting that the goal came when Phillips decided to attack the ball and move forward. Fortune favours the brave. We won, but I can’t help feeling a bit flat when the defence was the best unit in the team. Maybe that’s why I am not a manager ?

Very pleased for Sterling to get an early goal in the tournament as his confidence looked shot before then. Could make all the difference. Walker was dreadful and I find it extraordinary Southgate plays him when we have such good full backs. I'd have Trippier right and Chilwell left, but even Trippier and Shaw would be a massive improvement.

Mount oozes class. Phillips typical dirty Leeds but their players are immune from bookings. We seemed to refuse to play down the right, always looking to come down the left-hand side. And, much like Derby, we don't really know how to play out from the back. There was one crazy moment in the second half when Pickford decided to take a long goal kick, but instead of the fullbacks short and wide, drawing the Croatian players on so the long kick would be a surprise and stretch our opponents, he sent them away upfield and condensed the game!

But a tremendous boost to win the first game and against such strong opponents. A decent performance with room for improvement, which is exactly what you want in the early stages of a long tournament.

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Very pleased for Sterling to get an early goal in the tournament as his confidence looked shot before then. Could make all the difference. Walker was dreadful and I find it extraordinary Southgate plays him when we have such good full backs. I'd have Trippier right and Chilwell left, but even Trippier and Shaw would be a massive improvement.

Mount oozes class. Phillips typical dirty Leeds but their players are immune from bookings. We seemed to refuse to play down the right, always looking to come down the left-hand side. 

?

...we don't really know how to play out from the back.

Can't understand why we don't know where to play the ball, when Rice was stood pointing where all match. Really earned his place. ? Mings is a bit iffy with the ball at his feet and Walker is just iffy.

Edited by RoyMac5